coldplay-biggest rock band in the world?!?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
joyfulgirl said:
Ok, Coldplay fans. I have never heard a Coldplay record all the way through and that's because I haven't yet heard a Coldplay song that I like (on the radio, or in a video, etc.) I also know that sometimes the singles aren't necessarily the good songs so perhaps I shouldn't dismiss them yet. But what I've heard just sounds bland to my ear, kinda white bread and not even remotely interesting. I was watching a live concert on TV months ago and I changed the channel after 2 or 3 songs because I found them so incredibly uninteresting. What am I missing? Can somebody recommend some songs that I might not have heard that demonstrate why they are considered by many to be the next possible best band in the world? I just don't get it. :shrug:

I'll give it a go... :)

One of the things that makes me like a song most is lyrics, and I think Chris Martin has written some really good ones. The lyrics to Yellow make it a really sweet love song. I also like the lyrics to In My Place, The Scientist, Warning Sign, Everything's Not Lost, and Shiver just to name a few. I also like a very clear, clean guitar sound, and Coldplay's music has a lot of that. They also use a lot of piano, which I like as well. When I listen to the albums, instead of boring and bland, I find the sound to be simple and elegant, beautiful and forthright. But, having seen them live, I know that they can play some strong rock music when the song supports it--Politik, Daylight, God Put a Smile Upon Your Face. The simple piano in Trouble sounds so pretty to me and gets me every time.

I love a lot of bands that are completely different from Coldplay, so it's not that this is the only style of music I like. But something about Coldplay's honesty is very appealing to me. They are the only band that most of us at work all listen to and one of the few bands my sisters like that I also like. They are not a band with a gimmick or famous personalities that outshine the music, and I appreciate that.

I can't speak for anyone else here, and I'm certainly not trying to convert everyone (how boring would B&C be if we all liked the same stuff? :) ) but maybe that is a decent answer as to why I listen to Coldplay and why so many other people do too.

Yes I was joking dear zonee. :mad:
I know you and U2Kitten were joking dear zonee :mad:
You should know by now I am hardly ever serious. :mad:

:kiss:
Lucky I like you more than Coldplay :wink:

Thanks HeartlandGirl! We have similar tastes so I'll try to stay open to them and listen with what you said in mind. :)

I don't agree with this either. I love them, they have great songs and a great live show. But they aren't exactly U2. They haven't stood the test of time the way U2 have........and I wouldn't rate CNN that highly on musical knowledge either.

For only putting out 2 albums and the 2nd one 100 times better than the first, they are on their way to being great. For a sophmore effort 'Rush of Blood to the Head' is pretty amazing.

P.S. Justin Timberlake... is not a band you ditz!!!

Last edited:
I'm not a ditz, I know he's not a band, shit, even N'Sync wasn't a band! I was saying he is bigger than them, and mostly I was attempting to make a joke to lighten up the hatefulness and hard feelings going down. Now, I am not mad at zoney, but I am mad at gherman:madspit: :grumpy:

U2Kitten said:
Justin Timberlake is bigger than Coldplay but I don't like him :lol: I never said they weren't big, just not the biggest and most popular thing out there. Because Justin Timberlake is :dance:

:laugh::applaud:

so perhaps Coldplay is the biggest british "rock" band in America in 2003?

I hope not,
but it could be true

U2Kitten said:

Thom Yorke :scream: *fingernails on chalkboard* :uhoh:

perfectly stated

Coldplay is not the best band/act in the world. They're not as successful or experienced as some others and only have two albums. Popular does not equal best.

I would say Coldplay have the potential to become ONE of the great rock bands. That being said they are nowhere near currently. As stated before, they need to stand the test of time and have at least 2 or 3 more great albums. Their last album was good but they need to surpass it to even start to come close. I think they play well live, but the actual stage performance is a bit lacking IMO. Chris's stage presense just seems awkward at times to me, although it got better as the last tour went on I think. Again, with time they will possibly get better at that as well. There are so few really good new or up and coming rock acts out there right now. They seem to be one of the better groups in that category and the media is always looking for what could possibly be the next big thing. I think that is what is driving this. I say all of this and I'am not even a big fan. But I can recognize that there is alot of potential there. Songs like Clocks, The Scientist, Politik and even the new song Poor Me are all very good songs. I would like to hear an album that I can listen to all the way through though without falling to sleep. They havent done that yet for me at least.

Another thing to remember about this. People were saying the same thing about Oasis a few years back.

Last edited:
Until I see Coldplay COMPLETELY reinvent themselves (the way U2 did with Achtung Baby/Zoo TV) and remain relevant/popular, they will never be anywhere near U2. I love Coldplay, but, in my opinion, what makes U2 so great is how they totally changed their image and still remained popular (if not becoming more popular)....

Back
Top Bottom