Cinnaminson, New Jersey Superthread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Just about everything 10 touches these days is five different kinds of shit. I can't believe they, of all people, had the good sense to bring back Good News Week - and they still manage to poison it with stupid cross-promotional bollocks that I'm sure McDermott & Co. must find bloody nauseating.

True. I guess I'm just not overly entertained by that sort of egocentric acting, except in a let's-laugh-at-it kind of way. I imagine I would have rather enjoyed seeing the classic shoegazers go about their stuff ... that's really what music's all about to me. If I wanted theatre, I'd go see a play, you know?

Also, the idea of bumping into Jagger at an IGA is fucking hysterical.

I imagine GNW are probably still pissed off they're on 10 rather than ABC, anyway. Must shit them every time they're on air and have to reference Big Brother or whatever.

I only laugh at it, usually. But I think most performers like Jagger understand that absolutely. They just want the audience to be entertained, and I personally love that. It's not exactly theatre. Combining theatre with pop music could be nothing but a rubbish idea. I fucking hated the characters Bono played as in Zoo TV. Maybe it's just because of his overacting. There's a fine line between laughing at something and finding it downright irritating. Not shoegazers, for example! But of course, I don't expect most bands do get all like that. Or even any these days. Frontmen have such little character now that it's just not worth it. If it did happen, it would be part of the individual's own desire.

I've already sent him Nowhere.

Bizarrely, I don't recall him digging Seagull. SEAGULL.

What the fuck. Oh well, opinions, etc.

In that case, though Whirlpool by Chapterhouse, or Souvlaki by Slowdive, or Death of Cool by Kitchens of Distinction. I love all them. Also Ax, do you have Adorable's Against Perfection? I just remembered that being an album I've looked about for, maybe for a few years now.

I imagine GNW are probably still pissed off they're on 10 rather than ABC, anyway. Must shit them every time they're on air and have to reference Big Brother or whatever.

I only laugh at it, usually. But I think most performers like Jagger understand that absolutely. They just want the audience to be entertained, and I personally love that. It's not exactly theatre. Combining theatre with pop music could be nothing but a rubbish idea. I fucking hated the characters Bono played as in Zoo TV. Maybe it's just because of his overacting. There's a fine line between laughing at something and finding it downright irritating. Not shoegazers, for example! But of course, I don't expect most bands do get all like that. Or even any these days. Frontmen have such little character now that it's just not worth it. If it did happen, it would be part of the individual's own desire.

Yeah, I don't know how they put up with it. I'm glad it's back on air though, since I wasn't familiar with it during its time on the ABC.

Not saying it's theatre per se, just that it weaves the music with stage/entertainment qualities I'm not entirely into. I guess they go with that sort of music, though. As for ZooTV, I thought Mirrorball Man was fucking genius. MacPhisto had his moments but was milked too much - did we really need those longwinded speeches? Better than longwinded One speeches, but still too much for a rock show.

Yeah, I don't know how they put up with it. I'm glad it's back on air though, since I wasn't familiar with it during its time on the ABC.

Not saying it's theatre per se, just that it weaves the music with stage/entertainment qualities I'm not entirely into. I guess they go with that sort of music, though. As for ZooTV, I thought Mirrorball Man was fucking genius. MacPhisto had his moments but was milked too much - did we really need those longwinded speeches? Better than longwinded One speeches, but still too much for a rock show.

Yeah, it's certainly cool having it back. Good nostalgia, and the show actually does seem to be funnier than most other Australian TV at the moment. Not that that would be hard at all, of course. But nonetheless!

Of course, how the music matches with such performances is a big thing. Even Jagger is going to act different depending on the mood of the song. I wonder if he'd do the same stuff if he wrote a death metal track. We'll have to find out!

Mirrorball Man I had the least qualms with. Some degree of cleverness there, but mostly just groaning. Louder as the tour progressed. The Fly's accent was just confusing. Hard to believe Zoo was my favourite era for so long.

well, I reckon it was just a brief drive-by. Woke up late and got things to do. See you later. :wave:

Yeah, it's certainly cool having it back. Good nostalgia, and the show actually does seem to be funnier than most other Australian TV at the moment. Not that that would be hard at all, of course. But nonetheless!

Of course, how the music matches with such performances is a big thing. Even Jagger is going to act different depending on the mood of the song. I wonder if he'd do the same stuff if he wrote a death metal track. We'll have to find out!

Mirrorball Man I had the least qualms with. Some degree of cleverness there, but mostly just groaning. Louder as the tour progressed. The Fly's accent was just confusing. Hard to believe Zoo was my favourite era for so long.

Yeah, Aussie TV is the fucking pits right now. Just about the only good stuff on is whatever the ABC and SBS care to import from Britain, e.g. Top Gear.

Haha, I'd pay to see Jagger do death metal. Or something really ambient. Either would be classic.

Mirrorball Man worked perfectly for Desire and calling the President. Beyond that ... meh. Funny how the best parts of the show were those where the personas buggered off, like Bullet.

Heh, just the sore throat. Think I'll have another orange juice and hop to bed. In fact, I might get that started right now...

Oh right. I've never really tried painkillers for a sore throat though. I just end up using the spray or something for it, not that it helps much.

Zoso and Robber Soul? The only thing I would add to that is The Jimi Hendrix Experience's "Are You Experienced?"

I'll add Jimi to the list.

Uhhhhhh, Pearl Jam Ten, Guns N Roses Appetite For Destruction, R.E.M. Automatic For the People

?

The first and last there are on my list, but I'm doing R.E.M. in order and haven't gotten that far. I think the next one's going to be Lifes Rich Pageant.

Delete them both and download Zen Arcade by Husker Du and Nowhere by Ride instead.

The latter I already have, and enjoyed. Will add Husker Du.

You don't actually have to delete any albums, Pfan. That was just an Ax-esque twist of the arm. But if you don't have them already and are after slightly earlier classics, go for Love's Forever Changes, Beach Boys' Pet Sounds and Sunflower/Surf's Up and Curtis Mayfield's Curtis. And I envy you, knowing that you will be enjoying such great music for the first time, even if it doesn't quite tickle your fancy.

Beach Boys? I've heard about this album, but in my experience their sound is redundant.

Oh right. I've never really tried painkillers for a sore throat though. I just end up using the spray or something for it, not that it helps much.

It's worked for me before, so I'm trying it again tonight. I don't have any spray at the moment, although generally that relieves it to some extent. If I still feel crummy tomorrow I'll grab some.

O God, why do you strike me down with illness on the week's end?!

It's worked for me before, so I'm trying it again tonight. I don't have any spray at the moment, although generally that relieves it to some extent. If I still feel crummy tomorrow I'll grab some.

O God, why do you strike me down with illness on the week's end?!

The only time I've ever noticed it work was when I took some for a headache and it got rid of the slight soreness. But I've never tried for the sole purpose of getting rid of a nasty sore throat. I hope you feel better soon! :hug:

Beach Boys? I've heard about this album, but in my experience their sound is redundant.

You'll think that if you've only heard their early-mid 60s surf related jams and the brilliant but overexposed Wouldn't It Be Nice and Good Vibrations. There's a lot more to them than that. For one thing, they are better than the Beatles because they could actually sing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom