Coldplay Announce New Album Tracks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
U2isthebest said:

And there, my friend....we differ. I do have much love in my heart for Childbirth though. I loved the hip-hop influence on 'Conformity (Truth)'

I love the segue from Other Country Sharing the Hispaniola with Haiti to that track.

(This can go on forever)

Looking at the track listings I thought I would examine what they might mean. Poppy Fields could be a reference towards WW1 or heroin cultivation. Violet Hill Gardens and street in St John's Wood are only about 250 metres from Abbey Road Studios. Hmmmm.

42 could be another war reference and Leftrightleftrightleft could be soldier marching or the obvious political leanings of one's self. The rest I haven't the foggiest but I was bored and thought I'd have some fun with it.

BonoManiac said:

Actually, Un Demain Avec Le Soleil = A Tomorrow with the Sun.

A Week with Sun = Une Semaine Avec Soleil.

Ok, carry on. :wink:

Wow, major brain fart for me. I'm semi-fluent in French. I do know that when my brain is working.:lol:

Meh on most of these names (not that that's any way to judge music, particularly when it comes to Coldplay) but I really dig "Cemeteries of London" :up:

BonoManiac said:

I'm curious as to why this is. Fine Justin, we get it. You don't care for Coldplay, and probably even less for Aracade of Fire (if such a band exists). We know, we know. But there's no need for you to come in here if you can't bring something insightful to the discussion.

It's a typo first off. Second I like coldplay. 3rd I only say I don't like Arcade Fire to show how foolish other people are on this board who go trash coldplay. Okay we get it if they don't.:wink:

U2isthebest said:
I do have to say that I'm extremely disappointed if the album really will only be around 9 songs. To me, that's unacceptable for a band of Coldplay's caliber. They owe us fans more than 42 minutes. If they release 2 other songs independently, then I won't be as down on the idea, but I really don't see why they wouldn't include them on the album. 11 songs is a much more reasonable number.

In a way, I agree with you here. With their first two LPs clocking in at 11 tracks, they found a really good album construct. X&Y is plagued by some, for lack of a better word, abysmal cuts, but reconstructed with some of the better non-album X&Y songs, it would have made a good 11 track album (although still not up to the excellent standards of Parachutes and Rush).

However, I can't really say whether or not 9 tracks would be a huge problem. Sometimes brevity can be a good thing. My favorite album of 2007, Okkervil River's The Stage Names, clocks in with its nine tracks at about the mid-40's mark. A seemingly stingy tracklist resulted in a terrific album, so I can't say whether or not a similar approach from Coldplay would be a bad thing. Honestly, it could be just what they need.

Who cares how many songs are on the album? As long as they don't suck balls, there could be eight songs on the album for all I care.

I am a huge Coldplay fan, but I haven't listened to their stuff for some time now. I also used to like X & Y - it was the first Coldplay album I had, but I appreciate only certain songs on it and Chris Martin's voice was starting to annoy me a bit, so I haven't listened to their music in months, maybe apart from the Live Album, which I really love. But with all the talk about a new Coldplay album coming out, I'm starting to get really excited again.

inmyplace13 said:

In a way, I agree with you here. With their first two LPs clocking in at 11 tracks, they found a really good album construct. X&Y is plagued by some, for lack of a better word, abysmal cuts, but reconstructed with some of the better non-album X&Y songs, it would have made a good 11 track album (although still not up to the excellent standards of Parachutes and Rush).

However, I can't really say whether or not 9 tracks would be a huge problem. Sometimes brevity can be a good thing. My favorite album of 2007, Okkervil River's The Stage Names, clocks in with its nine tracks at about the mid-40's mark. A seemingly stingy tracklist resulted in a terrific album, so I can't say whether or not a similar approach from Coldplay would be a bad thing. Honestly, it could be just what they need.

I am right with you in the sense that I will take 9 stellar tracks anyday over 11 mediocre ones. That goes for any album, of course. I think that comment is born more out of anticipation and a sense of entitlement on my part. It's almost as if I feel I'm owed more than the band can give and, that's wrong.

BonoManiac said:
Don't forget "42" vs. "40". I think that's the more obvious comparison. I know that's the first thing that popped into my head when I saw the titles.

It instantly made me think of The Hitch-Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams. If 42 is indeed a reference to that, I will personally go and kick Chris Martin in the arse for defiling the best trilogy of 4 (5) in history with his band's plague of mundanity.

i think you're taking it way too seriously

this isn't 'clearly' a coldplay appreciation thread or one exclusively for people who like them, not by a long shot. its an announcement, just like anyone else's announcement that people pipe up about. my opinion is that coldplay bores me to tears, so yeah, the announcement. elicits a yawn.

and a yawn is miles away from 'shitting all over'

wait...now *i'm taking *you way too seriously :wink:

Axver said:

It instantly made me think of The Hitch-Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams.

Considering "Don't Panic" was a reference to that book, you might be on to something.

gabrielvox said:

this isn't 'clearly' a coldplay appreciation thread or one exclusively for people who like them, not by a long shot. its an announcement, just like anyone else's announcement that people pipe up about. my opinion is that coldplay bores me to tears, so yeah, the announcement. elicits a yawn.

I understand what you're saying and my comment was not directed just at you and I am probably just in a bad mood because I'm not a morning person...

I only take 0.01% of posts on this board seriously but still these inane comments about how boring Coldplay is and how they're pussies or whatever is annoying and already has been done to death...

If you were to start a thread about your band and I were to come in and do this :yawn: x 100000000000, how would you feel?

gabrielvox said:

elevated_u2_fan said:

If you were to start a thread about your band and I were to come in and do this :yawn: x 100000000000, how would you feel?

you mean U2? well then of course that's an indefensible type of opinion on a U2 board...so probably not a great example of what you mean..

let's say...the "genius that is new order" thread...well..see..you could by all means do that, but really that would be really silly...that's clearly an appreciation thread and they're widely regarded as pioneers and well respected...so i think a comment like that would likely get hammered pretty hard and not by me only..

coldplay on the other hand...I'm not alone in the opinion that they are a boring band that's trying their hardest to get the U2 mantle passed on to them..

so ya could debate me on my opinion that they're boring, or leak me a track to convince me that maybe i might have something to get excited about...but to say that I shouldn't come in here and post my opinion, that i don't get...

anyways no worries no quarrel or anything, i understand what you mean...i just dont think it applies here thats all..

plathegreat :up: :rockon:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom