Coldplay Announce New Album Tracks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree with you, I hate that too! I should have qualified my yawn a bit better I guess...I dunno..it's probably more reflective of my opinion of modern rock in general...maybe I'm getting old, but when I was younger it was not uncommon for me to get really excited about bands other than U2...but now? meh. I'd actually WELCOME something exciting from a Coldplay or whatever...but I pretty much know (and if the song titles are any indication) what I'm going to get :|

inmyplace13 said:
Considering "Don't Panic" was a reference to that book, you might be on to something.

Damnit, now I do need to kick Chris Martin in the arse. I find some of Coldplay's earlier stuff tolerable, but not that song.

I've rarely heard of anyone calling "Don't Panic" intolerable. Hell, I've always felt that most people hold it in their upper echelon of Coldplay tunes (I certainly do). But this is why I like you, Axy.

What makes us different makes us great.

Is Don't Panic the song with the drab vocals and slushy drums and acoustic guitars? Oh wait, that's all of Parachutes, I forgot :doh:

If the next Coldplay album is as good as Kindergarten Cop, we're in for a treat.

KindergardenCop16.jpg

inmyplace13 said:
I've rarely heard of anyone calling "Don't Panic" intolerable. Hell, I've always felt that most people hold it in their upper echelon of Coldplay tunes (I certainly do). But this is why I like you, Axy.

What makes us different makes us great.

See, I just find Don't Panic to be horribly mundane, and the chorus makes me cringe. I'll tolerable songs like Daylight, In My Place, and even Clocks and to a lesser extent Yellow.

I've never understood why almost everyone I know likes The Scientist, though. But it seems I disagree with everyone most of the time, I so I suppose it's just as well. Wouldn't want the universe to disintegrate. :wink:

"we live in a beautiful world"...

FUCK YOU, Chris Martin... FUCK YOU, Coldplay...

wasn't there a WORST song to put on that album?...

everything like out of tune... but it doesn't work...

now, Brandon Flowers is AMAZING singing out of tune :hmm:

*in case you didn't noticed, I jumped in on the Don't Panic hate bandwagon :happy:

Canadiens1160 said:
Is Don't Panic the song with the drab vocals and slushy drums and acoustic guitars? Oh wait, that's all of Parachutes, I forgot :doh:

No, Parachutes is the album where Chris Martin sings like he had been sucking helium before each vocal take.

Oh, wait...that's X&Y. :hmm: Now I'm just confused. :slant:

inmyplace13 said:
In a way, I agree with you here. With their first two LPs clocking in at 11 tracks, they found a really good album construct. X&Y is plagued by some, for lack of a better word, abysmal cuts, but reconstructed with some of the better non-album X&Y songs, it would have made a good 11 track album (although still not up to the excellent standards of Parachutes and Rush).

I don't really have any of the X&Y b-sides so I worked with what I had...try this -- it's the only thing that made that album tolerable for me...

1. Square One
2. Speed Of Sound
3. What If?
4. Talk
5. A Message
6. X & Y
7. Low
8. Fix You
9. White Shadows
10. Swallowed In The Sea
11. Kingdom Come

Hardest Part should have been a non-album single
the last track, twisted Logic, should have been a b-side....for Radiohead
That said, I think Fix You is one of their worst songs but I threw it on there anyway

From the latest issue of Rolling Stone:

Coldplay at Work on "Something Different" for Upcoming Album

Behind the scenes with Chris Martin and crew as they record their fourth

EVAN SERPICK

Coldplay are currently holed up in a studio in northern London, trying to hammer out the details for their still-untitled fourth album, due out in May. On a white board, three band members have posted radically different proposed track listings for the album. Chris Martin has withheld his, hoping to lobby his colleagues a little while longer. "I heard a Bono quote once that said 'Bands shouldn't break up over money, they should break up over track listing,' " he says. "Nothing could be more pertinent at this point."
To record their fourth album, the band hired legendary producer Brian Eno and pointedly tried to remove all outside influences. "We felt like the first three albums were a trilogy, and we finished that," says guitarist Johnny Buckland. "So we wanted to do something different." The band let Rolling Stone hear the songs they're working on, and most are refreshingly, bracingly different from Coldplay hits like "Clocks" and "Speed of Sound."

Several tracks are considerably rougher around the edges, with distorted guitars and more prominent percussion. The lyrics are darker, dealing with recurring themes of death and loneliness. And on several songs, Martin extends his vocal palette considerably beyond the falsetto that has largely defined him, exhibiting a lower, sexier mode that feels more personal and real. "Whether or not it's good, we certainly started to use more colors," says Martin. "It's impossible to please everybody, and it took us a while to learn that. It's just the freedom to say, 'Everyone might not like this. We're into it at the moment, so let's just get it done.' "

The band explored in a variety of sonic directions, something they attribute to Eno's encouragement. "He's just not judgmental, it's very refreshing," says Martin. Buckland adds, "It wasn't so much that he brings like a sound or something to it. He brings lots of ideas about everything, even down to like how we structured our day." His suggestion? "Take lots of breaks."

Of course, the band is still hammering away at that track listing, but here's a guide to several of the songs likely to end up on the album:

"Violet Hill": One of the strongest of the new songs, the band is considering giving it away as a special promotion in coming weeks and then leaving it off the album. Opening with a jagged distorted guitar riff, the song announces a new template: The stalking, bluesy beat fits nicely with Martin's earthy vocals and plaintive lyrics: "If you love me, won't you let me know?"

"42": The fact that the band is considering this song as the album's first real single underlines how far they're willing to a stray from their formula: It's an elaborate three-part piece, with swirling pianos, strings and beat loops that build to an uptempo climax, with some seriously stoner lyrics: "Those who are dead are not dead/They're just living in my head."

"Yes": Here, Martin's vocals take center stage like never before: Sounding more aggressive and strong than ever, they sit on top of an irresistible North African string-and-tablas arrangement and ache more convincingly than all the lilting falsetto in the world: "If you'd only, if you'd only say 'Yes'/I'm just so tired of this loneliness." It's the band's freshest song since "Parachutes."

"Death and All His Friends": A straight-up rock tune with a riff that sounds ripped from the Doobie Brothers, piano, and, in the last section, flute.

"Cemetaries of London": Notice the thematic pattern emerging from the title and lyrics? This one, with an electro loop and hand claps, doesn't sound as glum as its title portends.

"Life in Technicolor": Acoustic-guitar driven and jangly, this is one of the few tracks that seems built from the Coldplay template of songs like "Don?t Panic," only a bit more, well, panicked: "Baby it's a violent world," Martin sings.

"Chinese Sleep Chant": Opening with a jagged guitar riff, the song quickly settles into a propulsive dance-track loop with low-mixed, angelic vocals.

"Strawberry Swing": This is one of several potential album cuts with Afro-pop and high-life influences: Here, distortion-free finger-picked guitars which sound straight out of Mali mix with a heavy bassline and psychedelic synths. "My Mum comes from Zimbabwe, so I spent a lot of time there," says Martin. "I used to work in a studio where people played that."

"Reign of Love": A lovely layered composition of piano, bass and organ that backs fairytale lyrics.

Definitely looking forward to this :up:
The Coldplayers are a band that people love to hate but I dig 'em.

On the other hand, Eno needs to finish this shit and focus 100% on helping our boys finish the new stuff. Priorities!!!

elevated_u2_fan said:
:hmm:

-Changing their sound
-Mention of a "trilogy"
-Working with Eno
-Mention of a Bono quote

- and mentioning African sound influences.

elevated_u2_fan said:
From the latest issue of Rolling Stone:

Coldplay are currently holed up in a studio in northern London, trying to hammer out the details for their still-untitled fourth album, due out in May.

Their studio is next door to my office where I work. They've certainly been around a lot in the last few weeks. I see Chris normally stroll past with a starbucks in his hand around 1pm and they're always still there after i've left at 6.

elevated_u2_fan said:
:hmm:

-Changing their sound
-Mention of a "trilogy"
-Working with Eno
-Mention of a Bono quote

I can't see how anyone could make any comparisons :wink:

STFU :wink:

coldplay bashing

:(

Status
Not open for further replies.