Coldplay X&Y: Best U2 record U2 never made. I miss U2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
First of all: I love U2. I grew up with their music. The first single I bought was a live version from I will follow from Pinkpop( my first record was a Kiss record but that is something I try to forget). The point is that I feel that because U2 wants to appeal to a bigger audience and because they want the hit singles(compete with Britney and Christina) the magic is gone. They started to compromise and that is never a good thing. U2 was the best band in the world and is now just the biggest. HTDAAB is an incredibly mainstream record. It's a big radiofriendly monster and I enjoy listening to it but with the exception of Original of the species, One step closer and the mindblowing obscure Fast cars(those lyrics are by far the best I heard from U2 in a long time) it is inferior to what they done in the past. Don't hate me for it because I love you all and maybe I am just getting old and sentimental but maybe they should become the biggest indie band in the world again and let the rest compete with Britney.

laurent24 said:
The point is that I feel that because U2 wants to appeal to a bigger audience and because they want the hit singles(compete with Britney and Christina) the magic is gone.

They've been doing that since the outset. Next argument, please.

U2 was the best band in the world and is now just the biggest.

They were the biggest in 1987. If anyone ruled the mainstream, it was U2.

I am sorry to burst your bubble but charts have nothing to do with a record being a classic or not. Beautiful Freak from the Eels is a classic, Smashing Pumpkins with Siamese Dreams is a classic or Faith No More with Angel Dust. If you let the charts speak for themselves Christina is making one classic after another! And yes, U2 ruled the mainstream in 1987 but the Joshua tree was not a record made for the biggest audience. It was and is just a fantastic record.
But I am fine with you thinking that U2 is still making great, innovative records. More power to you. My opinion is that they are still number uno live (except for the Bono speeches) but the creativity of former days has disappeared. Unfortunately.

laurent24 said:
I miss the days of The Unforgetable Fire and The Joshua Tree. These records sounded so fresh and monumental. "How to dismantle an atomic bomb"is not a bad record but is by no means a classic. It won't be remembered and I find it very painfull to say because I am such a big fan.
Coldplay will never be able to touch U2 when it comes to playing live because U2 is still the best live band in the world but the new music is not special anymore. I remember hearing "Where the streets have no name" for the first time or "Bad"from the live EP. Such emotional music.
Those days are gone. Yes, I probably belong to that small group of fans that Larry told in an interview wanted to keep for themselves. I don't want them to compete with Britney or Christina.

Maybe the new U2 fans feel the same way about the new music, as you did back then. You want U2 to sound like they did, but U2 keep changing. And the expectations are not fulfilled, and one feels a little dissapointed. But the new U2 fans (they've gained a lot of fans lately), feel this way about the new music. They don't have expectations about what U2 should sound like. They didn't become fans during ZooTV (for instance), and they don't miss those days. They are experiencing todays U2, the same way others experienced them before.

I think.

for those thinking Speed Of Sound sounds too much like A Rush Of Blood To The Head music: I won't make judgement 'til a short time after I've heard the album in full. When In My Place was released as the first AROBTTH single, it sounded quite Parachutes-esque. However, as the singles progressed, it showed the depth of the new record, Clocks taking a very diffeent sound to the previous singles. Thus, I suspect, Speed Of Sound will be the most AROBTT-esque of X&Y's songs.
That make sense?

As for the comparisons, I'd have to say that Coldplay is the only one who can actually even compete with U2 for sheer size, even if their music is not identical.

laurent24 said:
I am sorry to burst your bubble but charts have nothing to do with a record being a classic or not. Beautiful Freak from the Eels is a classic, Smashing Pumpkins with Siamese Dreams is a classic or Faith No More with Angel Dust. If you let the charts speak for themselves Christina is making one classic after another! And yes, U2 ruled the mainstream in 1987 but the Joshua tree was not a record made for the biggest audience. It was and is just a fantastic record.
But I am fine with you thinking that U2 is still making great, innovative records. More power to you. My opinion is that they are still number uno live (except for the Bono speeches) but the creativity of former days has disappeared. Unfortunately.

Really? U2 never wanted to be big and break US? Can you seriously say they didn't work to be no.1 in America with JT?

I wonder where all the "U2 shouldn't be big" talk was in 87 or 92/93 were U2 were REAL big. And don't tell me JT or AB are inacessible. HTDAAB sounds like nothing on US charts.

As for Coldplay, we'll see. I give them credit for still being the biggest "new" name in music after 5 years, I don't see them in U2 league though.

Last edited:
Speed of Sound = Fantastic track everyone likes to compare to something anything that sounds NOTHING LIKE IT just because they want to find something wrong with it...! It's a fantastic tune, has great instrumentation, the singing is awesome and going technical, the production is perfect!

How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb = A vast disappointment as a whole, save one or two great tracks. The record is a sure sign, unless U2 get their act together with the 'next album', that they're going to be passing the torch to Coldplay any time soon.

Coldplay proved with this record that they are mediocre at best. Songs from X&Y don't compete at all to The Bomb. Speed of Sound was already heard before, Talk is mostly dull and other songs from the live recordings sound uninspired and boring.

U2girl, in those days the priority was to make the best record they could and because the records were so good U2 became bigger than life, especially in the States. That creativity and succes can go hand in hand was proven with records like Joshua tree and Achtung baby. It's not that I don't want them to be big, I do but foremost I want them to make great music. Achtung baby is lyrically and musically so much better than HTDAAB. I wish it was the other way around but it isn't.

laurent24 said:
U2girl, in those days the priority was to make the best record they could and because the records were so good U2 became bigger than life, especially in the States. That creativity and succes can go hand in hand was proven with records like Joshua tree and Achtung baby. It's not that I don't want them to be big, I do but foremost I want them to make great music. Achtung baby is lyrically and musically so much better than HTDAAB. I wish it was the other way around but it isn't.

Just so you know, I know exactly what you mean... and agree with you 100%. Doesn't mean that I don't enjoy listening to HTDAAB compared to crap like Britney, Christina and 50 Cent that's out there. Blah! I think music in general was better before (trying not to sound like an oldie here) but it's become more derivative over the last 5 years and I don't blame anybody. After all, how many permutations and combinations can you make to get original tunes.. and for how long?

laurent24 said:
HTDAAB is an incredibly mainstream record. It's a big radiofriendly monster

Hmm, interesting comment considering 'Speed of Sound' is all over the radio and nothing from 'Bomb' is. There's not a radio friendly song on 'Bomb' because U2 plays by their own songwriting rules, not the industries. 'Speed' is notable for a gorgeous chorus, which is exactly what you need to do to get on the radio. The rest of the song is average at best. Now let's look at 'Bomb's' singles so far. Vertigo only gained notoriety because of the IPod commercial. It would've never touched hit radio and barely did anyway. I'll admit, it would've done well at modern rock even without the commercial. 'Sometimes'? This tune was a dud at radio. Why you might ask? It has no radio friendly chorus. The "mirror, phone" falsetto chorus is awkward and a gamble on such a great song. Even as much as I like this song, I havn't concluded whether or not this chorus is weakly executed or just an unusual fit in terms of gelling with the rest of the song. Either way, U2 definately played by their own rules by incorporating this section into such an obvious contender for a hit song. I'm getting bored now so if anyone else is interested in why the remaining songs on 'Bomb' are radio duds, I'll reply.

laurent24 said:

U2's whole career proves it's possible to be good AND popular.

I think many fans enjoy the last two records, that doesn't make them bad does it? While they are mainstream compared to the rest of U2 music, they're still different to what's on MTV or radio - especially what's popular in US.
As for HTDAAB, give it time to fit into their catalogue. To everything there is a season, too.

150 Million Albums sold, the previous 3 tours have sold 8 million tickets, Elevation grossed 300 million. ATYCLB won 7 grammy's, Vertigo won 2 this year, Vertigo compared to Speed Of Sound(no contest), I mean U2 is huge, huge, I aint saying no one will ever come along but at this stage no way. Coldplay can dream of U2 status all they want. I like Coldplay and Chris has a great voice and very good qualities, Bono's voice has more diversity though. The guitarist in Coldplay is great too( don't know his name hahaha)
But hey U2 are U2 and they have that incredible diversity, I can see Coldplay getting so same same.. I can't really speak til this album is released so it's all heresy but IMO it just can't happen.

U2 have an unyielding desire to do what it takes, they also have a belief which the majority connect with, they are real!!
I think Coldplay are way too soppy sad sad melon colie

Cheers

I hate the fact that coldplay openly claims to be the next u2.
They won't ever come close to u2. Even though coldplay is a good
band I hate the fact that they try so hard to be just like u2.
Does anyone feel the same way?

I don't think Coldplay openly claims to be the next U2. Critics and fans say that shit unless you can back it up with sources. They may desire it but whats wrong with stating your goals?

I find it funny that some U2 fans feel threatened by other bands trying to get the reputation/ acclaim that U2 have. Like geez, take a pill and enjoy the show. If you can't, then just move on and ignore them.

Also... I don't think popularity isn't the end all and be all of judging the greatness of a band. However, to ignore that aspect of "greatness" is ridiculous. Mass acclaim does mean something.

djerdap said:
Coldplay proved with this record that they are mediocre at best. Songs from X&Y don't compete at all to The Bomb. Speed of Sound was already heard before, Talk is mostly dull and other songs from the live recordings sound uninspired and boring.

In my personal opinion, had I heard live versions of material from "the" bomb, then I would probably have put off buying that record and bought something else with my money...you can't form an opinion of a yet-to-be-released record from a bunch of live recordings that i'm guessing sound rather empty compared to the studio versions (in the day of layering tons of tracks in the studio for that 'full' sound). Listen to some of the live stuff from 'How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb' then compare it to the record. As usual The Edge has recorded lots of backing guitar and since Bono doesn't play while singing, the songs just fall flat and you can't deny it. Just listen to 'All Because of You' and 'Vertigo'. Bland. :|

just had to put in my two cents...

has anyone heard of 'moses'? it's a coldplay song...i've only heard a live version of it. i think 'speed of sound' kinda sounds like it.

i also think 'speed of sound' sounds very similar to clocks, especially the rhythm.

i'm kinda disappointed in 'speed of sound', it doesn't sound like anything special or unique, and i'm saying this as a coldplay fan.

'Moses' is one of the best things Coldplay have ever done! I'm kinda disappointed it's not on the album!! The performance from the Live 2003 DVD is awesome!

Flying FuManchu said:

I find it funny that some U2 fans feel threatened by other bands trying to get the reputation/ acclaim that U2 have. Like geez, take a pill and enjoy the show. If you can't, then just move on and ignore them.

I find it funny that you think you're so superior to other U2 fans

Flying FuManchu said:

I agree. I see a lot of U2 fans acting pretty threatened by Coldplay being huge. U2 is my favorite band, but Coldplay is in the position of becoming more relevant to the MTV/VH1 crowd while U2 is on their way out--which I think is primarily due to U2's age. I think with the release of x&y it'll become more and more evident. I'm a teacher and I can't tell you how many times my students simply don't give U2 much of a chance because "they're old!" Sex appeal and youth has always been huge factors in being relevant with younger audiences unfortunately. U2 has had a long long time in the sun, and it's only natural that someone will have to take their place at sometime. That doesn't mean that the band replacing U2 as "the biggest" will be better, but it will be more relevant to a new generation.

ImOuttaControl said:

I agree. I see a lot of U2 fans acting pretty threatened by Coldplay being huge. U2 is my favorite band, but Coldplay is in the position of becoming more relevant to the MTV/VH1 crowd while U2 is on their way out--which I think is primarily due to U2's age. I think with the release of x&y it'll become more and more evident. I'm a teacher and I can't tell you how many times my students simply don't give U2 much of a chance because "they're old!" Sex appeal and youth has always been huge factors in being relevant with younger audiences unfortunately. U2 has had a long long time in the sun, and it's only natural that someone will have to take their place at sometime. That doesn't mean that the band replacing U2 as "the biggest" will be better, but it will be more relevant to a new generation.

I have no problem with some young band taking over the world and taking U2's place. It seems only natural that the next generation should have their own U2 - not a copy of U2, but someone who has the same kind of impact. I just don't see how Coldplay can be that band. I know music is subjective, but some things are just so obvious they can't be denied. I've seen a couple of Coldplay's live performances on TV. It doesn't even begin to compare to the energy and excitement of early U2 - or any era of U2, for that matter - even their current era, which I think is their weakest even though I'm still a huge fan. "Mellow" is the first thing that comes to mind when I think of Coldplay, while "passionate" is the first thing that comes to mind when I think of U2.

Bono's shades said:

I have no problem with some young band taking over the world and taking U2's place. It seems only natural that the next generation should have their own U2 - not a copy of U2, but someone who has the same kind of impact. I just don't see how Coldplay can be that band. I know music is subjective, but some things are just so obvious they can't be denied. I've seen a couple of Coldplay's live performances on TV. It doesn't even begin to compare to the energy and excitement of early U2 - or any era of U2, for that matter - even their current era, which I think is their weakest even though I'm still a huge fan. "Mellow" is the first thing that comes to mind when I think of Coldplay, while "passionate" is the first thing that comes to mind when I think of U2.

