Cockplay, Scotland Superthread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey Ax, Bruce hit 30 songs at a show the other day btw, Has U2 ever even come close to that mark (especially) while they were young?

Not while they were young - I actually feel U2's sets in the eighties were disappointingly short. Shows were often closer to 90 minutes than 2 hours.

The longest U2 gig ever, both in terms of songs played and length of performance, is 27 June 2005, Dublin. 25-26 songs; depends on whether you count An Cat Dubh/Into The Heart as one song or two. And it has Vertigo x2 too. But still a killer set; only Gloria and Bad of the second leg.

Yep, that's the Bomb Threat show. Somebody phoned in a bomb threat, so the entire venue had to be evacuated before the show so that the police could search it. Of course, there was no bomb.

The end result was that the band played an amazing show, though. Bono's quite passionate, and he makes a number of references/jokes about the evacuation.

Haha, cool. I thought it might have just been that announcement the venues give at every show about using the emergency exits etc...

You know that day our work got bomb-threatened and evacuated? Apparently another threat was called in the next day, but was soundly ignored, and business went on as usual.
Okay, so the odds of there really being a bomb after the previous one was a hoax might be minute, but there's still a chance it wouldn't be.
If I was a terrorist, I'd call a fake one in on one day, then plant a real one the next day, if I knew that people were going to ignore it.

I hate the 40 version of Feed The World...wtf was that all about Bono?

God, that cracks me up. It's fucking MARCH and he's singing "feed the world, let them know it's Christmastime". He did it at the vast majority of U2's gigs in 1985 too ... between January and July.

b) it's not an Adam bassline. Damn you, Edge! *shakes fist*

Is this meant to imply Adam is not even the best bassist in U2, or just that you don't dig Edge's style?

Haha, cool. I thought it might have just been that announcement the venues give at every show about using the emergency exits etc...

You know that day our work got bomb-threatened and evacuated? Apparently another threat was called in the next day, but was soundly ignored, and business went on as usual.
Okay, so the odds of there really being a bomb after the previous one was a hoax might be minute, but there's still a chance it wouldn't be.
If I was a terrorist, I'd call a fake one in on one day, then plant a real one the next day, if I knew that people were going to ignore it.

Hah. Yeah, I would have thought they'd take it a bit more seriously, given that isn't the most farfetched logic at all. Did they ever work out who it was who called in the threats?

Yep, that's the Bomb Threat show. Somebody phoned in a bomb threat, so the entire venue had to be evacuated before the show so that the police could search it. Of course, there was no bomb.

The end result was that the band played an amazing show, though. Bono's quite passionate, and he makes a number of references/jokes about the evacuation.

Why do Bomb Threat shows always seem to turn into such fantastic events? :lol:
Bruce had one, and during the 90 minute evacuation (which occured halfway through the original concert btw) Bruce and co. went to the hotel bar and got sloshed. When the came back, almost every song they played was at least ten minutes long (The E Street Shuffle was over 20 I think) and included lots of hilarious drunken Bruce rambling. He told this FANTASTIC story about how he Met Clarence Clemons too. It's fairly epic :lol: The show lasted until 2 o'clock in the morning :crack:

Not while they were young - I actually feel U2's sets in the eighties were disappointingly short. Shows were often closer to 90 minutes than 2 hours.

The longest U2 gig ever, both in terms of songs played and length of performance, is 27 June 2005, Dublin. 25-26 songs; depends on whether you count An Cat Dubh/Into The Heart as one song or two. And it has Vertigo x2 too. But still a killer set; only Gloria and Bad of the second leg.

I mentioned while they were young, cause from what I understand he was known for going even longer when he was younger, but it's good to see that the Vertigo tour is were you really see the longest shows. But I'll never understand the 2x Vertigo

I'm listening to the first few tracks of teh Depot show before I go to bed, and God, all I can say is that Streets is an AMAZING opener

Bruce had one, and during the 90 minute evacuation (which occured halfway through the original concert btw) Bruce and co. went to the hotel bar and got sloshed. When the came back, almost every song they played was at least ten minutes long (The E Street Shuffle was over 20 I think) and included lots of hilarious drunken Bruce rambling. He told this FANTASTIC story about how he Met Clarence Clemons too. It's fairly epic :lol: The show lasted until 2 o'clock in the morning :crack:

This is so cool.

Is this meant to imply Adam is not even the best bassist in U2, or just that you don't dig Edge's style?
Oh, you don't like the Beatles' songs, but you'll paraphrase their one-liners? :tsk:

I'm just saying that Edge's brain works differently to Adam's brain. Plus he's used to playing a normal guitar so he'd approach a bassline from a different angle. Adam's angle is easier for someone who's never picked up a normal guitar in her life :wink:

(It's not just the number of strings, guitars and basses are tuned in a different way, too. You can't play an open chord on a bass... :lol: You can do chords on a bass, but I never learned how, and it's just... different.)

:laugh: That's just awesome! You know, as much as I don't really like what I know of Springsteen's studio material, everything I've heard of him live has appealled. I've said in the past that I wouldn't cross the road to get his studio discography for free, but would think about paying to see him if he came to Melbourne.

I mentioned while they were young, cause from what I understand he was known for going even longer when he was younger, but it's good to see that the Vertigo tour is were you really see the longest shows. But I'll never understand the 2x Vertigo

I'm listening to the first few tracks of teh Depot show before I go to bed, and God, all I can say is that Streets is an AMAZING opener

Yeah, Bad and 40 would turn into sprawling epics sometimes (respective record runtimes are 16:16 and 16:45), but the sets in general were shorter, often 16-19 songs.

I hope they start to push towards the 2.5 hour mark on the next tour. One perk of stadium shows is that they do tend to play a bit longer, even if it's just one or two songs more.

That I Will Follow was a little weird. It felt like it slowed down halfway through

Bono can you REALLY not remember where you are :huh: You're in freaking' DUBLIN! don't you live there?

Hah. Yeah, I would have thought they'd take it a bit more seriously, given that isn't the most farfetched logic at all. Did they ever work out who it was who called in the threats?

They never even made an official announcement about WTF had actually happened. I imagine they didn't want to give all the other idiots working there ideas... But an email went around asking if anyone had any information, and reminding us not to let anyone through the security doors without a pass, etc etc. If they catch whoever it was, I doubt we'll ever hear about it, except through the rumour mill.

:laugh: That's just awesome! You know, as much as I don't really like what I know of Springsteen's studio material, everything I've heard of him live has appealled. I've said in the past that I wouldn't cross the road to get his studio discography for free, but would think about paying to see him if he came to Melbourne.

I would say if you can stand it, do see him sometime if he comes anywhere near you. It was just so amazing. The guy's edging on 50 and he still jumps around the stage, plays 25-30 song shows, and rocks the fuck out where at all possible. Not to mention the fact that he's played over 100 different songs this tour!

I have to find the transcript of the story he told about Meeting Clarence...it's just so hilariously random, because it's obvious that he forgot what he was talking about for a couple minutes, so he rambled til he could remember

Yeah, Bad and 40 would turn into sprawling epics sometimes (respective record runtimes are 16:16 and 16:45), but the sets in general were shorter, often 16-19 songs.

I hope they start to push towards the 2.5 hour mark on the next tour. One perk of stadium shows is that they do tend to play a bit longer, even if it's just one or two songs more.

If I had to go to a stadium show, I damn well better get an effin long set that's all I know :lol:

A Sprawling Bad is something I would not mind I'll tell you that much.

Bono can you REALLY not remember where you are :huh: You're in freaking' DUBLIN! don't you live there?

What does he do? In the performance of OOC on 30/12/89, he does this acting routine like he's in Las Vegas - but it makes sense because he talks about "I remember playing Dublin, turn of the decade, '89 to '90, now there was a special night".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom