Content Protected CDs?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

corianderstem

Blue Crack Distributor
So I bought my first CD that's marked as "content protected." It allowed me to rip the tracks onto my computer as .wma files, but as they're protected files, I can't get them onto my iPod. It won't even open the disc in iTunes.

Is this right, or am I missing something?

If I can't, I'm seriously pissed off about it. I legally bought the CD, and now I'm being punished for it by not being allowed to listen to it the way I want to.

Screw that noise.

:mad: :mad: :mad:

Yes, you are correct. Here you go: from Tiny Mix Tapes on June 20, 2005...

"'Sony BMG and EMI to Kill Mix CDs With Their Anti-Piracy Hatchet, Compatibility Issues with iPod'

Listen to this, dude. I've got something that will totally flip your lid. You know how sometimes you buy a CD and you like, ya know, get real excited about it because it's something that you're totally diggin' on? And then you want to, like, share the love and shit and you rip those tracks onto your computer and throw in a blank CD-R and burn a couple off to give to your friends because you know they'll totally dig it too? Or how sometimes you want the perfect soundtrack for burnin' a few bowls with friends on a summer night and you want to make a mix CD of all the best songs to chill out to? Well take a seat bro, because those corporate assholes at Sony BMG and EMI are trying to take away that right, man!

According to Billboard, Sony BMG has quietly slipped about a million discs by 10 different artists -- whom they won't name -- into the market featuring anti-piracy technology from some United Kingdom company called First4Internet. This new technology totally stops you from making more than a few copies of a disc, and it also stops your friend from making a copy of his copy. They call it "sterile burning." I call it a total bummer! And this is just the beginning, man. More of Sony BMG's partners are beginning commercial trials of similar technology within the month, and since there has been no obvious backlash (YET), Sony BMG announced that it will extend this security to all of its American releases by the end of the year.

But Sony BMG is not the only conglomerate putting its foot down. According to Digital Music News, EMI is also cracking down on "casual piracy." Within the next few weeks, EMI releases will also include restrictive technology on piracy. Developed by DRM solutions firm Macrovision, the technology allows CD owners to copy only three copies of a CD's songs, and similar to Sony BMG's "sterile burning," those burned copies cannot be duplicated.

However, this increased CD protection comes at a big cost. Any CD released by Sony BMG or EMI with this protection cannot be transferred to the ever-so popular iPod. In an age of iPod-mania, this could result in a huge backlash once the happy-go-lucky public finds out about this tight security control. In fact, this is precisely the reason why both Universal Music Group and Warner Music Group have yet to dive into the murky depths of CD protection.

These suits consider this to be, like, one of the most important developments in copyright protection. So like, what's all the huffin' and puffin' about file-sharing networks all about then? If two-thirds of all piracy comes from ripping and burning CDs, then why aren't they making a big stink about it? Instead, they put up all this smoke and mirrors bullshit about file-sharing while they quietly slip some of these "sterile burn" CDs into the marketplace without tellin' anyone. I mean, it's like they want to piss off the very people that are actually buying the CDs. One day you'll be tryin' to make a mix CD and your computer won't let you and you'll get all pissed and start punching your computer because you don't know what the hell is going on. I'm tellin' ya man, something stinks! But if Sony BMG and EMI actually think that these new protective measures are going to stop piracy, they better think again. Though there might be some confusion/frustration at first, things will get right back on the piracy track once another digtal (or even analog) technique of piracy hits the Internet-savvy public.

Fuck it, just stick with independent music and you'll be just fine."

That said, I'm glad I'm no longer the only person who's pissed off about this shit. Sorry that this fate befell you, corianderstem.

The more record companies do this, the more I am encouraged to acquire my music via 'alternate means'.

No shit! Wow, that's seriously lame. Sony, EMI and BMG can kiss my lily-white ass.

Thanks for the info, though. Now I know to look for that "content protected" warning before I buy it.

I have the last laugh, though ... I had already downloaded about half of the tracks on this disc from other places and have them on my pod. I went and did the right thing by buying the CD, but will be hanging onto the MP3s.

I don't like the idea of buying an album on iTunes, either. I like actually having the CD in my collection. I don't want just a handful of MP3s.

I'm boycotting albums with Copy Controlled Crap for a while now. Some (I initially bought accidentally) I can rip to my computer, some not. There's even one (Supergrass Is 10) which wouldn't play in the car CD player of my old car. :mad:

So no more CCC discs for me. I try to get them in another way. For a while, it seemed that the discs in the US were free of this shit (I got the US editions of Joss Stone's albums f.i.), but not so anymore. :|
Now where can I get those Finn Brothers and Natasha Bedingfield albums! :scream:

:grumpy:

Huh. Someone sent me a link to the Sony site, where you could enter your information (email address, CD you bought, where you bought it), and they emailed me instructions on how to put the tracks into iTunes.

Basically, you just follow the instructions for putting the tracks onto your computer. Then you burn a new CD with those tracks, and THAT CD will allow the tracks to be put into iTunes.

I hope. Here goes nothing ... cross your fingers!

And Popmartijn, the Natasha Bedingfield CD is the one that's giving me my rude awakening.

:(

I heard the Aussie version was not Copy Control Crap. I'll look out for that one now.
I think she has some amazing pop songs! :combust: Unwritten and These Arms are just :drool: and I Bruise Easily is pretty good for a pop ballad.
She almost makes me get over my Keisha Buchanan (from the Sugababes) obsession. :)

I have a thing for pop music. Pop ballads usually leave me cold, but give me a good, uptempo, fun pop song any day.

i haven't bought the new brmc album yet, but i'd been planning on it. apparently it's got copy protection that forces you to only use it in their own player if you accidentally click some cd icon...i'm not entirely sure what happened. but it sounded like something i didn't want to deal with. :down:

I think the funny part is that most of these Copy Controlled cds are available on the web even before they are released (such as Coldplay's X&Y). So I just download those instead and spend my money on other artists. :shrug:

corianderstem said:

Basically, you just follow the instructions for putting the tracks onto your computer. Then you burn a new CD with those tracks, and THAT CD will allow the tracks to be put into iTunes.

Of course, that means the versions on your iPod are going to sound like utter crap. :(

IWasBored said:
i haven't bought the new brmc album yet, but i'd been planning on it. apparently it's got copy protection that forces you to only use it in their own player if you accidentally click some cd icon...i'm not entirely sure what happened. but it sounded like something i didn't want to deal with. :down:

Does it?
I didn't think I saw the warning, but I could be wrong of course.
I do know they were dropped by Virgin, so I think they're now at some indie. Their second album was Copy Control Crop (because of Virgin). But as I said, I'm not so sure about this one.

I kind of dig the irony that the solution these record labels came up with to prevent illegal downloading might just lead to more illegal downloading.

Because honestly, even if it's as "simple" (HA) as copying the tracks to another disc, I don't want to be stuck with a bunch of extra discs lying around from all these CDs I might end up having to burn. What a waste of blank CDRs.

Success! It worked. Of course, it put them all in the wrong order, and lists the artist as "Natalie" Bedingfield ... the hell? How would THAT happen?

Last edited:
As others have mentioned... most albums are available in some form on the internet... I usually go for these to "sample" a cd before buying it. I have been getting rid of my mp3s after I buy the cd... but I won't if I can't import the cd to itunes or burn it myself, etc. :(

I think such strict copy protection is just going to backfire in the record company's faces... I know I'll just stop buying the cds and keep my mp3s instead :yes:

*waits for the feds to arrest us all* :lol:

Of course, that means the versions on your iPod are going to sound like utter crap.

Do you mean because it's in MP3 format? That doesn't bother me. I just tested the tracks, and they appear to sound listenable.

If I'm listening on my pod, it's all MP3, and honestly, I can't tell the difference. If I want to go the high-quality route, I can just pop the CD into my stereo. ... but it's a cheapo stereo, so probably won't sound any better! :wink:

Plus, you can buy the whole album on iTunes anyway! Jesus, Sony, make up your freaking mind.

Last edited:
Popmartijn said:

Does it?
I didn't think I saw the warning, but I could be wrong of course.
I do know they were dropped by Virgin, so I think they're now at some indie. Their second album was Copy Control Crop (because of Virgin). But as I said, I'm not so sure about this one.

u2popmofo was having problems with it, he had to restart his computer, try to delete stuff a few times...it was fine until he clicked the cd icon thing, then it would only let him use its special biult-in player to listen to the cd. then i think he said it stopped letting him listen to the cd altogether. finally, he fixed something and it started working again. sounded like a pain in the ass that i didn't want to bother with :down:

i think they're with RCA? i can't follow major labels, too many things own too many other things and i don't listen to enough bands out on majors to be bothered remembering.

corianderstem said:

Do you mean because it's in MP3 format? That doesn't bother me. I just tested the tracks, and they appear to sound listenable.

If I'm listening on my pod, it's all MP3, and honestly, I can't tell the difference. If I want to go the high-quality route, I can just pop the CD into my stereo. ... but it's a cheapo stereo, so probably won't sound any better! :wink:

Plus, you can buy the whole album on iTunes anyway! Jesus, Sony, make up your freaking mind.

Not just because they're mp3s... the ones on my computer are only at 160 kbps for the most part. Just the third generation, copies of copies, tend to get a little more muffled.

Back
Top Bottom