Coldplay this Coldplay that...how about Doves?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Doves are great, :heart: "Last Broadcast" is probably my favourite record of theirs, but I love all three of their albums. Saw them live twice and -almost- got the tambourine their lead singer gave away at the end of the show; the girl next to me got it, :)

I wouldn't really compare Doves to U2 though; if I was to compare them to anyone I think that Elbow would be the closest. What both bands lack IMO in comparison to U2 and Coldplay is an identifiable frontman - love him or hate him, Chris Martin is one of the few distinct frontmen nowadays whose name the general public actually knows. In terms of identity, Doves are like the other three guys from Coldplay.

I wouldn't really compare Doves to U2 though; if I was to compare them to anyone I think that Elbow would be the closest.

Agreed, thread over.

Also, if you don't think Lost Souls is a fantastic and 100% solid album, you shouldn't be allowed to listen to or write a word about any form of music ever again.

Also, did someone actually call My Bloody Valentine '90's Brit-pop? Uh....so is Creed early 00's Americana by that standard then?

:no:

I would never argue U2-Doves, because Doves don't shamefully promote themselves in the way U2 does, or use quotes that sound so close to Bono's that they're bordering on plagiarism or even admit that they dream about U2 and try to say that their fourth album is like their "Unforgettable Fire". :

The reason for Coldplay's "shameful" promotion is because they have tons of interviews, and confront the same inane and repetitive questions all the time. The anti-Coldplay brigade always get bitter about everything Martin has to way, without recognising that they themselves would probably sound quite similar if they were asked to confront the same questions fielded at Coldplay. All it is is talk about inspiration. Didn't know it was such taboo.

Back
Top Bottom