Coldplay + Brian Eno = Something awesome

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I like just about every song on Parachutes, and more than that I love the album's warmth, which is the one thing missing frmo Rush of Blood, it's just not a very warm album, though definitely better produced and cleaner.

Lancemc said:
I like just about every song on Parachutes, and more than that I love the album's warmth, which is the one thing missing frmo Rush of Blood, it's just not a very warm album, though definitely better produced and cleaner.

amsterdam :drool:

Lancemc said:

:up:

I'm listening to Parachutes right now.

Wasn't every song from this album a single at some point?

I remember it being a ridiculous amount.

it's a long time ago i last listened to parachutes. i have to give it another listen soon.

U2Man said:
i'm listening to the velvet teen now :drool:

Glad you like.

Not to completely derail my own thread, but i'm listening to Yankee Hotel Foxtrot for the first time ever right now...first time ever listening to Wilco actually. And I must say I finally took the plunge and just bought this damn album. :drool:

Lancemc said:

Agreed 100%. Quite simply, Parachutes is better than Rush because I like more of the songs on it. Both are strong, but Parachutes also has more variety, is warmer, and more inviting. It also doesn't turn into slush towards the end like Rush does.

But both completely destroy X&Y. :yuck:

once you're into wilco you cannot stop listening to them. they're like radiohead. you become an addict.

U2Man said:
once you're into wilco you cannot stop listening to them. they're like radiohead. you become an addict.

I just picked up Summerteeth, but haven't quite gotten into it yet. I love A Shot In The Arm. :drool:

Lancemc said:
Amsterdam is one of the best songs on Rush of blood. No doubt. :drool:

Best song they've ever done, far and away. Unfortunately I've only seen them play it love once. It was on the setlist for the second time I saw them but they played Everything's Not Lost in its place.

Anygay, I hear some rumblings of Wilco in here. I wuv Wilco......but most of you know that already.

inmyplace13 said:

Best song they've ever done, far and away. Unfortunately I've only seen them play it love once. It was on the setlist for the second time I saw them but they played Everything's Not Lost in its place.

everything's not lost is :drool:

hey do you have Live 2003?

I got it and love it:drool:

chris_martin.jpg

COCA COLA FOOTBALL RADIO RADIO RADIO RADIO

I'm no Coldplay hater, just very very very disappointed with the lightweight shite that is X&Y being what came after the very excellent Parachutes and Rush of Blood. I sincerely hope they find that momentum again. Very talented group. I'd like to see them have their Joshua Tree mega-album time in the sun, and I think if their third album had trumped Parachutes & Rush of Blood they would have been anointed the undisputed heavyweight champs. Unfortunately, X&Y was more Atomic than Achtung, and sounded like a band trying to replicate themselves via a formula. That plan always produces something poor.

Earnie Shavers said:
I'm no Coldplay hater, just very very very disappointed with the lightweight shite that is X&Y being what came after the very excellent Parachutes and Rush of Blood. I sincerely hope they find that momentum again. Very talented group. I'd like to see them have their Joshua Tree mega-album time in the sun, and I think if their third album had trumped Parachutes & Rush of Blood they would have been anointed the undisputed heavyweight champs. Unfortunately, X&Y was more Atomic than Achtung, and sounded like a band trying to replicate themselves via a formula. That plan always produces something poor.

Very insightful. And I agree with everything you just said 100%. Hopefully Eno can draw something fresh from the band, and reignite that creative spark evident in their first two albums. I wouldn't mind Coldplay being the biggest band in the world...as long as their music warrants it. X&Y warranted no such claim.

LemonMelon said:

Both are strong, but Parachutes also has more variety, is warmer, and more inviting.

see, I disagree. to me, Parachutes is too downtempo and depressing. Sure, you have songs like Shiver and Yellow, but overall I think Rush has a lot more variety. A Rush beautifully creates this atmosphere that sucks you in... I don't get that as much from Parachutes.

but Parachutes also has Don't Panic, the best Coldplay song ever :drool:

We'll have to see what direction Eno steers them in. Will it be more subtle, to contrast the attempted bombast of X&Y? or will it be more "rock" to try to push Coldplay into territory they haven't really explored? (let's face it, Coldplay makes Elevation sound like heavy metal)

Canadiens1160 said:
Slightly drunk Mike says Coldplay+Eno is much better than Coldplay alone! GibsonGirl please feel free to scorn me when I'm sober!

Are you sober right now?

AtomicBono said:

see, I disagree. to me, Parachutes is too downtempo and depressing. Sure, you have songs like Shiver and Yellow, but overall I think Rush has a lot more variety. A Rush beautifully creates this atmosphere that sucks you in... I don't get that as much from Parachutes.

but Parachutes also has Don't Panic
I agree with this, that's why I prefer AROBTH.

Back
Top Bottom