Cockburn Street, Edinburgh, Scotland Superthread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think I'm getting the wrong guy, I'm fairly sure I meant bigjohn who went on that anti-immigration rant a while ago.

Oooh that guy. I think I largely avoided the immigration arguments because I knew I'd just get angry, and in an unproductive way.

I don't think it's entirely unlikely, are you of the stance that there were absolutely no shieldmaidens, or that they were far smaller in number than the limited study implies? 13 isn't much to go on, after all.

Far smaller.

To say that there absolutely were none would imply that I 1) had extensive knowledge of Viking excavations (which I don't) and 2) that I had extensive knowledge of the things that has been destroyed in British and Scandinavian excavating for purposes other than heritage (which I obviously don't have, because any of that evidence would be destroyed.) There's some evidence so state that there have been occasional occurrences of Viking women being killed in battle - there's an English scholar named Judith Jesch who's done some work into this and found some evidence of representations of valkyries being based on actual occurrences of combat.

I suppose the most irritating thing is seeing people who'll tear about conservative arguments for logical flaws being enamoured with this article...which has serious logical flaws, just because it has a cool premise.

If U2 pull finger and actually release an album this year (an album in which I honestly have zero interest right now), that means live shows, even a tour. That means I have to do work on U2gigs. That means I have to find the time. Time I don't have. :uhoh:

What work? You just have to copy paste the exact same shit over and over again. :wink:

Now if it were a Pearl Jam Gigs job...

Haha.

I really don't know if I can do the live gig reporting this time - in no small part because I'm now out of the loop and can't dig up all the sources like I used to, but mainly because the gigs are at such awkward times for me work-wise. This was much easier when I was a student!

Oh well, knowing U2, I probably won't have to worry about this (besides a few promo dates) until March or April next year, and that's over half a year away!

If ya gotta hang up the spurs, ya gotta hang up the spurs. You've been doing it a long time, I don't think anyone should blame you for not being the same person you were years ago, ya know?

At this point I'd be intrigued in hearing a U2 record if it came in a zip file in my inbox where I wouldn't know a single song beforehand - not from a beach clip or a newspaper article description or by knowing already a couple of singles etc.. It would probably turn out to be crap anyway, but it would be an interesting experience for a band that has been drowning in pre-release hype and not fulfilling it for the past 15 years.

Otherwise, yeah. Fuck that band. Based on how I feel about Bono's singing voice alone nowadays, chances that I'd really love this record are next to zero.

If ya gotta hang up the spurs, ya gotta hang up the spurs. You've been doing it a long time, I don't think anyone should blame you for not being the same person you were years ago, ya know?

I really don't want to, especially as I haven't got a replacement, but I know I'm going to have to take a reduced role during the next tour. Work takes up enough of my time that I don't have enough time to do everything I want to do in my daily life, let alone maintain the schedule necessary to keep the website up-to-date and popular. Then again, all my contracts are casual and short-term, so maybe next year I'll have too much free time anyway! :happy:

At this point I'd be intrigued in hearing a U2 record if it came in a zip file in my inbox where I wouldn't know a single song beforehand - not from a beach clip or a newspaper article description or by knowing already a couple of singles etc.. It would probably turn out to be crap anyway, but it would be an interesting experience for a band that has been drowning in pre-release hype and not fulfilling it for the past 15 years.

Otherwise, yeah. Fuck that band. Based on how I feel about Bono's singing voice alone nowadays, chances that I'd really love this record are next to zero.

Honestly, I'll probably ignore any hype so well through disinterest that when the album leaks, it will still be almost unheard for me, even if they go the usual promo route. Those newspaper article descriptions in particular are usually so laughably wrong anyway.

Bono can't sing any more. *cue Peterrrrrr rant*

fuck it man, you've moved on.

maybe they'll release an orchestral cover album of Italian pop music.

... That should be a Patton jab I guess, although it really makes no sense. Work on your bloody sarcasm skills Cobbler.

Most days I will be free. I'm keeping a pretty open book. The only day I really have organised something is this Monday I'm going to see a taping of Craig Ferguson. And I fly out to New York fairly early Wednesday.

Hiring a car tomorrow, which could be the death of me (Going to see Seinfeld in Vegas).

So yeah if you guys wanna do something on one/some of those other dates, I might be in better form. Having been up for about 27 hours right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom