Cockram & Cockram, 6 Morrell Street Mooroopna VIC, Australia Superthread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Had a good time at the footy despite the result!

What do you think of this article ax?

'Go Back To Where You Came From' Strictly For The Gullible

Enjoy the footy :wave:

I think those complaints are strictly for the gullible! The thing about the narrator? Geez, heaven forbid narration play along with the set-up for dramatic effect. Shall we now recast plays so that instead of telling us that "John approaches his friends", the narrator tells us "here comes John, blissfully unaware that he is about to be mugged by people he thinks are friends"? No, that would ruin the whole effect. (Plus everybody could see from a mile off that the boat thing was staged, to simulate the experience. That's the whole point.)

As for the empathy/border control argument, it just rings staggeringly hollow - and I need only defer to the fact that it fails to say anything about illegal immigration via visa overstay (from individuals arriving by air), which is how almost all people who can legitimately be called "illegal immigrants" do it. If we're serious about border control, let's talk about people arriving by air and overstaying their visas. This article clearly is not, it's just about taking a potshot at a show that challenged their conclusions and made them uncomfortable, but instead of having a good hard look at themselves, they've shot back with desperate, paper-thin arguments.

U2 were fecking awesome, haven't listened to them in months but damn so awesome

Been forever seen I've been here, anyone around?

JOHN!!!! :panic:

Damn, the Glasto setlist was almost respectable.

Wow this thread isn't dead!

You're pretty much talking to someone who is completely burnt out, just finished the second last week of my masters and negotiation pretty much killed all my friendships :lol:

Hey John, you gonna start the rate the song survivor again? :wink:

Had a good time at the footy despite the result!

I think those complaints are strictly for the gullible! The thing about the narrator? Geez, heaven forbid narration play along with the set-up for dramatic effect. Shall we now recast plays so that instead of telling us that "John approaches his friends", the narrator tells us "here comes John, blissfully unaware that he is about to be mugged by people he thinks are friends"? No, that would ruin the whole effect. (Plus everybody could see from a mile off that the boat thing was staged, to simulate the experience. That's the whole point.)

As for the empathy/border control argument, it just rings staggeringly hollow - and I need only defer to the fact that it fails to say anything about illegal immigration via visa overstay (from individuals arriving by air), which is how almost all people who can legitimately be called "illegal immigrants" do it. If we're serious about border control, let's talk about people arriving by air and overstaying their visas. This article clearly is not, it's just about taking a potshot at a show that challenged their conclusions and made them uncomfortable, but instead of having a good hard look at themselves, they've shot back with desperate, paper-thin arguments.

Glad to hear!

Word. I mean it's easy to pick fault with something if you vehemently disagree with it.

So, uh, I might be in Melbourne for a few days in January. Not confirmed, but a good chance.

That would be cool. I think we're going to be travelling in New Zealand in November or December, but will be back by January.

I keep trying to head over to SA but there never seems to be the time (and money, but mostly the time). There are things I want to photograph! Places I want to see! Vlads I want to stalk (because he won't come out and meet any of us)!

Yesterday I found out I have a fairly sizeable amount of money still on a travel-money card from 2009. Totally forgot about it after I got home, very good news now.

It's just annoying that inactivity fees have been coming out of it for the last 10 months.

Still, hooray for free money! :yippie:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom