CNN Reports: Charlton Heston has symptoms consistent with Alzheimer's

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HelloAngel

ONE love, blood, life
Just reported on CNN:

Actor Charlton Heston says he has symptoms consistent with Alzheimer's and is saying so now because he may not be able to later. Full story soon.

*edit* I have taken out a word that was perceived wrongly. I certainly do not believe Mr Heston or anyone deserves this terrible disease. And I apologize if anyone you thought I did.

Last edited:
It is just very sad.
He is one of our greatest actors.
He is a class act.

You don't have to agree with his opinions on the second amendment to admire and respect his body of work.

He gave a classy, eloquent, and courageos speech.

I hope some of you caught it.

I read it, deep, but now I want to hear it.

As U2 fans, most of us will think we need to target him for his pro-gun segment in the "Bullet The Blue Sky" intro on the Elevation Tour, and ridicule him for that and wish "karma" upon him for that and what not. But if we focus on that, we will overlook the fact that he took a courageous march with a friend of his, Reverend Martin Luther King, Jr.

~U2Alabama

It was the opening segment on On the Record with Greta Van Susteren
Fox News Channel. It repeats on the west coast in a couple of hours, check your listings.

I think he is just odd period. I was not making my comment based on my opinion of his views on anything. He can do whatever he wants for the NRA.

karma? wtf???

I find that comment very offensive, this is a terrible thing for him and his family, last I knew Mr. Heston had comitted no crimes or sins against others, so why this ill-will? I just don't understand that. And no, you don't have to have "sympathy" for him if that's the attitude you wish to assume, but please don't suggest he deserves this.

Last edited:
even though i do not agree with mr. heston's views on the second amendment, i do feel bad for him and his family. alzheimer's is something no one should have to deal with. it's sad to see so many great men get this crippling disease. especially since they're famous, i only pray they can live the rest of their life in dignity and not be made fun of by the press.

yeah, I don't always agree with Heston's views, but I respect the man; it's similar with another high-profile Republican, and I can only shudder to think at what some people said when they discovered that former President Reagan was diagnosed with Alzheimer's

HelloAngel said:
Just reported on CNN:

Actor Charlton Heston says he has symptoms consistent with Alzheimer's and is saying so now because he may not be able to later. Full story soon.

Karma?

Oh, real classy.

Saw is speech on NBC new this afternoon.

Like many of you said, I dont agree with his views, but I wish him and his family all the best.

By means of his unerring advocacy of the misinterpreted right to bear arms, Heston bears partial responsibility for every gun-related death, in my opinion. You'd think that the NRA would be more interested in keeping guns under control and keeping people safe rather than giving gun owners free-liscence to do what they will with them.

Alzheimer's is a bad way to go. I hope he has a pleasant rest-of-life, and I wish the best for his family.

Gah, the only conservative actor I could stand. Damn, and he liked jazz, too.

HelloAngel said:
Just reported on CNN:

Karma?

My Mom has Alzheimer's and I'm pretty sure she's never touched a gun in her entire life!

It's a horrible disease regardless of who has it or whether you agree with their opinions.

I'm laughing because it's incredibly vague and generalized, and surely you realize that most crime and/or "gun-related" deaths in this country have nothing to do with the NRA and its members?

I agree with Khanada and wanderer

While I may not agree with his views on guns....

NOBODY should have to die like this.....slowly losing your memories, having your brain slowly rot away is a painful thing to see a loved one go through. My Grandfather died from it several years ago...but he lived with it for about ten years. It was horrible when I would go visit him and he would not know me, or think I was someone he didn't like and yell at me. I knew it was just the illness, but it hurt to see him act like this. There is nothing worse than withering and wasting away until there was nothing left of his mind.

I think in terms of Charlton and Karma....it would have been Karma if he had been accidently shot.

Okay - first of all you guys - I said "karma" as a launching point in discussion.

Second of all - you don't know me, do not put words in my mouth.

Third of all, I had a grandfather die from Alzheimers and it was a profoundly sad and disturbing way to die.

I certainly do not believe Mr Heston or anyone deserves that disease nor do I believe it was karma.

Perhaps I should have clarified my news bullitin when I posted it. But in the future, please don't be so quick to jump on someone's case when they are just posting a news brief.

I post news for this board every day. Sometimes I will make a comment to facilitate discussion. That was no different than what I did here.

Once again, I apologize if I have offended any of you - but like I just wrote, in no way do I believe it was karma. I was just trying to facilitate discussion, not to have people who do not know me insult me and berate me.

I realize some of you, when discussing, put forth views that can be perceived as controversial, insulting, what have you. I am not one of those persons. I was not trying to be obnoxious or make a statement, so please stop insulting me.

HelloAngel, I'm sorry if I jump to conclusions, but the insinuation was that Mr Heston somehow got what he deserved, if you intended it to be purely "news" I suggest in the future avoiding innuendos and insinuations, regardless of whether they are really how you feel, could you imagine if Dan Rather came on the news and reported this story, and then looked straight into the camera and said, "karma?"

do you know what the fallout would be for his network and his career? sorry, I realize this is not World News Tonight, but I'm just clarifying my perspective!

The Wanderer said:
HelloAngel, I'm sorry if I jump to conclusions, but the insinuation was that Mr Heston somehow got what he deserved, if you intended it to be purely "news" I suggest in the future avoiding innuendos and insinuations, regardless of whether they are really how you feel, could you imagine if Dan Rather came on the news and reported this story, and then looked straight into the camera and said, "karma?"

do you know what the fallout would be for his network and his career? sorry, I realize this is not World News Tonight, but I'm just clarifying my perspective!

I understand your perspective completely. And I was wrong for what I wrote as a possible insinuation.

Wanderer, please consider that you might have a person completely wrong in the future. I'm a really sweet girl whether some of you know me or not. :sad:

I will watch how I say/write things from now on - and I would advise alot of you to do the same. Everyone has feelings.

i knew someone would beat me to it, as i was about to post this myself....very sad news. The first thing i thought was "Moses has alzheimer's????" I've never been a huge Chuck Heston fan, but I admire him greatly for the roles he's played and the fact that he (pun intended) sticks to his GUNS on certain issues. He also wrote a very sweet book that was for his grandson, it made me tear up!

So sad when a person so vibrant is attacked by such a ravaging disease.....I feel for him and his family... *prayers*

:(

I'm sorry HelloAngel, please accept my apology, we had a bit of a misunderstanding, again, I apologize for making assumptions (besides, it isn't you who is gleeful about someone else's misfortune)

MiniFly said:
By means of his unerring advocacy of the misinterpreted right to bear arms, Heston bears partial responsibility for every gun-related death, in my opinion.

Really?
So the planes that crashed into the WTC, Pentagon, and Pa are the fault of Boeing who made the airline then? Or the aircraft controller that cleared them for takeoff?

You'd think that the NRA would be more interested in keeping guns under control and keeping people safe rather than giving gun owners free-liscence to do what they will with them.

Whats wrong with holding criminals responsible for their crimes??

Alzheimer's is a bad way to go. I hope he has a pleasant rest-of-life, and I wish the best for his family.

Real nice, but doesn't make up for your rude comments about poetic justice earlier

Last edited:
I certainly dont agree with a lot of things he's done either, but that is horrible news.
And imagine knowing that youve got it and are fully aware of what is going to happen to you and your family.
What hell.
I wish the people in a position to do something about this disease and others would get off their butss and get to work already. :(

MiniFly said:
Here be a link for y'all:

http://www.reuters.com/news_article.jhtml?type=topnews&StoryID=1312995

Wonder how many of the Ten Commandments ole Moses can remember..... Sorry, that was low, but I have no sympathy for the man.

I can't even believe I'm reading this. You can justify your comments any way you like but this is a horrible, very ugly thing to say. You need to look up the definition of "compassion" because you have none.

Back
Top Bottom