Compilation CD's and Your Collection

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pub crawler

New Yorker
I can't decide if I'm making a mistake by buying Artist compilations while building a decent CD collection, which is a favorite hobby of mine.

Here's my thinking: I feel that compilations do not add value to a collection. Not that my music collection is worth much dollar-wise (I mean how much can you really get for a used CD?), but it certainly has an intrinsic value to me.

A compilation almost seems like a free "sampler" CD. I don't even feel like the Artist is much connected to their compilation, even though the Artist usually is producer.

Plus, and here's the big thing, If all I ever buy of a given Artist's music is their compilation(s), I'm surely missing out on some great tracks on their actual original albums. Can you imagine all the great U2 music I'd be missing out on if all I ever bought were their compilations? I wouldn't own "A Sort of Homecoming" or "Red Hill Mining Town."

The other issue is that I might be missing out on the whole "concept" of concept albums, if all I ever bought of a particular Artist were said Artist's compilations.

I've never been a huge Bowie fan, never owned any of his albums. I have liked some of his most well-known songs, though. That said, I just bought his two-disk compilation, and this thing kicks ass. I didn't realize "The Man Who Sold the World" was Bowie's. :shifty: God I love that song now. Probably because I liked Cobain's version so much. BUT NOW I've got all of Bowie's great songs on two disks! I have no need to buy his original albums. I'm not sure I want to spend the money on all his albums, because I fear there will be a lot of tracks I won't care for. I dunno.

Again, though, I rarely buy compilations because I feel they cheapen my CD collection in some ways. But for an Artist like Bowie, for whom I'm not so sure I want to invest in his entire catalogue, I suppose a compilation will have to do.

I know what you mean...I've never been a big fan of compilation discs. I want to hear the songs in their original context and I feel like I'm cheating if I get a best of or something.

But, that said, I have some compilation disks that I LOVE. U2's best of was my first U2 album and, needless to say, that worked out well. I also recently bought the Smiths "Singles" compilation and I absolutely LOVE it, but feel no burning desire to buy any of their albums.

So yeah, I don't know. I try to keep the compilations to a minimum. But I wouldn't say it was a "mistake" to buy one. [/brilliant analysis]

I agree. I have 40 Licks, but because I had all my dad's old Stones albums to choose from when I was younger, I now feel it's my mission to buy their complete catalog on cd.

Some artists I can see buying just the compilation, but it all depends. Excellent observation on the U2 compilations. I cannot even imagine not owning some of those great songs!

i know what you mean. i'm pretty much against getting only a best of. you get really into the band and you're talking ot someone and they ask what albums you have. you say "the best of blah this yeah blah that year" they mutter something and stop talking to you. you can say "i've got one album, i've got THIS" and they'll go "oh ok".

yeah that does revolve a lot around what other people think of you...but i'd have a hard time respecting myself as a music fan if i only had best of comps. do some research, ask some people for opinions on what they're favourite albums are. get some album based on that. if you get a best of you're going to be less likely to buy a ton of toher albums if you're not the world's biggerst fan cos you look at the track listing like "why should i blow 15.99 on this? i've already got three of these songs on that cd at home, and i've never heard any of the others so i don't know if they're any good".

I had this very problem this week at Best Buy. I had planned on buying The Clash's "London Calling"(I have never owned one of their albums)....anyways, I saw the anthology "The Story Of The Clash" and figured for 5 dollars more, I could have all of the other songs I knew from their other albums, so I bought the anthology. I'm glad I bought it, because some of the best songs are not from "London Calling"...it was quite a decision, as I know I gave up buying their best overall album for a collection of songs from their entire career.....

some artists are (in)famous for having a few great songs along a bunch of mediocre stuff on their albums
re. artists like that greatest hits albums are a perfect way to get your hands on some brilliant stuff without having to deal with a lot of songs you don't care for

some artists have such an expensive catalogue (Elvis Costello, Frank Zappa, Neil Young etc.) that greatest hits album at least give you a chance to find out which of their albums you like the most

but I agree that overall compilation albums don't really stand out in one's collection

It comes down to dollars and cents doesn't it? if you can afford whole catalogues...go for it.
I wish......I can't even afford compilations.
I don't understand your concept of "cheapening " your collection. You are going to miss out on hearing some good/interesting songs by a particular artist, but if you enjoy the compilations, they are good value imho.
As to what is the resale value of your CD's? Heck I can hardly afford those, but when I have a few spare pennies, I head to my local 2nd hand music shop. He retails CD albums for between $10- $15 Aus.U2 are the only band whose music I buy as it is released...when I can.
I bought Neil Young's "decade" ( after it had been released for ages and was in a bargain bin) I already had most of the songs on record/Cd, but it brings them all onto the one CD. It saves me programming and changing records...my hands always seem to be wet or covered in something you don't want to come in contact with your CD's. So again..imho compilations are "handy"

PS: Bowie was interviewed by Michael Parkinson, last night. What a sweetie, I've been a fan of his since the beginning. He opened by singing one of my fave songs from his Heathen album. Sweet.

Listen to the advice of friends/other fans of a particular artist when you want to buy a concept album or delve in to the past...or just experiment if you can afford it.

Enjoy the music.

Nate Dogg said:
I had this very problem this week at Best Buy. I had planned on buying The Clash's "London Calling"(I have never owned one of their albums)....anyways, I saw the anthology "The Story Of The Clash" and figured for 5 dollars more, I could have all of the other songs I knew from their other albums, so I bought the anthology. I'm glad I bought it, because some of the best songs are not from "London Calling"...it was quite a decision, as I know I gave up buying their best overall album for a collection of songs from their entire career.....

yeah, there are some cases like that...

you would have been fine getting london calling though, but the clash is one of those bands where you wouldn't have really been able to get a bad album no matter what you had gone with

one thing that should be mandatory about best of discs, is the the clarification of which album each song is from.

i noticed on u2's best ofs they dont say where the song came from, and i think thats a shame.

Gickies Gageeze said:
one thing that should be mandatory about best of discs, is the the clarification of which album each song is from.

i noticed on u2's best ofs they dont say where the song came from, and i think thats a shame.

yes it should be a requirement. doesn't it say in some small print somewhere on the inside? you have to go looking for it, but doesn't it tell you?

Back
Top Bottom