Coolest sporting event you've witnessed in the flesh?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HeartlandGirl

Rock n' Roll Doggie ALL ACCESS
Anyone care to share?

My favorite would have to be when my dad, husband, and I drove to Detroit for a wedding, and when we walked in the door, my aunt gave us tickets to see the Red Wings at the Joe. Since I'm a huge fan, to luck into tickets was awesome. It was also when they were defending Stanley Cup champs, so tickets were hard to come by.

Most infamous: I was at the Oklahoma/Colorado football game when the Boomer Schooner fell over.

Surely someone else has got better ones. Let's hear 'em!

------------------
U2 @ The Blooming Heart

saw every home game of the maple leafs 94 cup run, right up to wayne gretzky high sticking douggie gilmour, and not getting a penalty before scoring the game winner.

saw the jays in the world series for a game but i don't like baseball so that was kind of a wasted ticket.

In '92, I went to Disneyland, and got the LAST TWO tickets for the Kings vs. the Habs at the Great Western Forum in Inglewood Cal. Gretzky was still in his prime (yes, he had the magic then), and I got to see him score 4 points against Patrick Roy (a goal and three assists). He could have had 5 points, but he tripped over his own feet while on a clear cut breakaway. It was as though he tripped over the red line. All the fans were on their feet, all anticipating a big goal, but were suddenly left in total disbelief as he fell. Gretzky just doesn't trip over the red line, you know? Especially not on break-aways.

To Kobayashi:

I remember that alleged high stick against Gilmour, but as I remember it was really only Don Cherry who agreed it was a legitimate high stick (as he's practically in love with Gilmour). Gretzky simply took a slap shot, and on the back-swing clipped Gilmour -- who was crouching down very low towards the ice at the time, I might add. It wasn't at all intentional, and nor was it high. Gilmour shouldn't have had his face down by the ice, especially behind a back-swing.

By the way, do remember game 7 of that series? Gretzky getting 3 goals, and 1 assist in Maple Leaf Gardens, scoring the winner off a bank shot that no else could have ever imagined in that situation. That may have been his greatest NHL game, ever.

------------------
The Tempest

[This message has been edited by Michael Griffiths (edited 05-17-2002).]

Originally posted by HeartlandGirl:
Anyone care to share?

1. Cal Ripken's last game.

2. I saw Bobby Knight's last great Hoosier team make their first trip to Penn State in 1993 and get handled by a pretty pathetic Nittany Lion bunch. State had them beat, but with less than 30 seconds to play in regulation, the zebras obliged the number one team in the country at the time with two inexcusable calls. Indy won in double OT.

Yes I was there for both of the Newcastle games. Although memorably I walked out of the last one with one minute to go in disgust, thus missing the final goal.

haha! yes I can imagine football can have the journos hastily rewriting their leads

I left the cricket with a couple overs to go one year, Nasser Hussain and Mark Ramprakash had put together a longish partnership to keep out the aussie bowlers...halfway to the parked car we heard a roar, then another, then another. On the car radio we discovered England had lost both batsmen and the nightwatchman in the last couple overs hehe

Most memorable sporting events, hmmm

1. Adelaide Crows v West Coast AFL game 1995- they were defending premiers and undedeated thru the 1st three games of the new season, whereas we'd lost our 1st two. We scored 4 goals in the final quarter (wed only managed 3 to 3 quarter time) and came from behind to win by a few points

2......the rest are all cricket so i wont bother hehe

Saw game 5 of the '86 World Series, when Bruce Hurst pitched the Red Sox to a 3-2 series lead, don't remember what happened the rest of the series.
Possibly the most amazing individual performane was game 5 of first round of NBA playoffs(1990 or 1991), Celtics vs. Pacers.
Larry Bird was late in his career, playing with a bad back. Took a cheap shot forearm to the back from Chuck Person, and had to leave for the locker room. Returned to a thunderous ovation, took the game over in the 4th quarter and led the Celts to victory.

Other amazing feats:
Freddie Patek (all 5'4" of him) hitting 3 homers and doubling high off the green monster at Fenway.( He probably had like 8 career homers)
Minnesota Twins turning2 triple plays in one game at Fenway.
Missed Yaz' 3000th hit by one night.

