Coldplay X&Y: Best U2 record U2 never made. I miss U2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
GibsonGirl said:
A day or so ago, I was going on a trip to the Memorial University of Newfoundland with some of my fellow graduates. "Speed of Sound" came on the radio while we were on the bus, and a couple people turned to me and asked what the song's name was. So I told them what it was and who it was by and some of them looked surprised. I asked them why they automatically turned to me, and one guy said, "Because it sounded a lot like U2." The others agreed with him.

That says it all. :| Don't get me wrong, I really like Coldplay, but there are times when I feel like they're nothing more than a watered down imitation of U2. And, judging by the episode on the bus, people who aren't even fans of both bands feel the same way too.

That's interesting that your friends said "Speed of Sound" sounds like U2. I'm listening to it right now to try to hear any similarities, but I really can't. :huh: I guess I just can't hear it when people tend to say Coldplay sounds like U2 in general.

Yeah, Johnny Buckland does come up with some very Edge like guitar riffs; In My Place, Moses and on the new album White Shadows--but as long as it's not a ripoff of U2 song I don't really care. The only coldplay song I thought was a complete ripoff of U2 though was "Moses." Great song but very unoriginal.

Some people claim that Martin tries to sound like Bono, and that I'm totally deaf to I guess. I think Martin sounds like a yodeling Dave Mathews.

I have not heard Coldplay much & was just about to watch Coldplay 2003 DVD............ is it going to sound like yodeling Dave Mathews?? :sad:

Seeking Adam said:
I have not heard Coldplay much & was just about to watch Coldplay 2003 DVD............ is it going to sound like yodeling Dave Mathews?? :sad:

:lol: Not really. Chris Martin has an airy quality to his voice(so does dave mathews), and he also sings in falsetto once and a while. Hense the yodeling Dave Mathews. Don't worry though, it's just a joke. I can't stand Dave Mathews voice and I love Martins voice, so that says something. Enjoy the dvd, it's a great show and if you haven't heard them much it'll be a good way to get to know some of their music.

All this talking about Coldplay the last few days on here I think I"m gonna pop mine in as well this afternoon.

Last edited:
ImOuttaControl said:

That's interesting that your friends said "Speed of Sound" sounds like U2. I'm listening to it right now to try to hear any similarities, but I really can't. :huh: I guess I just can't hear it when people tend to say Coldplay sounds like U2 in general.

Yeah, Johnny Buckland does come up with some very Edge like guitar riffs; In My Place, Moses and on the new album White Shadows--but as long as it's not a ripoff of U2 song I don't really care. The only coldplay song I thought was a complete ripoff of U2 though was "Moses." Great song but very unoriginal.

Some people claim that Martin tries to sound like Bono, and that I'm totally deaf to I guess. I think Martin sounds like a yodeling Dave Mathews.

Chris Martin doesn't sound like Bono at all. But from a musical perspective, the band does seem to emulate U2 quite a bit. Particularly Johnny, as you said. As for my friends...well, my only guess is that they were referring to the rhythm section, which does sound a bit U2-ish. As well as the guitars at the end and in the chorus.

I don't think SoS is Coldplay's most U2-like song either, but there have been some pretty blatant rip-offs in the past, in my opinion. The guitar riffs from "In My Place" and "Moses" come to mind, for instance.

GibsonGirl said:

Chris Martin doesn't sound like Bono at all. But from a musical perspective, the band does seem to emulate U2 quite a bit. Particularly Johnny, as you said. As for my friends...well, my only guess is that they were referring to the rhythm section, which does sound a bit U2-ish. As well as the guitars at the end and in the chorus.

I don't think SoS is Coldplay's most U2-like song either, but there have been some pretty blatant rip-offs in the past, in my opinion. The guitar riffs from "In My Place" and "Moses" come to mind, for instance.

Yeah I agree that Coldplay emulate U2 a lot. They've torn the pages out of U2's playbook on many different things. I don't think that's a bad thing though. A lot of people act like it's illegal for another band to use the U2 sound, but as long as the music comes from a genuine place, I don't really care. The U2 sound is now part of the general music scene, just like the way the Beatles influenced a ton of bands that came after them.

I sometimes wonder if there's anything genuinely original left out there? There's only so much you can do with drums, bass and 6 strings...Just look at the big bands of the last few years. The Strokes and White Stripes are basically throwbacks to garage rock. The Killers are a throwback to mid 80's music that relied heavily on synths and everything. Hell, even U2 borrowed heavily from Echo and the Bunnymen and others. Coldplay is borrowing from U2 style guitarwork and Beatles like balladry(if that's a word)

well, speed of sound was ok, but that second tune, I guess its called fix you, was boring and predicatable.

a few more songs like that and this debate is over.

I downloaded some of X&Y (a couple from the actual album and a couple live), and I must say I do enjoy it, it's shaping up to be Coldplay's best album yet...certainly their most rocking. But here's the thing. Downloading new Coldplay sonds is like downloading new U2 songs without the excitement. The songs are U2 songs without the magic...there's all the elements right there (I don't get how you could NOT think Coldplay sounds like U2. Take out Martin's vocals in "Speed of Sound" and you've got a typical U2 song...not just the shimmering Edge-effect guitars, but even the rhythm section. The piano is the only really trademark Coldplay thing, and U2 has piano...), but that spark is missing. I think part of it is that Coldplay is more melancholy...they can't reach U2's dizzying heights because they're too damn SAD. Even their "cheerful" songs like Yellow and Clocks have an element of sadness to them, somehow. When I listen to Coldplay I am not lifted, I am brought down. They're very bittersweet.

I love Coldplay, but they're not the next U2, they just SOUND like U2. There's a difference. I don't think another U2 is possible now, frankly. The music industry has changed so much... U2 became big after years of building up, getting 'street cred,' a loyal fanbase, ect. Coldplay has become too big too fast and I don't think they'll last. Ultimately the bands I see the most potential in are Bloc Party (I love every single song by this band. Unfortunatley so does NME, I'm afraid that like Coldplay they will get too big too fast) and Doves (which are essentially a better, more diverse version of Coldplay).

AtomicBono said:
I don't think another U2 is possible now, frankly. The music industry has changed so much... U2 became big after years of building up, getting 'street cred,' a loyal fanbase, ect.

Yeah...didn't Bono say at the R&R Hall of Fame induction ceremony that a band like U2 wouldn't make it in today's world because of the way the music business is?

Angela

I don't get what the big deal is. I like HTDAAB, if I didn't I wouldn't be here. And what's the point of complaining until the next U2 album comes out?

I love U2 for sentimental reasons. Because U2's music spans from my kindergarten year to now (at 29 years old), there are a lot of memories along the way. Granted, I wasn't a huge fan early on but I have been since the late 80's, almost 20 years ago. In fact, I was willing to risk hell to listen to U2 back then. The southern Baptist church I went to taught that listening to music which didn't glorify Jesus in every song was a sin -- U2 was my escape route from organized religion.

Don't forget, 20 years ago, some said that U2 copied The Police, and that Bono sounded like Sting. Has anyone said that in 15 years? Maybe Coldplay will be as good (or egads, better than U2), maybe they won't. Time will tell.

Off the new Coldplay album, my favorite songs are A Message, Low, and Swallowed in the Sea. And Fix You has a cool organ sound. Definately gonna buy it on Tuesday.

Last I heard, it's okay to enjoy music from more than one band. I think that's still true. :)

datatyme said:
Last I heard, it's okay to enjoy music from more than one band. I think that's still true. :)

You're gonna go to Hell for that! ;)

But that's OK... all the good music's going to be there too. :)

I love HTDAAB. I listen to it at least once a day. As for Coldplay, I like them alot, but they're not U2 and I don't think they'll have long careers the way U2 has. I like "Speed of Sound" and am planning to see them in September if I can a ticket from Ticketbastard this morning, but there's no comparison.

datatyme said:
In fact, I was willing to risk hell to listen to U2 back then. The southern Baptist church I went to taught that listening to music which didn't glorify Jesus in every song was a sin -- U2 was my escape route from organized religion.

Dude, Bono is probably higher on God's list than most baptist preachers.

datatyme said:
Don't forget, 20 years ago, some said that U2 copied The Police, and that Bono sounded like Sting. Has anyone said that in 15 years?

Really? I'm older than you and I don't remember any police comparisons or sting comparisons. In fact, I thought that sting began copying bono's look/image around 1987 during the "nothing like the sun" period.

here's the thing after listening to coldplay some more:

they don't REALLY sound like u2; I only hear it hear and there in a guitar lick now and then. but then, I could say than about 50 or 60 bands out today. the guitar is the most obvious similarity.

the bass sounds like a bass, and it sounds good.

the drums don't sound like larry....however, the drummer has got to get off of the "clocks" drum pattern; he uses it alot. stop.

chris martin.......there are no comparisons to bono. if he didn't make them himself, I'd probably never even think of it. he doesn't sound like him in the least.
really, he owes ALOT to thom yorke and so does the rest of the band. they really are much closer sounding to radiohead ala "the bends" than anything u2 has done.

imo.

I'd actually say they sound more like current Radiohead than Bends era Radiohead, minue the electronica stuff of course. Johnny Greenwood was an absolute animal with his guitar on the Bends.

Lancemc said:
I'd actually say they sound more like current Radiohead than Bends era Radiohead, minue the electronica stuff of course. Johnny Greenwood was an absolute animal with his guitar on the Bends.

yeah, I was thinking more of the acoustic guitar stuff though.

What was the magazine that just had Chris Martin quoted in saying something like:

"We want to write the best songs and take out U2"? What a jackass thing to say.

Also, the new video (speed of sound) looks like a Pop ripoff with the video screens.

elevateandy said:
What was the magazine that just had Chris Martin quoted in saying something like:

"We want to write the best songs and take out U2"? What a jackass thing to say.

I think most people here conveniently forget that Bono has always made these kind of comments. He even stated that October was going to top Sergeant Peppers. Ambition is great. Coldplay love U2, but healthy competition is a good thing. U2 and REM vocally competed with each other in the early '90's and both bands made great albums.

I don't know if anyone else has mentioned this, but today's New York Times completely craps all over Coldplay, calling them "the decade's most insufferable band". Ouch!!

Strange, but for some reason, that makes me smile.:D

Coldplay isn't U2. Coldplay isn't Radiohead.

But boy some of the new Coldplay songs are blowing me away.

White Shadows, Fix You, Talk, Twisted Logic. They all have a WOW factor of One million.

A band who puts the pursuit of brilliance over anything and they certainly achieve that brilliance. I admire that.

Personally, I love Martin's vocal, butt I can understand that it is a voice that one may not be able to develop an appreciation for.

For me, it is mindblowing, and so is X and Y.

I watched the live thing on MTV2 last night and I liked it. I don't think Coldplay has the power to ever induce a rabid level of fanship in me, maybe because Chris Martin just isn't edgy enough or his voice and stage presence don't excite me or whatever, but those were good songs I heard last night.

joyfulgirl said:
I watched the live thing on MTV2 last night and I liked it. I don't think Coldplay has the power to ever induce a rabid level of fanship in me, maybe because Chris Martin just isn't edgy enough or his voice and stage presence don't excite me or whatever, but those were good songs I heard last night.

I watched this last night too and I thought it was pretty good. I liked the songs better played live than the album versions I heard. They played "What if" and then later when they played "Fix You" I thought they were playing the same song again :reject:, the two songs are very similar.

"X & Y" is enjoyable, but it doesn't blow me away. But when I'm in the mood to listen to Coldplay, it usually means I'm in the mood to listen to something I identify as "mainstream." They do mainstream music pretty well, considering I have a general disdain for anything "mainstream."

Melon

dipster said:

I watched this last night too and I thought it was pretty good. I liked the songs better played live than the album versions I heard. They played "What if" and then later when they played "Fix You" I thought they were playing the same song again :reject:, the two songs are very similar.

They both start off slow and then take off around the halfway point. So they are stylistically similar but sound nothing at all alike.

On first listen, it sounds intriguing: the Edge-like guitars, the soaring choruses, etc. but repeated listens reveals the huge cracks: the extremely banal and cliche ridden lyrics (as deep and original as 5th grade poetry - how can they be this bad?), the repetitive nature of the arrangements (every song with heavy synths, falsetto, and guitar ripped off from The Edge).

It's basically soft-core indie rock drained of any color or personality. perfect for washing dishes to....and soon to be heard in every department store and soccer-mom SUV in the country. everything sounds so pristine and stylish, but it just left me cold and bored.

Coldplay might sell more albums than this U2 this year, and be the critics' darlings, but, from an artistic standpoint, they will never reach U2.

By the third album, U2 were writing songs like Sunday Bloody Sunday, New Year's Day, etc.

Martin is writing songs like "Fix You," with shit lyrics as followsthis is not even the worst of it actually):

when you try your best but you don't succeed
when you get what you want but not what you need
when you feel so tired but you can't sleep
stuck in reverse

and the tears come streaming down your face
when you lose something you can't replace
when you love someone but it goes to waste
could it be worse?

lights will guide you home
and ignite your bones
and i will try to fix you

high up above or down below
when you're too in love to let it go
but if you'll never try, you'll never know
just what you're worth

and ignite your bones

So, Bono, don't worry....your band's crown will not be taken away by the likes of Martin. Not with the crap he is writing.

purpleblackeye said:
On first listen, it sounds intriguing: the Edge-like guitars, the soaring choruses, etc. but repeated listens reveals the huge cracks: the extremely banal and cliche ridden lyrics (as deep and original as 5th grade poetry - how can they be this bad?), the repetitive nature of the arrangements (every song with heavy synths, falsetto, and guitar ripped off from The Edge).

It's basically soft-core indie rock drained of any color or personality. perfect for washing dishes to....and soon to be heard in every department store and soccer-mom SUV in the country. everything sounds so pristine and stylish, but it just left me cold and bored.

Coldplay might sell more albums than this U2 this year, and be the critics' darlings, but, from an artistic standpoint, they will never reach U2.

By the third album, U2 were writing songs like Sunday Bloody Sunday, New Year's Day, etc.

Martin is writing songs like "Fix You," with shit lyrics as followsthis is not even the worst of it actually):

when you try your best but you don't succeed
when you get what you want but not what you need
when you feel so tired but you can't sleep
stuck in reverse

and the tears come streaming down your face
when you lose something you can't replace
when you love someone but it goes to waste
could it be worse?

and ignite your bones

high up above or down below
when you're too in love to let it go
but if you'll never try, you'll never know
just what you're worth

and ignite your bones

So, Bono, don't worry....your band's crown will not be taken away by the likes of Martin. Not with the crap he is writing.

The lyrics to Fix You seem very cliche but he is singing about his daughter and I think the extreme simplicity is done on purpose. I believe it is actually a very powerful song emotionally. Bono has been striving to write more emotional, simplistic lyrics with the last two albums but has been unable to write anything this powerful, with the possible exception of Sometimes You Can't Make It on Your Own.

Back
Top Bottom