Clerks 2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
http://www.clerks2.com/redband/index.html

lmao.gif

Might be offensive to some viewers.
nana.gif

Comes out Friday. So far 5 fresh reviews on Rotten Tomatoes. Ah, juvenile humour by adults, doesn't come much better than this.
nutkick.gif

I saw this posted at another board:

July 19, 2006 -- DON'T joke about women, donkeys and bestiality if you expect Joel Siegel to watch your movie. That's what director Kevin Smith found out when the pun-loving "Good Morning America" film critic stormed out of a press screening of Smith's "Clerks II," which opens Friday - an act that's sparked a vicious war of words between the two.

"Time to go!" roared Siegel to his fellow critics. "First movie I've walked out of in 30 [bleeping] years!" His tirade came 40 minutes into the long-awaited Weinstein Company sequel to Smith's 1994 cult classic about two foul-mouthed Long Island convenience store clerks who razz customers and goof off.

In the scene that sent Siegel to the exit, the characters graphically discuss hiring a woman to perform sexual favors on a donkey. Siegel told Page Six: "It was so foul and mean and repulsive. I finally realized I could not say anything positive . . . I wasn't ready for this kind of smut . . . I hope he doesn't make any more movies."

An apoplectic Smith fired back on his MySpace blog: "Getting a bad review from Siegel is like a badge of honor. This is the guy who stole his mustachioed-critic shtick from Gene Shalit years ago, and still refuses to give it back. This is a guy who seemingly prides himself on his own nyuk-nyuk wordplay. For 'Pirates 2,' he made us all titter with 'Yo, Ho, Ho and a Bottle of Fun' . . . He made us squeal with delight when he wrote, 'Wheelie Good Time for "Cars." ' I mean, Fozzy [bleeping] Bear laughs at this guy."

And there's more: "I don't need Joel Siegel to [bleep] my [bleep] the way he apparently [bleeps] M. Night Shyamalan's, gushing over his flick ['The Lady in the Water'] before he's even seen it, but [bleep] man, man - how about a little common [bleeping] courtesy? You never, never disrupt a movie, simply because you don't like it. Cardinal rule of moviegoing: Shut your [bleeping] mouth while the movie's playing.

"I don't come down to your job and slap the taste out of your mouth for coming up with a line like, ' "Shark Tale" Is a Halibut Good Time' - so don't [bleep] with my stuff while it's still screening . . . What are you, a 12-year-old boy cutting loose with your pals at a Friday night screening of 'Scary Movie' 4' while your parents are in a theater down the hall watching 'The Devil Wears Prada'? Leave the diva-like behavior and drama-queen antics to the movie stars, not the movie reviewer, ya' rude-ass [bleep]."

Oh, this is one of those movies which will probably be trashed by the mainstream critics. But this is a film that is not meant for mainstream audiences. This is a specific film for a specific audience.

Usually I appreciate critics' opinions as a group like using Rotten Tomatoes to get some kind of consensus. But sometimes, you have to accept a film for what it is and not expect to much. Of course, Joel Siegel won't like this, why should he, he isn't the target audience. The more mainstream critics who pan this, the more juvenile humoured people like myself will want to see it.:wink:

I hate to be the fly in the ointment, I just have a question.

Am I the only one of his generation (born in the 70's, I guess) who loves independent movies, irreverent humor and yet thinks Kevin Smith's movies pretty much suck?

I think he's like the garden variety. Pretty much typical low brow and not so good most of the time. I know a lot of people who agree with me, maybe it's something we are missing. Low brow works when it's either so clever it's absurd (South Park) or so absurd it's clever (Zucker, Farrelly bros), even if it's low brow It's like Ben Stiller or Mel Brooks, or Rob Smigel, low brow but biting, witty, Kevin Smith is just kinda, a joke that feeds on it's own universe. Not unlike that Bob Saget show, where it's funnier when you know the context of the banality. It's still kind of lame.

Clerks was pretty decent, probably his best, I can't imagine returning back to this well would mean anyting other than a
tired effort. I hope it's good, I'll probably watch it eventually, just not optimistic.

I can't speak for anyone else. But the Jersey trio, now quad of movies by Smith are nostalgic. In a most sincerely juvenile way. I have friends like these characters. I work with people like these characters. That may not say much about my level of maturity.:reject: (Or my read on people).But some of it's funny as hell. And I just chock it up to livin' in a small town in Jersey.:wink:

(BTW: I cannot give any real critique on any given movie. My favorite will always be. . . Star Wars.)

Last edited:
Saw this today....and yes, while it includes much offensive material, I must say, it exceeded my expectations. The dialogue won't offend anyone who wasn't offended by the first Clerks (or any of the other KS flicks, for that matter). Definitely recommended to Kevin Smith fans, though...the ending ties thing up nicely....and I laughed through the whole thing....

Went to this last night and LOVED it! I was laughing all the way through and I thought the ending was really great.

I want to see it again!

I love how with Kevin Smiths movies they can be really juvenile, almost vulgar humour but at the same time they can be really quite poignant.

Really enjoyed this. Great flick! :yes:

Last edited:
:up:

The first 15 minutes were really disappointing, but it picked up after that. Especially with Elias in the mix. :lol:

PlaTheGreat said:
:up:

The first 15 minutes were really disappointing, but it picked up after that. Especially with Elias in the mix. :lol:
i just got back from seeing this and i really enjoyed it.

and yeah, the mildly retarded elias made the movie for me.

one ring to rule them all...

I saw this today hoping to get a few laughs but I was :laugh: the whole time! IMO i like it better than the first Clerks, maybe because I :heart: Elias and pillow pants. Porch monkey 4 life! :lmao:

However the whole scene with the donkey made me want to :barf:

Back
Top Bottom