Coldplay's 'Fix You' video

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
How about we discuss the video, ladies and gents?

As Interference's premier Coldplay geek, I give it a B

the truth is, coldplay are madmen from outaspace. they always try to play covers of U2 songs (mostly bad leftovers), but their music bores me to death.
coldplay stink like the old spiders from mars. they should be rocketed back into their origin solar system. coldplay are useless bunch fluffybunnies. coldplay = :down: ³

typhoon said:
Have you guys seen the Beatles' "Get Back" video? IT TOTALLY RIPS OFF "WHERE THE STREETS HAVE NO NAME."

FUCK YOU, PAUL MCCARTNEY. WHAT KIND OF WEIRDO NAMES HIS RECORD COMPANY APPLE ANYWAY.

:lmao:

ehhh, its an ok video. Good song, not great like it's been hyped up to be. I don't know, I've always been a fan of the Coldplay songs that aren't big hits. "Amsterdam," now that's definitely my all time favorite Coldplay song. "High Speed," "Spies," "Everything's Not Lost," "Kingdom Come," all top songs. Anyway, back to videos, now the new Oasis single (The Importance of Being Idle), that's what I call a video.....

I like the video for "fix you". I also prefer the song to anything off HTDAAB. Not that I don't give HTDAAB a 4/5 though. In saying that overall HTDAAB is better than X&Y. The guitar in "fix you" is very edgeish and I do think they are trying to be U2. To be honest though for a band trying to be as good as U2 they are doing a damn good job.

lmjhitman said:

:kiss:

Originally posted by inmyplace13
I still think The Scientist is their best video though.

i honestly think the scientist is one of the best music videos i've ever seen, period.

Originally posted by nickypiemcg
The guitar in "fix you" is very edgeish and I do think they are trying to be U2. To be honest though for a band trying to be as good as U2 they are doing a damn good job.

if coldplay are actually trying to copy 2000+ era u2 then they have succeeded in expanding their sonic textures far beyond those that they intended to ripoff. the student has become the master, hmm? i'm not even a coldplay lover but sonically, to me, x&y is superior to htdaab.

I loved that other one where CHris and the boys borrowed the lighting set from the Vertigo tour, pity they didn't use it to do a video cover of Vertigo cause that songs ROCKS so much!!!!!!! OMG WTF@!!!!

indra said:
There is only so much you can do with a video after all. :shrug:

Unfortunately this is the impression gets from watching MTV, MuchMusic, etc. It's very wrong, though.. there's a whole hell of a lot you can do with a video! Some directors out there make music videos one of the most interesting and boundary-pushing artforms out there. But nobody cares enough to make it possible to see these videos. bummer.

So yes, Coldplay are being derivative. not necessarily of U2, just derivitive in general. And so, usually, is U2 when it comes to videos.

We need more White Stripes, and Chemical Brothers, and Bjorks.

U2One said:
I don't know, I've always been a fan of the Coldplay songs that aren't big hits. "Amsterdam," now that's definitely my all time favorite Coldplay song.

:yes: My favourite Coldplay song is Don't Panic. For some reason that song is incredibly amazing to me. It's short and simple yet so perfect. I wish Coldplay would return to that, I feel like now they're trying too hard...they should just relax and instead of trying to be five bands at once, just be Coldplay. That's how I see it anyway, I'm sure others disagree. I also really love A Rush of Blood to the Head (song), "God Put A Smile Upon Your Face" and "Moses" (tho Moses is when they started heading deep into U2 territory, I thought that song was original enough, I'm surprised it didn't end up on X&Y).

I saw the coldplay video but I can't find the "Sometimes You Can't Make it On Your Own" video anywhere to compare. Anyone know where i can see or download it???????????/

AtomicBono said:

:yes: My favourite Coldplay song is Don't Panic. For some reason that song is incredibly amazing to me. It's short and simple yet so perfect. I wish Coldplay would return to that, I feel like now they're trying too hard...they should just relax and instead of trying to be five bands at once, just be Coldplay. That's how I see it anyway, I'm sure others disagree. I also really love A Rush of Blood to the Head (song), "God Put A Smile Upon Your Face" and "Moses" (tho Moses is when they started heading deep into U2 territory, I thought that song was original enough, I'm surprised it didn't end up on X&Y).

couldn't agree with you more about the comment of Coldplay trying too hard right now. When I first listened to X & Y, I liked it, but that's what I thought also, they're trying too hard. Then I went back and listened to Parachutes and was blown away. That was just Coldplay being Coldplay, not trying to live up to any expectations. I forgot about Don't Panic, great song, actually one of the first songs that got me hooked on them. Parachutes is just great all around with songs like Don't Panic, Spies, Sparks, High Speed, Shiver, Yellow, Everything's Not Lost. Solid album. That's the Coldplay sound that I love. They're just doing their own thing on that album, not trying too hard to be anyone.

U2One said:

couldn't agree with you more about the comment of Coldplay trying too hard right now. When I first listened to X & Y, I liked it, but that's what I thought also, they're trying too hard. Then I went back and listened to Parachutes and was blown away. That was just Coldplay being Coldplay, not trying to live up to any expectations. I forgot about Don't Panic, great song, actually one of the first songs that got me hooked on them. Parachutes is just great all around with songs like Don't Panic, Spies, Sparks, High Speed, Shiver, Yellow, Everything's Not Lost. Solid album. That's the Coldplay sound that I love. They're just doing their own thing on that album, not trying too hard to be anyone.

See, this is where the the irony begins. A great deal of press knocked this album stating that it was incredibly derivative, not remotely unique, and just like anything and everything else popular in Britain at the time. You could say they were trying to be Radiohead, Stone Roses, Travis, etc. (and most critics did). I find it hilarious that U2 fans seem to only be bothered if something in some way hints of U2-related influence.

This rant is somewhat related to the above comments:
Everyone uses massive amounts of influences for their albums/songs/music (OMG, including U2!) Hearing or seeing influences in something really shouldnt be the breaking factor for anyone, because there is hardly anyone or anything out there that you could say is completely unique in what they're doing. Honestly, there's virtually nothing out there you could say that of.

u2popmofo said:

This rant is somewhat related to the above comments:
Everyone uses massive amounts of influences for their albums/songs/music (OMG, including U2!) Hearing or seeing influences in something really shouldnt be the breaking factor for anyone, because there is hardly anyone or anything out there that you could say is completely unique in what they're doing. Honestly, there's virtually nothing out there you could say that of.

are you saying that "angel of harlem" and "when live comes to town" were derivative?????????? NO u2 invented r&b and the blues!!!

I don't see the how the SYCMIOYO video and Fix You video are really all that alike. Oh my god, seriously, you mean the lead singers both walk during the song's buildup and then bam are playing with their band? Oh, Jesus, i have never seen any other band do that. I mean even though Bono was walking in Dublin during the day and Chris is walking in London (?) at night, and even though U2's band performance was inside a theatre with no crowd and Coldplay's performance is outside in a stadium, really it is completely the same video.

Ah, VH1 responds to this thread.... :D :up:

Coldplay's Clip For 'Fix You': All-New Footage Of Chris Martin Walking Around

Eventually, he reaches a Coldplay gig and takes the stage.

Generally speaking, Coldplay videos tend to fall into two categories: those where frontman Chris Martin aimlessly wanders through nondescript locales ("Yellow," "The Scientist") and those where the full band performs in nondescript locales ("In My Place," "Clocks"). Well, the band's new video, for the song "Fix You," is different. It features a wandering Chris Martin and a full-band performance.

The video — directed by Sophie Muller (Gwen Stefani, Björk, Blur) — is actually two videos in one: scenes of a solitary Martin strolling through the streets of London at night, and concert footage shot at Coldplay's two-night stand at the Reebok Stadium in Bolton, England, last month. The whole walking thing was Martin's idea, but, as Muller recently told MTV News, she was a bit hesitant to sign off on the concept. After all, it is strangely familiar to Coldplay fans.

"It's not like I came up with the idea of 'Let's have you walking' — it was Chris' idea. I think he feels comfortable walking, and I think he likes to wander the streets of London at night," she laughed. "I was worried about it, but I thought, 'Well, the difference this time around is that he's going somewhere.' "

In the video, Martin wanders past various London landmarks, including the Royal National Theatre — onto which images of the Baudot code are projected (see "Coldplay's Album Cover Decoded (And You Thought The Lyrics Were Geeky ...)") — and King's Cross station, one of the sites of the London bombings in early July (see "At Least 37 Dead In London Subway Bombings"). Muller shot the video at King's Cross three days before the bombings, but she said that for Londoners who've seen the footage, there's a startling quality to seeing the almost eerie serenity of the area.

"It's quite strange for people to see the King's Cross sign. They watch it and they sort of gasp. They have an emotional reaction to it," Muller said. "And it's weird because the sign just made it into the video by accident. We didn't even notice it was in there until later."

Martin sings the first few verses of the song on the streets of London, but as the tempo picks up, he begins to sprint, past buildings and buses ... all the way to Bolton (ah, the magic of editing), where he takes the stage at Reebok Stadium just as the rest of Coldplay are getting into the song's chorus. According to Muller, the juxtaposition of the solitary Martin and the gigantic concert goes with the feel of the song, which moves from Martin's quiet vocals to a massive, crashing chorus.

"The idea of the video is that you go from the solitariness of the beginning of the song — where Chris is singing about trying to help people — to playing it in front of a mass of people," Muller said. "It goes from being intimate to being a massive sing-along. And everybody knew the words. It's like this: Chris has this feeling. He writes a song about it. He performs it, and then the crowd gives it back. It's like the universal artist/audience relationship."

http://www.vh1.com/news/articles/1506837/20050802/coldplay.jhtml?headlines=true&_requestid=255940

blueyedpoet said:
I don't see the how the SYCMIOYO video and Fix You video are really all that alike. Oh my god, seriously, you mean the lead singers both walk during the song's buildup and then bam are playing with their band? Oh, Jesus, i have never seen any other band do that. I mean even though Bono was walking in Dublin during the day and Chris is walking in London (?) at night, and even though U2's band performance was inside a theatre with no crowd and Coldplay's performance is outside in a stadium, really it is completely the same video.

NICE :up:

Se7en said:

are you saying that "angel of harlem" and "when live comes to town" were derivative?????????? NO u2 invented r&b and the blues!!!
U2 INVENTED B.B. KING.
blueyedpoet said:
Oh, Jesus, i have never seen any other band do that.
U2 INVENTED JESUS.

HeartlandGirl said:
Dude, it used to be on u2.com. I think all you have to do is register to view it. :|

u2.com is such a tease. You can't do anything unless you pay. And even when you do pay, they don't give you any benefits at all.

I'm still searching for the SYCMIOYO video if anyone has it!?!?

unosdostres14 said:

u2.com is such a tease. You can't do anything unless you pay. And even when you do pay, they don't give you any benefits at all.

I adore U2.com. They f-ed up and let my presale cole buy GA for 3 different shows!:drool:

MrBrau1 said:

I adore U2.com. They f-ed up and let my presale cole buy GA for 3 different shows!:drool:

:lol: lucky. Although they fucked up mine too so I ended up getting tickets to two different shows, GAs once. CLEVELAND!! :rockon:

unosdostres14 said:

calm yourself.

i have a .wmv of it.

Back
Top Bottom