I see your point of view, but I think we should wait till X&Y is released to see if they've gotten any more uptempo or not. If they could make some real rockers, they'd be unstoppable. Word is that most of the album is downtempo though, which disappoints me in a way. In any case it's still very very early to judge them--they have tons of potential and are releasing only their 3rd album. Basically in terms of years they are at the same point U2 was at in 1985, so they still have a lot of time to grow as a band.

ImOuttaControl said:

I see your point of view, but I think we should wait till X&Y is released to see if they've gotten any more uptempo or not. If they could make some real rockers, they'd be unstoppable. Word is that most of the album is downtempo though, which disappoints me in a way. In any case it's still very very early to judge them--they have tons of potential and are releasing only their 3rd album. Basically in terms of years they are at the same point U2 was at in 1985, so they still have a lot of time to grow as a band.

I am sorry to say to you but your little spill about Coldplay being as big as U2 up to this point is unfounded. Album sales don't mean as much as they used to!
At this stage, U2 had done Live Aid, released 4 albums and had huge songs such as Pride, New Years Day, Sunday Bloody Sunday and I Will Follow. The had already conquered America and they did Red Rocks.
I also don't think your quote about Bono having no sex appeal because he is old. Maybe not to the teeny boppers, but his songs do. Vertigo was really huge and almost everyone I know thought it was an awesome song full of energy. Besides where is the Sex appeal with Coldplay if that is the case?
Coldplays music is nice and safe. It's not pro-active enough in it's approach and it doesn't have any grunt. They focus way too much on sounding crystal clear rather than the emotion they put into it, which is fine.. but it just doesn't make you feel like getting off your arse and doing something good!

LuvandPeace1980 said:

I am sorry to say to you but your little spill about Coldplay being as big as U2 up to this point is unfounded. Album sales don't mean as much as they used to!
At this stage, U2 had done Live Aid, released 4 albums and had huge songs such as Pride, New Years Day, Sunday Bloody Sunday and I Will Follow. The had already conquered America and they did Red Rocks.
I also don't think your quote about Bono having no sex appeal because he is old. Maybe not to the teeny boppers, but his songs do. Vertigo was really huge and almost everyone I know thought it was an awesome song full of energy. Besides where is the Sex appeal with Coldplay if that is the case?
Coldplays music is nice and safe. It's not pro-active enough in it's approach and it doesn't have any grunt. They focus way too much on sounding crystal clear rather than the emotion they put into it, which is fine.. but it just doesn't make you feel like getting off your arse and doing something good!

Reread my posts-- I don't think you were really able to grasp the points I was making. This is the type of defensiveness we were talking about, because you read what you wanted to and missed my points. U2 is my favorite band by far with Coldplay at a distant second, so I'm not saying this like Coldplay is my favorite band, just as someone who's not defensive about U2 inevitably having to pass the torch someday.

1. Never said Coldplay was bigger than U2.

2. At their respective points in their first 5 years of thier careers, U2 had 4 big hits with I Will Follow, Pride, Sunday Bloody Sunday and New Years Day. (although I would argue that IWF wasn't a huge hit at the time, maybe only in the UK)
Coldplay has had 6 with Yellow, Trouble, Clocks, The Scientist, In My Place and Speed of Sound, all of which have been huge hits. That's even before the release of their 3rd album.

3. I'd say that Coldplay has pretty much conquered America, considering "Speed of Sound" made its debut at #8 on the U.S. charts--the first British band to accomplish this feat since The Beatles released "Hey Jude" in 1968.

4. Again, read what I wrote. Sex appeal has a lot to do with youth--U2 aren't exactly spring chickens anymore. They simply don't appeal to the under 20 crowd like they used to. Coldplay does.

5. Your last point is totally subjective. Songs like Politik, Yellow and Clocks pack a ton of emotion IMO. Why does music have to be proactive to be good? One, The Fly, Gone, With Or Without You, Vertigo, Sometimes, Until The End of the World, Stay...ect are among U2's best songs, yet they don't really inspire me to get off my ass and "do something good."

Last edited:
blahblahblah said:
'Moses' is one of the best things Coldplay have ever done! I'm kinda disappointed it's not on the album!! The performance from the Live 2003 DVD is awesome!

i really like 'moses' too...but i wish speed of sound didn't sound so derived...

Back
Top Bottom