Coldplay - Viva La Vida... Continued Discussion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I love how Chinese Sleep Chant has nothing chinese, sleepy, or chanted about...

and how it should be called Oasis Rock Band, because Coldplay goes Oasis on all our asses :rockon:

I love that LOST!, 42 and Lovers In japan are all in a row... their best trilogy!!

and I love that the obvious start for the Tour will be LIFE IN TECHNICOLOUR and VIVA LA VIDA

:drool:

not perfect, but a 8, 8.5 for sure... Coldplay lures me back in, and is a GREAT album, not like X&Y, that had 1 great 1st half

I haven't read through the whole thread, just wanted to say that I really love the new album. 42, Yes and Viva La Vida are my favourite songs on it. I ordered my coply on Amazon today, it's released here on June 13.

for GOD'S SAKE.. this is no way near or on the level of Unforgettable Fire..

I don't get all the hype. I find it meh at best in what I have heard.. This is no Rush of Blood to the Head that's for sure..

I must be the only one who feels this way...:sigh:

for GOD'S SAKE.. this is no way near or on the level of Unforgettable Fire..

I don't get all the hype. I find it meh at best in what I have heard.. This is no Rush of Blood to the Head that's for sure..

I must be the only one who feels this way...:sigh:

I don't think he's comparing it to UF - he's just using the sequencing of U2 albums, and how they fared, as an analogy. One that I don't really agree with.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, of course, but so far it seems that the majority of people like this album, and I'm not just talking here. It seems to be getting mostly positive reviews elsewhere as well.

I really really like the new album. But I don't think it's better than Rush Of Blood. Still a very good Coldplay album, better than I expected.

I really really like the new album. But I don't think it's better than Rush Of Blood. Still a very good Coldplay album, better than I expected.

Agreed! It's awesome but not better than Rush. Unless listening to an official copy when it comes out will change that. :hmm:

guess i need to listen to it a few more times. Hopefully it will grow on me. Usually tho, first or second listen sums it up for me on whether I dig it or not.. Time will tell.. :shrug:

jeez, it really feels weird to be the only one here who feels this way. :depressed:

guess I should stay out of this thread until I have heard it a few more times.:reject:

I really like the acoustic version as well, but I also agree with what someone else said (now it's my turn to forget) that the acoustic version is more like the traditional Coldplay sound, so I can see why they didn't use it. I'm glad it at least exists for us, though, cuz it is really good.

<--- that was me :wink:

Surprising as it might sound gang, the song which has grown on me the most is...

Violet Hill

I know, I know, for some reason the more I listen to it in context with the rest of the album, the more I enjoy it.

Agreed! It's awesome but not better than Rush. Unless listening to an official copy when it comes out will change that. :hmm:

I thought the same thing.
Yesterday afternoon.
But after listening to this thing about 12 times now i have to say that there are a couple of songs on Rush I could skip over -- on this one, not a single track leaves me feeling that way.
It's a fantastic album --and it is just that, an album with a definite begining, middle and end.
Well done, boys and Master Eno...well done.

The album is now streaming over at this website:

IHeartMusic.com

For all the people who have a moral and legal compass and don't want to be locked up in jail for pirating music!!!

Yes, they have the full versions of each song.

It sounds the same as the version we already have but a little cleaner and crisper.

I've been listening through the stream and I'm on 42 right now, and this song is a goodie!!!

"You thought you might be a ghost! You didn't get to heaven but you made it close!"

That goofball Martin...what will he come up with next?

I read somewhere that they had recorded a version of Life in Technicolor with vocals, and a friend of the band told them that it was too "typical Coldplay" so they stuck with the instrumental.

I think that is a testament to how consciously they tried to run away from their past on this album.

I'm thinking, though, that I would like to hear that version of LIT with vocals. :hmm:

I read somewhere that they had recorded a version of Life in Technicolor with vocals, and a friend of the band told them that it was too "typical Coldplay" so they stuck with the instrumental.

I think that is a testament to how consciously they tried to run away from their past on this album.

I'm thinking, though, that I would like to hear that version of LIT with vocals. :hmm:

interesting... I would have liked to see Cemeteries Of London as the first track.

Shit, that sucks. My bad.

I wonder if they disabled the stream or somethin and I just was early enough to get it.

Also, my enjoyment of this album increases with every listen. My top three tracks right now are probably 42, Yes/Chinese Sleep Chant, and Viva La Vida.

Viva La Vida really should have been the first single. Horrific move releasing Violet Hill first. At some point, they really should release Lost! and Lovers In Japan as singles, which would make the list:

1. Violet Hill
2. Viva La Vida
3. Lost!
4. Lovers In Japan

Which certainly kicks the shit out of X&Y's single releases:

1. Speed Of Sound
2. Fix You
3. Talk
4. The Hardest Part (limited)
5. What If (limited)
6. White Shadows (Mexico only)

A part of me still thinks this album will fail to sell 10 million in spite of its quality, but I hope I'm wrong. They deserve it.

Viva La Vida really should have been the first single. Horrific move releasing Violet Hill first. At some point, they really should release Lost! and Lovers In Japan as singles, which would make the list:

1. Violet Hill
2. Viva La Vida
3. Lost!
4. Lovers In Japan

Which certainly kicks the shit out of X&Y's single releases:

1. Speed Of Sound
2. Fix You
3. Talk
4. The Hardest Part (limited)
5. What If (limited)
6. White Shadows (Mexico only)

A part of me still thinks this album will fail to sell 10 million in spite of its quality, but I hope I'm wrong. They deserve it.

I think it's going to be a huge success. Most of their fans are in our age group and a great deal of them still enjoyed X&Y. Violet Hill and its video got a lot of airplay on the usual channels and Viva la Vida's on that iTunes commercial and is the top-selling song on there right now.

I'd like to see 42 and Lost! as singles, they're probably the most single-worthy songs of the rest of the lot.

What If's almost as terrible as Fix You, yet no one talks about that one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom