convince me to see Ryan Adams live

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Snowlock said:

Saw him once at the State Theater in Minneapolis. He played like 10 songs, all off the current album; then unceremoniously left.

Saw him again at 1st Ave in Minneapolis. He was high or drunk (or both) off his ass. He was slagging Paul Westerberg for saying he ripped paul off (which he does do; shamelessly). Only played songs from the current album again and then was too drunk to continue. But he did leave the stage and keep coming back to antagonize the crowd about four times.

I have the banter transcribed from the show he was slagging Westerberg at. Kinda sad to listen to. He was really hurt by the comments and just lashed out.

Never seen a bad show. I've seen some very unpredictabel shows, but I loved them. But never saw a show where I'd say he qualified as an ass.

Bonochick said:

I have the banter transcribed from the show he was slagging Westerberg at. Kinda sad to listen to. He was really hurt by the comments and just lashed out.

Yeah, I know. But the thing that was really disgusting about it was he was doing it in Paul's house. You could tell he was really hurt, because you can tell he's a huge fan. And Paul shouldn't have said the things he did; lord knows he ripped off enough bands in his time. But do it in the media, or call Paul up; don't pull that when I paid my 50 (or whatever it was) bucks to see him.

And play some freakin' whiskeytown; it's the best work he ever did!

Bonochick said:
http://come_pick_me_up.tripod.com/concerts.html#14Dec03

I'd offer you a bootleg of the show...but I doubt you'd be interested. :laugh:

I'd be EXTREMELY interested, if for no other reason than to see if it was as bad as I remember.

Oh! And if you can faintly here members of the crowd singing Westerberg's Can't Hardly Wait during the last couple rants, that was me and about 50 others from the balcony

Last edited:
I'll drop you a PM.

And...yeah, all of the shows have been cancelled, but we still don't know why. Some people are speculating that Ryan is down a couple band members, but I have no idea where that rumor came from.

Well, someone transcribed some details from the Vancouver show on the 9th...which is the reason for the rumor of band members gone, I suppose:

It started playful, but by the end of the exchange, Ryan was being unfair and Catherine seemed upset. She didn't seem impressed by his rantings before this, and after the incident she seemed really upset by it. It happened during Let It Ride. Catherine was playing it in the wrong key. Here's what was said:

-everyone stops playing

-Catherine - chuckles..."What was that?"

-Ryan - "Catherine, how much scotch does it take, really? There's not many rules. One fret makes a difference."

-Catherine - chuckles..."I've got four strings - I don't think I could fuck up again"

-some idiot in the crowd yells out "Freebird!" for the 50th time that night

-inaudible banter between bandmates

-Jon - (trying to take the pressure off Catherine, I'm assuming) "It was meee"

-Ryan - "Ladies and gentlemen, Josh Rouse's new guitar player, Jon Graboff!"

this is where the playfulness ended:

-Catherine - (sounding unimpressed) "But it's ok, apparently I can go fuck myself"

-Ryan - laughs..."It's a free country"

-Ryan - "Well, I don't know...i mean it's not just...it's not my imagination, I don't think anybody was playing the same notes I was, but don't mind me, I just WROTE THE FUCKING SONG!"

crowd boos

-Ryan - "Sorry, I just wrote it, so I kinda know what key it's in...I dunno...that's weird...(looking at Catherine) you might notta been there, though"

crowd boos again

band, looking kinda startled and upset with the whole thing, launch back into a GREAT version of Let It Ride.

~~~

:sigh:

ryan_index_tour_cancelled_8_11_05.gif

Snowlock said:
Oh! And if you can faintly here members of the crowd singing Westerberg's Can't Hardly Wait during the last couple rants, that was me and about 50 others from the balcony

I have been hesitant to see him since I read the reviews of the First Ave. show in the Star Tribune. It was the WORST review I have ever read. The show sounded like a disaster.

On the other hand, one of my friends saw him in DC this spring and raved about his show. He seems to be hit or miss...as well as the Cardinals.

Would like to see it for myself someday, though.

edit to add, when I do go, I will be wearing a shirt that says "I KNOW BONOCHICK" !!!!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom