Chipping Sodbury, England Superthread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
A friend of mine and I went to see Napoleon Dynamite for the first time at the dollar theatre. We went through the characters and named people we knew in real life who were basically those characters. Instead of making the movie funnier, it ended up making it a little bit depressing. Haven't watched it since. :shrug:

Multi-quote mayhem!

Really?

That's an album I just can't get into. I like, but do not love it.

Me too, to an extent. DSOTM is probably #4 or #5 in my PF rankings. Animals and Wish You Were Here are easily my two favourites.

What do you guys think of Napoleon Dynamite?

Alright, I'm going to get slagged for this, I'm sure. But oh my god, the trailers and previews make that look like the stupidest film ever. The recent ads on Ten for it just reminded me of how annoying it was when it came out and was everywhere. So no, I've never seen it.

Charlotte, who has seen it and probably knows my taste best of anybody, reckons that I'd hate it all the same if I actually sat down and saw it, so there's that.

sry 2 b Con Trarrien

For what it's worth, my favourite album of all time is a tie between Achtung Baby and The Holy Bible.

Judgement by Anathema for me. Then PT's Stupid Dream, and UF in third. After that? No bloody idea. All attempts to make rankings fail spectacularly.

Check out numbers' new av. jesus christ. :lol:

... oh dear. :laugh:

Axver, I have mentioned Robyn Hitchcock's song I Often Dream of Trains (as well as Trams of Old London) to you in the past, largely as a joke. But, upon listening to this for a third time in the past 6 months, I'm positive that you need to hear the entire album the song was named after. It's so spry, weird, off-beat, sparklingly produced and witty that its ideology could make it one of your all-time favorites, if not not necessarily the genres it takes on (folk, psychedelia, a lot of stripped-down songwriting in general). Fucking hilarious album, although vaguely creepy in some spots. It's preoccupied with mental abnormalities and social commentary as much as love and relationships.

Yeah, you reckon? I listened to Propellor Time last year and it blew, but I remember listening to I Often Dream Of Trains and Trams Of Old London and liking them a bit more. Can give it a go. The title bodes well!

I'm going to assume that's sarcasm.

I keep trying to start a top twenty albums list on RYM but after I put in my top three, I just cannot make myself happy with an order. Or whether or not to allow a band to appear multiple times.

No sarcasm at all. You've always just seemed mildly attracted to the album, not heads over heels in love. I guess my powers of observation aren't quite so powerful.

Wait, really? I thought you knew the story about when I first heard it?

In fact, Judgement is pretty much the reason I'm obsessive about finding new bands and albums to love. I'm like a junkie seeking to get that first high again, in some respects. When I first heard it in early 2006 (February?) ... holy shit, just from the first notes of Deep, I knew I loved it. It blew me away. I listened to nothing else for the next 24 or 48 hours. I even set up my computer's speakers so that I could hear it reasonably well when I had a shower.

A few albums since then have come close to that initial rush (I first heard Agalloch's Pale Folklore around the same time, Alcest's debut did it in 2007, Whipping Boy's Heartworm did it early last year), but nothing has quite replicated it. It may be the only album I have where I love very single track.

I often push it less than other albums I like because it means so much to me and I KNOW that nobody else is going to experience quite the same rush or connection that I did. That was one of those truly special, completely unexpected music moments that you can never expect or hope somebody else might share with you. But I've been saying it's my favourite album of all time for quite a while ... I don't recall when I stopped considering it equal with Stupid Dream and ranked it clearly ahead, but that was a long time ago now, maybe early 2009? I'm not sure.

Also, I picked up on Traviud's mention of Silver Apples and listened to their self-titled. Talk about ahead of its time.

Wow, Ax, awesome story made all the better since I also love the album, though not nearly as much.

I KNEW someone liked Whipping Boy that I knew. IN YOUR FACE, Travis.

I've even used Whipping Boy songs in my last two DI lists (Users and Safari)! Fail, Traviud. :lol:

Well we had grand plans and I'm pretty pissed off because I'm not really supposed to be organising it and the groomsmen its fallen on have done shit all.

Last year we planned on going up to the Gold Coast for a weekend possibly to watch Pies V Gold Coast...too far away from the wedding (as it was in July)...Then we though go up around the time of the V8's (not that any of us are really car people, but would have been a great atmosphere) Which at the time sounded awesome. But then the excuses came thick and fast. (some were legit, like not being able to organise time off work) ect ect.

Then decided on doing something in Melbourne, Go Karts in the afternoon, Out to dinner, Video Game bar for a few hours and then hit the town properly.

That since has fallen through, and it looks like we are just hanging in shepp. I might pop in the PopMart DVD into dads cinema room and turn the volume up to 12 :laugh:

He said he didn't even know who they were :tsk:

I was honestly just a little disappointed that despite all the nice feedback I got on my last DI, nobody said anything about Users, because I adore that song.

But then that means nobody said anything bad about it, so there's that side of things. :lol:

Heartworm is definitely the pick of their albums. I'm not that taken with their self-titled third album, and Submarine's very good for heavy shoegaze - so if you're right in the mood for that, begin with it, but in general, Heartworm's the way to go. All three are quite distinctly different.

Submarine gets close to being noise rock at times - it has a musical heaviness that is pretty much absent from their two later albums. There's not that much else shoegaze out there that sounds like it. That said, as best I can tell, it doesn't quite have the socio-political, almost sociopathic, occasionally mentally imbalanced lyrics that make Heartworm so compelling.

(And if you want heavy shoegaze, have you listened to the debut by The Telescopes? Fuck me, that's intense.)

I don't know if you'll necessarily like The Telescopes (the album in question is called Taste), but I haven't heard any shoegaze as heavy or outright angry as that. If it gives you any idea, they have songs with titles like I Fall, She Screams and Oil Seed Rape.

So, I'm off to New Zealand next week. I'll be on my own for the first nine days doing work while Charlotte finishes her exams ... and of course, my conference is in a shitty city (Hamilton) where I know NOBODY and the research institution I'm then visiting is in Wellington, where the only people I know are either family or I've long since lost touch with them. Consequently, I've gone on a downloading binge so that if I get bored of an evening, I'll have heaps of new music to choose from no matter what my mood - and I won't get caught out by insanely over-priced hotel Internet with pathetic download allowances. So I'm open to any suggestions of what to add to this binge.

tl;dr: rec me musix.

Or: who uses iTunes today, anyway? I'm going to post a condescending comment in a Coldplay thread to make everybody argue and then I'll reply in such a poorly articulated manner that no matter what I say, it will come off as daft/dfit.

Do you use Google Talk or Facebook messenger? We should definitely chat it up while you're away so you don't get too lonely :p

Though we could always bomb the superthread as well.

ALBUM RECOMMENDATIONS :panic:. What are you in the mood for these days?

Judgement by Anathema for me. Then PT's Stupid Dream, and UF in third. After that? No bloody idea. All attempts to make rankings fail spectacularly.

Like you, I'm unable to rank any of the albums that I love after that. So I just prefer to have an imaginary "Albums Vlad worships" list.

Or: who uses iTunes today, anyway? I'm going to post a condescending comment in a Coldplay thread to make everybody argue and then I'll reply in such a poorly articulated manner that no matter what I say, it will come off as daft/dfit.

I used to, the last time in which I actually used the store was around last Christmas. Despite that, I still like to visit the store sometimes just to preview music to decide if I want to get it or not.

Do you use Google Talk or Facebook messenger? We should definitely chat it up while you're away so you don't get too lonely :p

Though we could always bomb the superthread as well.

ALBUM RECOMMENDATIONS :panic:. What are you in the mood for these days?

No, I haven't used either of those. I may hop on MSN if I get bored ... or yeah, just here. Really, it'll depend how shonky the Internet is that I have. I think the hotel I'm staying at in Wellington has fairly pissweak plans, so I may find myself offline, just reading and listening to music. Which isn't such a bad way to pass an evening I suppose!

As for recs, I'm really after anything. I'm just fleshing out what's on my external hard drive so that no matter what mood I find myself in, I'll have somewhere to turn. That said, I was looking at my ratings on RYM and it occurs to me that they really are very strongly skewed to recent years. Like I've got pages and pages of ratings for the last five years, but struggle to have even two pages for many years in the 1980s and 1990s. Even though those two decades have served me well! What should I get around to?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom