College Hoops 2006-2007

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
There is a Friday's commercial running in heavy rotation on CBS during the tourney. I like how the Voice Over guy says "rock it" twice. He wants to be able to rock it on a Wednesday, cos "anyone can rock it on a Saturday". He also wants smaller prices and portions, so he can "rock it any day he wants". I never wanted to eat there before, but now that they're speaking the language of the kids, I might opt to go there. The best part of it all is that the fucking restaurant is named after a day of the week.

Oh, and the OSU/Xavier game was fun. Butler/Maryland ought to be good, 23-19 right now. Oops, now it's 28-19. Louisville/A&M about to start, yay, more Gus Johnson. If you like Gus Johnson, check this out, please:

http://cubdumb.blogspot.com/2007/03/great-moments-in-gus-johnson-history.html

The last link remains my favorite, "Batista with the CAAAATTTTCHHHHH"

Got Philk? said:
WHY DON'T YOU LIKE THE GUY!!! HE MAKES EVERYTHING SO EXCITING!!!! WHAT A GUY! WHAT AN UN-BE-LIEV-A-BLE GUUUUUUUUY!!!!!!

I say yay when he calls a game and post links of his. I'd say I like him.

Speaking professionally, he needs work. As a fan, I love him.

I kind of hoped Sosa's three to tie at the end of the A&M game would go. It would have really hurt my bracket if Louisville wound up winning, but it's almost worth it to hear how Gus would have called it.

You definitely captured his spirit, Phil. And, inmyplace, you're right, brackets be damned, whatever's gonna get Gus revved up is what I root for. Now, he's done, he's not calling the Sweet 16 or Elite 8.

Come on UVA.

The OOTS said:
I'm too lazy to find out if it has been discussed, but imp...you forgot to pick the champion in your Interference bracket.

Wow. I can't believe what a bracket boner I pulled.

That probably completely fucks me for the remainder of that particular pool. For what it's worth, I had Florida.

Thanks for the heads up, ootsy.

Wisconsin just fucked me in the goat-ass! :mad: Dammit--had them going to the finals! :sigh:

Crap. VTech isn't looking so hot, either.

Oh well, at least I was #1 in my pool for a day.

I've lost about a dozen games, and somehow still have all of my Elite Eight intact.

:sad: that breaks my heart. I don't know why Hokies struggle with freethrows. That really hurt us. Have to say though, we sure lucked out, first having to face Ill than SIL. :lol: the one guy said it was like having one root canal after the other.

Our boys look like a damn intramural team.

This is embarrassing.

somehow i still have 7 of 8 regional finalists left despite how terrible my first round was. having texas bite the big one will certainly help...

and i still have an issue with kevin durant... and i think i've finally figured it out. he's a great talent and all, but because he's most likely gonna bounce to the nba after just one season the odds are that he'll never fully max out his potential... same thing goes with greg oden. they need more polish, and thet won't get it.

as good as dwight howard has been so far, i can only imagine how good he'd be if he had gone to college for two years or so and, oh i don't know, learned a post move or two.

Headache in a Suitcase said:

and i still have an issue with kevin durant... and i think i've finally figured it out. he's a great talent and all, but because he's most likely gonna bounce to the nba after just one season the odds are that he'll never fully max out his potential... same thing goes with greg oden. they need more polish, and thet won't get it.

Do really think you get better coaching at the college level? do you think durant will reach his potential by playing in college a year or two longer than playing against the greatest players in the world?

Don't get me wrong I agree with players staying, and wish they would all stay 4 years (imagine how great this tourney would be with all these guys as seniors), BUT i don't buy they get any better by staying in college longer. I think the league is different but they are going to get better. Durant is ready, and don't think him dominating in college another year is going to make him better than being challenged every night in the NBA. Oden, on the other hand, I can see staying a year or two longer- He's not really dominate in any facet yet. He needs work- but even in his case you really think he gets better as a basketball player by playing in college as opposed to the NBA? Just imagine who you practice with and against every day in the NBA as opposed to college.

jphelmet said:

Do really think you get better coaching at the college level?

absolutley... nba coaches are more about managing ego's than teaching the game. the top college coaches are much better in the area of skill development than those in the nba. nba practices are nothing like college practices. there's not so much teaching as there is "this is what we want you to do, do it." walkthroughs are often held in hotel conference rooms with no court, no basket. there is not the attention to fundamentals that there is on the college level.

the time in college gives someone time to grow both as a player and as a person... durant needs more time. there are very few who don't... even kobe, as great as he is... one would think that a few years at duke, which is where he probably would have ended up, would have done a lot for his ego issues that have troubled him throughout his nba career. kobe might be michael jordan if he had gone to school. or maybe not :shrug:

The other thing is, when a player is decidedly NOT ready, sometimes they end up riding the bench more than they play, and that sets them back big time. I always felt that guys like Stromile Swift, or Lorenzen Wright, or more recently Tyrus Thomas, really made big mistakes coming out early. But, then there are guys like Deng, who seems to be doing just fine. Of course, I'm no expert, not close, but that's just my feeling. I think Durant has more potential than Oden, but I think Oden is more NBA ready, just by virtue of his defensive prowess. Someone said above that he does not dominate any facet of the game, but I disagree. He blocks shots, and he forces bad shots, and he causes teams to think twice about going in the paint. That's impactful. I wish both would stay at least one more year. Also, if they stay, Celtics fans will shit their pants, and that's priceless. :)

I disagree. Oden is not ready. And I think if Ohio State loses within the next couple rounds, he will stay.

It will never get back to this, but I remember when players went to college to play basketball planning on working their way to the top. The first 2 years, they might start, but it would be mainly juniors and seniors in the spotlight.

What I think that did was make players want to be the best basketball player in the country. Not the highest paid. We have plenty of those in this tournament right now. The reason I think Oden is going to be the best player is because he wants to get better. He could easily sit back and say, "I'm 7 feet tall, I'll just be good(cough cough Eddy Curry, Brandon Hayward, cough cough). But he won't. If he leaves, it won't suprise me. But it would suprise me if he left and doesn't work just as hard in the NBA.

the top college coaches are much better in the area of skill development than those in the nba. ...there is not the attention to fundamentals that there is on the college level.

I say though for someone like Durant, He will start and play 35+ mins a night as a rookie. His game will get better skills wise than in practice in college. This also goes with the player, if he wants to be the best player he can be he will seek out and get help where he is deficient in the NBA with coaches that are just as qualified as any he has in college. Along with that he will get game experience that far exceeds anything he can get in college.

the time in college gives someone time to grow both as a player and as a person... durant needs more time.

Again I disagree as a player Durant gets better in college(as opposed to the same time in the NBA) , but I whole heartedly agreee with the "as a person" part. How much that effects the skills part (like you said about Kobe), who knows.

Kobe could have benefited from a couple of years in college, he wasn't ready for the NBA and it showed his first couple of years. Durant is way ahead of where Kobe was as an offensive player when he started in the league.

Just curious what in Durant's game is not ready for the NBA right now? What are the weaknesses that you see that a year of college would serve him better? His game is not perfect (esp. defensively), but he is a pretty fundamentally solid player.

... even kobe, as great as he is... one would think that a few years at duke, which is where he probably would have ended up,
Yeah but at Duke, he'd have probably joined the lacrosse team and fit in nicely.

durant makes his team better by him being on the court, but he doesn't neccesarily make his teammates better.

this quote from durant certainly doesn't make him look good either...

I kind of regret not playing as hard as I could today.

also, he needs to put on a significant amount of weight. something that aides him tremendously in the college game is his ability to take advantage of mismatches. there are few bigs who can guard him on the peremeter and few guards who can play him down low. that advantage disapears on the next level.

what is he? is he a 3? a 4? what position will he be playing on the next level?

look... he's incredibly talented. that's a given. but the biggest question mark with any young player entering the NBA is their inner desire to get better once the money has already poured in. does he have that burning desire to be the best player in the world, not just a good player... to fix your weaknesses even though you're already making millions of dollars per year. only time can really tell with that one, i suppose.

if he goes to the right place where he'll have some veteran leadership to help him along, where he won't be thrown right into the frying pan and be allowed to grow as a player and a person, then he'll probably flourish... but if he ends up in a bad spot where all the bad sides of being an immature kid with a blank checkbook... :shrug: that's where the extra maturity of spending those years in college comes in handy.

i dunno... time will tell.

Phil, I don't think either of them are ready. I think Oden is better equipped of the two to go and jump, that's all I was saying. They should both stay put. Headache, to me, is right, Durant needs a bit of size before he winds up in the NBA. And, as he also said, time will tell.

Back
Top Bottom