Covers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MonaVox

Rock n' Roll Doggie
Anyone heard any awesome covers lately? Or ever?

I just downloaded and listened to Sheryl Crow covering the Rolling Stones' "Wild Horses"

also lover her "Sweet Child o Mine"

also like Tori Amos' "Purple Rain"

what else?

Neil Finn's cover of the Smith's "There is a light that never goes out" is out of this world...bang on...you'd think Morrissey was singing...

sorry, i have to say it...

duran duran has done excellent covers of "come up and see me (make me smile)" and "perfect day." they also did an interestingly different, but good cover of "fame."

Tori does an awesome cover of Bruce's "I'm on Fire"

Billy Idol did a cover of "Don't You Forget About Me" that is cool.

I :heart: U2's version of "Paint it Black"

For some reason David Lee Roth's cover of "California Girls" always makes me laugh. I think it's that the video is so ridiculous.

Hello,

Bruce Springsteen has some absolutely awesome covers. His version of Raise Your Hand is exploding, as is rendition of War (both can be found on Live 1975-1985).
Aretha Franklin's Respect is unsurpassable (it's even better than Otis Redding's original).
I have to admit that I've never heard the original, but Nirvana's Where Did You Sleep Last Night (off the Unplugged album) is heartbreaking.

I have to look now if I know more stunning covers (ie. better than the original).

C ya!

Marty

P.S. I haven't mentioned any covers by U2 because I want this thread to be about other music (so it's not a question whether or not they have good covers (which they have)

I don't think this really counts as a cover...

but Eminem's "Sing for the Moment" samples Aerosmith's "Dream On" and I canNOT stop listening to it. I love it.

Other covers....Pete Yorn's take on "Dancing in the Dark" and "New York City Serenade" and "Panic"

Eva Cassidy...like everything she does is covers. Her voice is amazing

Rage Against the Machine's version of "The Ghost of Tom Joad" :) awesome :drool:

o and I think Train does a cool "Light My Fire" too

yertle-the-turtle said:
I second the Neil Finn-Smiths cover.

If you're up for a laugh, get Ben Folds' version of Champagne Supernova.

Ryan Adams does "Wonderwall" and makes fun of the Gallagher bros at the end :silent: accents and swearing and such :laugh:

I've been mentioneing this one a lot lately, but this seems to be the official place to do it.
LUKA BLOOM!!! 'Throw Your Arms Around Me" (Hunter's &Collectors). A friend gave me a Luka compilation Cd, so I don't know what albums they are from, but he also covers "Dancing Queen"and "I Can't Help Falling In Love With You". Just beautiful, especially the first one, his voice cracks on the second chorus, gets me every time.:sad:
Willie Nelson and Sinead O'Connor do a version of Peter gabriels' "Don't Give Up" ( I sincerely believe that song and version saved my life one day....thanks)
I Bought Dolly Parton's album 'Little Sparrow" she covers "Shine" a song my hub really likes. Also " I get a Kick Out of You" (it swings, a bit of fun) and the one that means a lot to me "In The Sweet By and By" (Pop's fave) . The band Altan acompany her on some of that album. Sweet.
So very many...Christy Moore's version of "First Time Ever I saw Your face " is divine.

You guys won't get to hear thsi but my hub's band play santana's "Love of My Life" and "Smooth", Joe satriani's "Surfing With The Alien".........all good:yes: :wink:

PS: that song Popmartijn:hug: mentions covered by Nirvana. I heard it years ago on a Long John Baldry album, and loved it, so I was delighted to hear Nirvana cover it too.

I like it under the covers:wave:

PS: my version of Running To Stand Still is pretty dang hot...imho:eeklaugh: **cass runs**

Face to Face did In a Big Country, I actually prefer their version of it, and I used to LOVE the old version.

Actually...as much as I prefer the original version by XTC....Sarah McLachlan did an amazing version of "Dear God". Lots of emotion there!

Man, I gotta hear that Wonderwall thing.

On a side note I remember at one of Ryan's UK shows he actually brought Noel Gallagher on stage and performed Morning Glory with him, so no hard feelings, eh?

As for covers, the Pet Shop Boys' versions of Go West and Always On My Mind are amazing, but provided you're into the type of music they make. Here Comes The Sun done by Travis (on the B-side to Flowers In The Window) is pretty nice too.

EDIT: I remembered another good one! Pearl Jam's version of Neil Young's Rockin' In The Free World kicks major butt.

Last edited:
I like Eddie Vedder's cover of Hide Your Love Away-there are a few good Beatles covers on the I Am Sam soundtrack.

One of my all time fave covers is David Bowie and Bing Crosby's version of Little Drummer Boy :wink: :eek:

ah yes, I detest most covers
I like REM playing covers because they usually end up sounding like a band you could get to play on your wedding instead of superstars

Sonic Youth did a good cover of a Carpenters song (can't remember the name of the song) and the Smashing Pumpkins did a great cover of Dancing in the Moonlight

Back
Top Bottom