Originally posted by brettig:
Did u see either of the Liverpool 4 Newcastle 3 games in 96-97?

Which website do you use to find these stats?
tongue.gif

Um, I guess mine, apart from a whole bunch of great AFL games, would be the 2000 Olympic and Para Olympic games. Up til that point I'd always been proud of my country and loved the live atmosphere of any game but not in a Rah Rah kind of way. That changed everything though, when we scored the 1st goal of the game (it was a soccer match) I could finally understand what made a spectator cry with joy. Half the stadium cried, and I got all emotional and funny over it too. Weird. With the para games, it was different. We saw many events as they sold day passes and you could just wander around and see whatever was on. Those athletes are phenomenal. Nobody gave a hoot really what country they were representing. They all shone. Quite an unbelievabe experience. Actually one event, was the track, about a 50 metre sprint. One competitor was itellectually disabled. He was dancing around the start and not looking very serious, His coach jogged up to him clamed him down and the race started. he took off like z shit and kept running and running and running until the same coach had to go chasing after him to tell him it was over and he won. When it came time for the medal presentation, the whole stadium errupted. He didnt seem too interested in his medal, just the fact that everybody was cheering his name. So he turns the the camera and does a big thumbs up and another little dance. I have never seen a medal presentation go for so long. It was so funny and so...great. Just fantastic stuff.

Originally posted by Michael Griffiths:
To kobayashi:

I remember that alleged high stick against Gilmour, but as I remember it was really only Don Cherry who agreed it was a legitimate high stick (as he's practically in love with Gilmour). Gretzky simply took a slap shot, and on the back-swing clipped Gilmour -- who was crouching down very low towards the ice at the time, I might add. It wasn't at all intentional, and nor was it high. Gilmour shouldn't have had his face down by the ice, especially behind a back-swing.

By the way, do remember game 7 of that series? Gretzky getting 3 goals, and 1 assist in Maple Leaf Gardens, scoring the winner off a bank shot that no else could have ever imagined in that situation. That may have been his greatest NHL game, ever.

ahhh, don't come into toronto saying that
wink.gif
truly a moment that will never be forgotten but may be partially healed soon if the leafs can pass the canes
biggrin.gif
to be honest i don't clearly remember the play and haven't seen it for ages but your version of events sounds plausible(cherry + toronto being in arms over nothing
wink.gif
)

i do remember that night. i was only 13, convinced the maple leafs were gonna win that night and a few days later i would be at the cup final games. i was so disappointed goind home. only later did i realize what an incredible performance it was by gretz.

infamous: When Cleveland Browns' player Orlando Brown was hit in the eye by a ref's flagrant flag. The result was he pushed the ref over, and was ejected.

Liverpool V Barcelona, Uefa Cup Semi 2nd Leg 2001

Been to Anfield a few times, but this was the best! The game itself wasn't exactly a cracker, Liverpool won 1-0 with a Gary Mac penalty, but it was edge of the seat stuff! The atmosphere was what did it though, unbelievable! Singing and screaming the team on all through the 90 minutes, apparently it wasn't as atmospheric since the St Etienne game. Blew me away anyway!

Not in the "flesh" as much, but watchin Ireland beat Holland 1-0 at Slane2 on the big screen last year, with 85000 others. That was fantastic! The place went feckin ballistic when McAteer scored, and when the whistle went...
biggrin.gif
Bodies everywhere going mental with bliss! Wonderful day, really set the gig up superbly too, I'd say it was better than been at Lansdowne in fact!

1995 World Series, Game 6

Tom Glavine throws 8 innings, gives up just one hit. David Justice cracks a solo homer for the only run of the game. Braves win 1-0 and capture the 1st major championship for Atlanta.

Papua New Guinea Open Schoolboys vs NSW Country Schoolboys, Rugby League.
Our school billeted the PNG team, so I got to know them briefly. They were absolutely thrashed in the game, but I'll never forget the sound of their voices coming from the dressing room before the game, singing their national anthem in harmony.Very moving.

So really it was a musical moment, rather than sport I suppose, it's a fond memory.

Professional sport? Taking my elderly dad to see the West Indies play cricket at his local ground . Well technically he took me. He paid for the tickets, bit I drove him there.

if the maple leafs get by the canes i'll be at one or two of the stanley cup final games in toronto
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
...and if they play detroit i might get in there as well
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

i saw cathy freeman win gold at the sydney olympics.
it was the most awesome sporting thing ive ever witnessed, especially when the whole crowd sang advance australia fair. absolutely incredible.
i also saw michael johnson win gold that day.

many cricket games. im not good with stats but i was at the game where australia needed 4 runs off the last ball to win the world series.
who was that against?
i dont remember but it was the best cricket game ive ever seen.
i was standing on my seat cheering.
i also saw warney get a few milestones and was at one of those matches where he bowled between the legs lol
no, not the first one in England with Gatting. this was at the SCG.

------------------
I am a cowgirl of funk

*Last Train to Bono*

Originally posted by zooropamanda:
i was at the game where australia needed 4 runs off the last ball to win the world series.
who was that against?
i dont remember but it was the best cricket game ive ever seen.
i was standing on my seat cheering.
i also saw warney get a few milestones and was at one of those matches where he bowled between the legs lol
no, not the first one in England with Gatting. this was at the SCG.

The 1st match you refer to was Australia vs the West Indies, New Years Day 1996. Michael Bevan hit the last ball from Roger Harper for 4 to win the game. Funny how u thought it was to win the world series, it was just a preliminary game, we went on to beat Sri Lanka 2 nil in the finals series to win the trophy that year, although Sri Lanka ended up winning the 1996 World Cup on the subcontinent.

As far as Warney, I know you were at the game when he cracked the 300 wicket milestone in 1998, but as for bowling someone round their legs, I dont think hes done that very often at the SCG, the only one i can think of was in early 1994 when he got Pat Symcox during the game where he took 12 wickets in the match but Fanie DeVilliers took 10 and the Proteas won by 5 runs. He did bowl Chivnarine Chanderpaul out of the rough with a huge legbreak in the Aus v Windies test in November 1996 though, so you prolly saw that one too.

[This message has been edited by brettig (edited 05-24-2002).]

Lakers vs. Clippers, Staples Center, 5th row. It's amazing how truly huge Shaq is in person. I also called Rick Fox a fine hunk of man, and he heard me.

haha

actually I remembered another bowled round the legs instance last night- Basit Ali bowled between his legs by the last ball of the day in 1995, I can remember Richie having a heart attack over that one...

--------------
Speeeeeeeeeeeeeeecial

Originally posted by brettig:
The 1st match you refer to was Australia vs the West Indies, New Years Day 1996. Michael Bevan hit the last ball from Roger Harper for 4 to win the game. Funny how u thought it was to win the world series, it was just a preliminary game, we went on to beat Sri Lanka 2 nil in the finals series to win the trophy that year, although Sri Lanka ended up winning the 1996 World Cup on the subcontinent.

As far as Warney, I know you were at the game when he cracked the 300 wicket milestone in 1998, but as for bowling someone round their legs, I dont think hes done that very often at the SCG, the only one i can think of was in early 1994 when he got Pat Symcox during the game where he took 12 wickets in the match but Fanie DeVilliers took 10 and the Proteas won by 5 runs. He did bowl Chivnarine Chanderpaul out of the rough with a huge legbreak in the Aus v Windies test in November 1996 though, so you prolly saw that one too.

[This message has been edited by brettig (edited 05-24-2002).]

Thanks for that Bruce!

this was even better than just watching, i was in it. it would have to be my senior year district soccer game. just the way both teams were so passionate about the game...every ball chased after like it could be the game winner. it ended up being a 0-0 draw through regulation and 2 overtimes. it then went to a shoot-out where we lost 5-4. even though we lost, it was the best experience i have ever had playing soccer...even down to the fog behind the goal during the shootout so all you could see was the keeper and the posts.

------------------
Zinedine Zidane is my hero!

easy!
Gold medal mens soccer game betweem the Cameroons and Spain at the Olympic stadium, Sydney 2000.
Stadium was packed, if you were not from spain then you went for the Cameroons ( ausies have a reputation of always going for the underdog and they sure did here) Sometimes the noise caused my eardrums to vibrate!
game went into extra time and a penalty shootout and the Comeroons won!
Easily the most thrilling sporting event I have ever seen.

Went to many other events during the games - the whole period was just a unique and wonderful experience

Pamela

Back
Top Bottom