Christmas Time (Don't Let The Bells End) you Communist Sun God Worshippers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
And i still got to wrap the zillion pressies i've got Jamie :crack:

we're taking bets on how many boxes he'll play with rather than the toy :lol:

The other day Jamie said to my sister "Mummy I want Santie to bring me a big Telly to play my Wii on" ,

He's 3 1/2 and asking for a big screen TV :lmao:

:wave: Hey Justin

So, I've been reading a lot out of this book called Empire of Dirt: The Aesthetics and Rituals of British Indie Music for my directed study next semester, and it's so interesting to read how similar and how completely different the British and American indie communities are at the same time. :lol:

...and the author uses the most bizarre, yet fitting comparison of indie ethics and rituals to a mix of Puritanism and Romanticism. :hyper:

To be honest Cassie, I have no understanding of indie music scenes. :wink:

:lol: Not a problem. I will try to explain the best I can...cause I'm most interested in the Puritanism/Romanticism in it, which I think you can discuss perfectly well. :wink:

So, basically, because indie scenes tend to use independent sources of distribution, she's seeing a Puritan distrust of authority. A good portion of indie scenes also include fairly literate lyrics, requiring and emphasizing education within the scene, also a Puritan value.

Then, within indie communities, there is usually allowance for growth in emotion and passion in the artists' music, a very Romantic (musically) trait. There is also a respect for local scenes and identities, something that definitely occurred during the Romantic era across Germany, Russia, and Italy.

Follow me so far? :wink: And, of course, if you don't really care to talk about it at all, by all means, let me know. :)

:lol: Not a problem. I will try to explain the best I can...cause I'm most interested in the Puritanism/Romanticism in it, which I think you can discuss perfectly well. :wink:

So, basically, because indie scenes tend to use independent sources of distribution, she's seeing a Puritan distrust of authority. A good portion of indie scenes also include fairly literate lyrics, requiring and emphasizing education within the scene, also a Puritan value.

Then, within indie communities, there is usually allowance for growth in emotion and passion in the artists' music, a very Romantic (musically) trait. There is also a respect for local scenes and identities, something that definitely occurred during the Romantic era across Germany, Russia, and Italy.

Follow me so far? :wink: And, of course, if you don't really care to talk about it at all, by all means, let me know. :)

Go on, it's interesting. :)

Go on, it's interesting. :)

:up:

Probably the value within the indie community is authenticity or the purity of the music being played or performed. When put into a live context, this transforms into a focus on the purity of the live experience of the music. Through the systems of authenticity that are known within the community, people are always striving to recognize music as purely as possible, which is a very Puritan value.

Then the simplicity of style, which, for both performers and audience members, consists of t-shirts and jeans, and the simplicity in production on record (see the lo-fi and grunge movements) by using four or eight-track recordings also points towards a Puritan value of simplistic living.

On the Romantic side, indie tends to value organic or natural recordings quite often (see Bon Iver :wink: ), which was one of the pillars of the Romantic era, seeing the growth of an organism within a piece. In a good portion of indie lyrics, there is some form of introspection, which the Romantics, especially Beethoven were famous for.

And, that's what I've got so far...:wink:

That's very interesting. :up: Are you going to write books like this in the future? :wink:

I can only hope that I'll be lucky enough to get a book like this published in the future. :up: :wink:

I'd love to do something like this though, just have a huge amount of space to really dive into a topic. :yes:

The 20 page paper I write next semester will just be the tip of the iceberg for me with this topic, I think. :lol:

I can only hope that I'll be lucky enough to get a book like this published in the future. :up: :wink:

I'd love to do something like this though, just have a huge amount of space to really dive into a topic. :yes:

The 20 page paper I write next semester will just be the tip of the iceberg for me with this topic, I think. :lol:

I can see it now:

"Bon Iver: The Obsession Begins"
"The Unicorn Song: The Masterpeice, The Myth and The Musical Miracle"
"The Flaming Lips: Please Get Me Started"

:wink:

I can see it now:

"Bon Iver: The Obsession Begins"
"The Unicorn Song: The Masterpeice, The Myth and The Musical Miracle"
"The Flaming Lips: Please Get Me Started"

:wink:

:lol:

As it turns out, I've already written about the Flaming Lips for two large papers in separate classes. :wink:

I think the Bon Iver story would make an interesting study of isolation and authenticity in an album. :hmm: I see an example brewing for my paper already. :wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom