Corny Point, South Australia Superthread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the reply to this thread that I was going to make, but decided not to:

http://www.u2interference.com/forums/f196/album-delay-the-real-reasons-189586-10.html

Regardless of how much? In general? What if Bono saved the world from a fucking alien army via diplomacy or invented a type of dynamite that cures cancer and instead some nobody Midwestern knob got the prize for saving a ferret? Is that fair? It is not. It is not fair at all, and you should sit down and think about this, U2Girl. Look into your heart.

Right. Hope it's all fixed soon. I do think it's a bit odd that the forum is now u2.interference - what next, radiohead.interference? :wink:

Well it's to get interference more hits on google, apparently sites iwth u2 in the link get more hits..

Well it's to get interference more hits on google, apparently sites iwth u2 in the link get more hits..

Ah, more ad revenue.

Because this site is losing sooooo much money. I wonder how U2gigs and U2wanderer cope with NO ads! Their owners must be so impoverished.

Oh, wait.

I'd love to see how Interference is losing so much money despite all the ads and all the traffic, doesn't seem to make much sense

I could mount a very strong argument from experience about ads, but I really don't think it would be of any use. I'm sure it would just prove to be mostly preaching to the choir, and won't change any minds. I'm uncomfortable with a trend on the Internet in general, to use communities simply as a business and for revenue. Webhosting isn't free, of course, but I don't know, I'd like to think that if I'm interacting with people, it's as part of a community that the owner believes in, not as a commercial venture.

Yeah Axver if Interference keeps this up it will start to feel like the only reason the forums are here is too make money. Which I can't blame them for wanting to do but...

I'd love to see how Interference is losing so much money despite all the ads and all the traffic, doesn't seem to make much sense

I would love to see the stats about what's being maintained. I have a hard time believing this place is a lossmaker.

Let me use U2gigs as an example. We have the largest U2 photos archive online; something in the order of 11,000 pictures, and that's plenty of webspace, I assure you. The setlist data is accessed in real time, so whenever you go to, say, 11 O'clock Tick Tock's page, the data is generated right then from the latest stats on the backend (in other words, if you tell me a new stat, it goes live to the site immediately; there's no waiting for the main site to synch with the backend). When you realise we have thousands of visitors even at the most inactive periods, you realise that's asking a lot, given all the data you can request. Plus U2start is constantly using the site as it relies on our setlists, so there's even more demand. Aaaaand just to top it off, we're still maintaining elevation-tour.com and U2setlists.com as different sites (some people prefer the U2setlists format, and we see no need to ditch elevation-tour's design should anybody still be using it since, guess what, it's not sending us broke keeping it).

There is not an ad on the site. You cannot pay us a cent for anything.

Hence, in light of all that, I don't know how Interference could possibly be struggling when it has the virtue of premium memberships and already had some ads!

Because this site is losing sooooo much money.

I don't mean to butt in, but if only Andy would let the public know about the business aspect of this site I think more people would understand and be less inclined to be so pissed off. Because no, it is not making any money and he put a very large amount of money into it when he purchased the site so I can understand his frustration and being worried about it. He is also trying to make an effort to please people (he's working on the premium thing and the ability for them to turn the ads off) but at the same time, with any business investment, you want the investment to make money, or at least break even. So please try not to be so hard on him. That's all.

Hence, in light of all that, I don't know how Interference could possibly be struggling when it has the virtue of premium memberships and already had some ads!

Since Andy purchased the site, he extended everyone's premium membership, so really, very few new premiums have come in since then. He told me the other day that the ads made like $3.00 in one day. That is shit. It would actually help if everyone say clicked on 1 ad a day, but I guess he doesnt want to have to ask people to do that. I am not sure I can share any more details, but as I said above, trust me.. this site is NOT making tons of money by far.

I still listen to full albums a lot, sometimes I just listen on shuffle for a while until a song comes up that makes me want to hear a certain album

Right now I'm listening using party shuffle while I write my essay...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom