Chipping Sodbury, England Superthread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I used to, the last time in which I actually used the store was around last Christmas. Despite that, I still like to visit the store sometimes just to preview music to decide if I want to get it or not.

I was making a sarcastic reference to another silly B&C debate. :tongue:

I've nothing against downloading from iTunes myself. I'm just a stinge.

Axver said:
No, I haven't used either of those. I may hop on MSN if I get bored ... or yeah, just here. Really, it'll depend how shonky the Internet is that I have. I think the hotel I'm staying at in Wellington has fairly pissweak plans, so I may find myself offline, just reading and listening to music. Which isn't such a bad way to pass an evening I suppose!

As for recs, I'm really after anything. I'm just fleshing out what's on my external hard drive so that no matter what mood I find myself in, I'll have somewhere to turn. That said, I was looking at my ratings on RYM and it occurs to me that they really are very strongly skewed to recent years. Like I've got pages and pages of ratings for the last five years, but struggle to have even two pages for many years in the 1980s and 1990s. Even though those two decades have served me well! What should I get around to?

I gotcha. Usually hotels are good for free speedy interwebz, but maybe that's just here.

Damn it! Thanks for the reminder that I forgot to get my music lists off the computer while Ben was here. Hang on, let me see if I can't boot Travis computer up long enough to fetch them.

I gotcha. Usually hotels are good for free speedy interwebz, but maybe that's just here.

Damn it! Thanks for the reminder that I forgot to get my music lists off the computer while Ben was here. Hang on, let me see if I can't boot Travis computer up long enough to fetch them.

Definitely just there. Australian and New Zealand hotels charge utterly exorbitant prices for Internet access; it's something that I think really needs to be regulated and controlled, because it's totally taking advantage of people who NEED the Internet for their work and will shell out whatever's asked. Business hotels can often be the worst. I've been at hotels that have charged $6/hour or $15/24 hours. I now have my own mobile SIM card to access the Internet when I'm on holiday in Australia to dodge ridiculous hotel rates, but that's no good to me in New Zealand.

Ah damn! I think I'm more after heavier stuff, and anything that may be as staggeringly well-written as Crowded House, but don't let that constrain suggestions. I went through 1987's top 100 on RYM after realising I don't have that much music from by birth year and downloaded a bunch of stuff that looked interesting - mainly jangle pop (in the hope it isn't jangle pop of the awful influenced-by-Morrissey/Orange Juice school).

That's ridiculous, here free Wi-Fi is a selling point because they're fighting to GET the business people to stay there.

I have so many recommendations I'd LIKE to give. So angry with myself right now, lol.

I was making a sarcastic reference to another silly B&C debate. :tongue:

I've nothing against downloading from iTunes myself. I'm just a stinge.

Oh, I just went into that thread. Laughed a little, facepalmed a little, thankfully my irrelevant-to-everything comment wasn't out of place there.

That's ridiculous, here free Wi-Fi is a selling point because they're fighting to GET the business people to stay there.

I have so many recommendations I'd LIKE to give. So angry with myself right now, lol.

Maybe if we're lucky, we'll catch up with that in ten years. :crack: It's only been in the last four or so years that it's become normal to find wireless Internet access at accommodation - when I followed PT around Australia in 2008, the shitty place I stayed at in Sydney had no Internet, and in 2007, I stayed at a motel in Nelson, New Zealand that only had dial-up. Part of it is just that the Internet is so much more expensive here due to a few factors, but the main two being the sheer distance from the rest of the world (oceanic cables don't come cheap) combined with the very low population. So hotels happily pass on the cost, and since people expect to pay a lot, they get away with a massive mark-up.

Any time in the next few days is cool, really. Just as long as I have time to download before I go on the 15th. Think I'll go back and mine Traviud's sixties list a bit.

That does make a lot of sense.

Yeah, I just get antsy about doing things when they're on my mind, lol.

Oh, I just went into that thread. Laughed a little, facepalmed a little, thankfully my irrelevant-to-everything comment wasn't out of place there.

Haha, that was good. (And LM, good work too.)

By the way, Vladders, was poking around RYM and noticed a band from Vladivostok with some quite good ratings - and not just from the Russian users. The band in question is Мумий Тролль, particularly the album Морская. Are you familiar, and if so, recommend or avoid?

Haha, that was good. (And LM, good work too.)

By the way, Vladders, was poking around RYM and noticed a band from Vladivostok with some quite good ratings - and not just from the Russian users. The band in question is Мумий Тролль, particularly the album Морская. Are you familiar, and if so, recommend or avoid?

RECOMMEND RECOMMEND RECOMMEND. :hyper:

They are brilliant. I love them. /somewhat fanboy

well, I'm going to get stabbed for the post I made in Cobbler's thread.

COME AT ME, BRO.

Music recommends for Axver? :hmm: The Buckling Of Hopes And Dreams by Inhale, De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas by Mayhem, and God Bless The Electric Freak by Turn Me On Dead Man. All three I have and am willing to share.

I don't think you quite got the point of the thread. Obviously most of us don't listen to most of the bands you posted. I think the idea was more along the lines of what Interference popular bands do you not "get".

Having said that, I'm not sure if you would like them. They describe themselves as a "rockapops" band, as there was much debate as to whether they were a pop or a rock band. Typically, their music ranges from pop to rock to more experimental music and they are very quirky.

As for Morskaya, I reckon it's a good album but Ikra or 8 would have to be my favourites at this point of time.

A few examples ...

Fantastika — Mumiy Troll - YouTube

Privatizatsiya — Mumiy Troll - YouTube

RECOMMEND RECOMMEND RECOMMEND. :hyper:

They are brilliant. I love them. /somewhat fanboy

Sweet, I'll give them a go then. What does the name translate to?

Морская comes in at #37 on RYM's charts for 1997, so that's a pretty good showing.

Music recommends for Axver? :hmm: The Buckling Of Hopes And Dreams by Inhale, De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas by Mayhem, and God Bless The Electric Freak by Turn Me On Dead Man. All three I have and am willing to share.

I have De Mysteriis, but the other two I haven't heard of. Not going to say no to giving them a go! RYM says the last one is psychedelic or stoner rock? Sweet.

Ax, is these any kind of new wave you do like?

Not sure ... kind of depends what definition you use, and how much crossover into post-punk you allow. What kind of bands are you thinking of?

Sweet, I'll give them a go then. What does the name translate to?

Морская comes in at #37 on RYM's charts for 1997, so that's a pretty good showing.

It pretty much means 'Nautical'. I like Morskaya quite a bit myself, but I prefer Ikra (from the same year IIRC) and 8 (from 2008). If you like Morskaya then I recommend you try those two.

Haha, I just voted against 10-1 being new wave and that was enough to tip the scales against it. So now it doesn't appear in the link I just posted.

How The hell did you do that? I've been trying to get RYM to do that for me for ages.

Assuming you haven't changed the order that the different sections appear on your RYM userpage, look between the "other comments" and "music" fields. It will say "Search bono_212's music for [blank field] in [drop-down options menu]". Drop down the menu and select genre, then type your desired genre. As long as it's a genre acknowledged on RYM, you're good to go.

Upon further thinking, Ax, I would be surprised if you liked the album.

Upon further thinking, Ax, I would be surprised if you liked the album.

I'm full of surprises though, so we'll see how I go! Or do you think a different album is a better starting place?

(And hey, if the lyrics suck, I won't be able to tell. :wink: )

I'm full of surprises though, so we'll see how I go! Or do you think a different album is a better starting place?

(And hey, if the lyrics suck, I won't be able to tell. :wink: )

I really wouldn't have a clue on which album to start with, I'm hopeless with deciding on what album's a good starting point. :lol:

But it'd be interesting to hear your thoughts on it, very.

So Ax, do you want me to upload those other two albums for you before I hit the sack tonight? Neither of them are on iTunes, I don't think. Inhale, for sure, isn't.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom