Coldplay X&Y Tour reviews

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

randhail

Rock n' Roll Doggie
Last night I saw Coldplay kick off their US tour in Hartford. Before getting into specifics, I will say that I was about 15 feet from the stage which could weigh into my enjoyment of the show. It was an awesome show, better than the Vertigo show I saw (May 24). I will admit that the show was rather short at 1.5 hours and some of Chris's moves could have been copying Bono, but whatever I can overlook that because the show was so good.

Setlist:

Square One
Politik
Yellow
God Put a Smile Upon Your Face
Speed of Sound
Low
The Hardest Part
Everything's Not Lost
White Shadows
The Scientist
Don't Panic
'Til Kingdom Come
Clocks
Talk
Swallowed in the Sea
In My Place
Fix You

Square one was a great opener, had a elevation era style screens in the back with a countdown going providing for some good anticipation when the song really kicked in. Politik, Yellow, God Put, and Speed of Sound all made a high energy opening 30 minutes.

The band looked like they were truly enjoying themselves with Chris chatting up the crowd several times... even talking about a 50 cent refund per liter of sweat the boys dripped off that night. He did screw up in 'Til Kingdom Come, which was done accoustically, but it made for some laughs. Clocks had a techno vibe to it with a frenetic ending. Fix you is a good song too, maybe not the best closer but a very uplifting song. All in all, it was an outstanding show and I would recommend seeing them to anyone.

I really enjoyed them when I saw them in Glasgow too. Not a big fan of the new album (a little too much production for my tastes). I thought Fix You was a great closer though and yeah the show was quite short but i heard all the song I wanted to hear.

I'm glad you guys thought that was funny, I thought it was idiotic/rude/stupid/ridiculous/petty/irrelevant/unoriginal. If you dont like Coldplay, how about staying the hell out of threads about them? I'm sick of all of you insecure U2 fans poopooing everything that gets more press, airplay, attention, sales, and higher ratings than U2. Get over it.

u2popmofo said:
I'm glad you guys thought that was funny, I thought it was idiotic/rude/stupid/ridiculous/petty/irrelevant/unoriginal. If you dont like Coldplay, how about staying the hell out of threads about them? I'm sick of all of you insecure U2 fans poopooing everything that gets more press, airplay, attention, sales, and higher ratings than U2. Get over it.

:up:

I'm seeing them in Dallas on September 23 and Austin on September 25. Austin is all GA (ACL Festival) but I've got blah seats for Dallas and have been on a GA hunt since June. The show sounds fantastic. I love seeing that they're playing Talk.

Last night I bid 245 dollars for a pair of GAs and got outbid by 2 cents in the very last second :sad:

u2popmofo said:

:love:

anyway, show sounds good. :up: i'd like to see these guys live sometime. don't really know when that might happen though.

I saw them in Toronto on Tuesday, and it was a pretty good show. They're better live than on disc, that's for sure.

Souly said:
I saw them in Toronto on Tuesday, and it was a pretty good show. They're better live than on disc, that's for sure.

Agree with you completely. On disc, they come across as sleep inducing bores, but live they have an amazing energy.

u2popmofo said:
... higher ratings than U2. Get over it.

I like coldplay. good live band, think there are good, BUT higher ratings than U2?

How so? Every review I have read in the last few months are mediocre, and almost all say they are trying to be the next U2.

Silly to expect people not to compare them to U2, or say U2 is better on a U2 board.

I saw them in Montréal on wednesday. Same setlist. A bit short but very good nonetheless. I was glad to hear Everything's Not Lost and Talk!

MumblingBono said:
Nothing off The Unforgettable Fire?

Yes, White Shadows.

Anyway, good show!

I really loved them last album, so I'm gonna buy the tickets for the Lisbon show November 23rd. Good reviews for the show, but I was waiting for a longer setlist and other songs too... But that's cool. Coldplay kinda rocks.

I'm sorry, but although I love the X&Y album, I have to agree that a great part of the songs are U2 rip-off - maybe that's why I love it... So it's a bit incomodative for us (U2 fans) to see something like this. I have a post in "Everything You Know Is Wrong" about the whole new album and each track...

C ya guys:wink:

No one said it better than Se7en:

Se7en said:

if coldplay are actually trying to copy 2000+ era u2 then they have succeeded in expanding their sonic textures far beyond those that they intended to ripoff. the student has become the master, hmm? i'm not even a coldplay lover but sonically, to me, x&y is superior to htdaab.

u2popmofo said:

I love Coldplay. Doesn't make the joke any less funny or witty, perfect timing.

I agree all the anti-Coldplay pro-U2 stances here are annoying, but that was genuinely good.

Chhhiiiiiiiiillllll. I know how you feel but I think you're a bit off target here.

u2popmofo said:
I'm sick of all of you insecure U2 fans poopooing everything that gets more press, airplay, attention, sales, and higher ratings than U2. Get over it. [/B]

I wouldn't say they get higher ratings, more press, or more sales....

I am going to the show in Mass. tomorrow night, should be good. But of course it is no Vertigo!!

u2popmofo said:

Strange, I thought it was wise/gracious/smart/sensible/important/relevent/original.

what up bitch - you just found yourself in a thesaurus war!

:tickle:

:wink:

The "more press, airplay, attention, sales, and higher ratings than U2" comment was about any artist whom one of these things may apply to, not just Coldplay. Assume what you will as to which of these is relevant in this case..

I'm really kicking myself for not getting tickets to the show here in town. It's on a week night, though, and I did get to see them on the last tour. They really are a great live band.

I, too, think the Coldplay stealing from U2 jokes are way past their prime in this forum. It might have been witty if we hadn't all seen it a thousand other times in every other Coldplay thread. It's just tired.

I'm also looking forward to seeing them in Sept. Did anybody here use the presale for tix? Have you gotten your tix yet?

U2dork said:
I'm also looking forward to seeing them in Sept. Did anybody here use the presale for tix? Have you gotten your tix yet?

I had presale tickets for last night's Hartford show and my tickets did not arrive until early last week, so I wouldn't expect to see your tickets this month. I'm guessing it's to cut down on scalping.

Back
Top Bottom