Chipping Sodbury, England Superthread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Because I thought the song was pretty amazing. I see them listed as "dubstep", but what IS Dubstep really? These guys have awesome Vangelis synths and some awesome drums. Damn fine beat, and I enjoyed it a great deal, so I figured I'd share.

I was just reading an interesting article on what dubstep is, and honestly, at this point, almost everyone's doing dub-step. What I view to be dubstep, however, I didn't hear in that song, at least. I'll be checking the album out tomorrow, but for now, I'm in love.

Spent 10 minutes looking through Axver's RYM ratings > tempted to join.

You should. Everybody should. Good times and musical discoveries await.

You've already heard All My Friends and Someone Great and didn't care for them, so there's no point in hearing Sound of Silver first. The debut is my favorite but gets bogged down in remixes on the second disc.

Yeah, This Is Happening first for you.

Haha, point taken.

Ax, seeing as you liked Morskaya, I would recommend you Сплин's Фонарь под глазом from the same year. Excellent mix of Russian folky goodness and a dark, depressing atmosphere.

Righto, sounds promising. RYM rates it quite well too - though it reserves the best score for 25 кадр from 2001.

Yeah, I have no idea what kind of problem you could have with these guys. They're like a heavier Kylie minogue. Loving it.

The Strokes' Is This It is not half what it's hyped to be.

But then I had a serious music revelation just before listening - a revelation that won't make much sense to anybody except possibly Charlotte - so that might've coloured my impression of things.

... OK, so the revelation is that one of my favourite Headless Chickens songs, Inside Track, is actually a cover by a very obscure Auckland band. But it's all the context in which I made that discovery. I was listening to the Headless Chooks' 1994 EP Cruise Control, which ends with Inside Track. Then I went down to play Is This It, and noticed a two-track single by the Stridulators from 1984 immediately before it, alphabetically. "What's this, an obscure Kiwi single I downloaded sometime and never listened to? OK, let's spin that first, then Is This It." I didn't quite register the title of The Inside Track, but as soon as the lyrics began, I realised what I was listening to. Holy shit!

Nothing on Is This It even got close to evoking a reaction like that from me.

Hey Danny, you seen that they've downsized the BDO in Perth, Adelaide, and Auckland - and cut Kanye from those three as a consequence?

Do they actually want to kill off the festival in those cities or something?

Yeah I did see that. I would immediately sell my ticket if that happened in Melbourne. I'm not surprised they haven't been selling though, it's a pretty crap lineup.

I somehow passed an unbelievably convoluted online unit. Further proof that doing no work (I did the absolute bare minimum and did no full reading) is enough to pass. In the final assignment, which required us to read 15 scholarly articles and comment on how they relate to some bullshit theoretical paradigms (I read the abstracts for each, didn't read any of them in full) I got 99/150, and at least 7 for every article. Marker said "you have demonstrated very good research skills in selecting very good sources for inclusion".

God I'm good :D :D :D

You should. Everybody should. Good times and musical discoveries await.

Righto, sounds promising. RYM rates it quite well too - though it reserves the best score for 25 кадр from 2001.

I will be rating the shit out of everything I have when I get it, most likely on the weekend.

Interestingly enough, 25 Kadr doesn't rate in my top half of Splean albums, it has a good number of cracking tracks but I've never been able to get into them so the high scoring does baffle a bit. My two favourites ahead of Fonar' pod glazom would be Reversivnaya Hronika Sobytiy (Reversed Chronicle of Events) and Kollektioner Oruzhia (Arms Collector). /stop ramble

As a tutor, it just depresses me how little people can do and we're still required to let them scrape by. The requirements that are to be met in some of the Arts are usually so dismally terrible that they're barely meaningful. I'd love somebody to come in and give it a huge shake-up. At least in some other disciplines there are more tangible, significant requirements that require some effort to attain.

In saying this, it's not as if I never bluffed my way through some stupid course and got "your grasp of this subject is wonderful" comments when I'd just pulled some nonsense out of my arse.

I will be rating the shit out of everything I have when I get it, most likely on the weekend.

Interestingly enough, 25 Kadr doesn't rate in my top half of Splean albums, it has a good number of cracking tracks but I've never been able to get into them so the high scoring does baffle a bit. My two favourites ahead of Fonar' pod glazom would be Reversivnaya Hronika Sobytiy (Reversed Chronicle of Events) and Kollektioner Oruzhia (Arms Collector). /stop ramble

Add me whenever you do join.

Hah, what do you know. Also noticed today that an album by Гражданская Оборона called Солнцеворот is #10 on RYM's all-time shoegaze chart. Tried to find it for download but had no luck.

Also discovering that I've pretty much forgotten Cyrillic. :(

Saw an Andrew Bolt article posted in FYM, everyone's gunna die ...

I wouldn't post an Andrew Bolt article on a scummy public loo's toilet roll holder. The scummy public loo deserves better.

Also, there was a hilarious article in The Age/SMH a few weeks ago by an ex-fiancee of Andrew Bolt's.

Add me whenever you do join.

Hah, what do you know. Also noticed today that an album by Гражданская Оборона called Солнцеворот is #10 on RYM's all-time shoegaze chart. Tried to find it for download but had no luck.

Also discovering that I've pretty much forgotten Cyrillic. :(

I've heard of the band before, but not any of their music. There's still much Russian/Eastern Europe music for me to discover, thankfully.

It's never too late to re-learn Cyrillic!

I wouldn't post an Andrew Bolt article on a scummy public loo's toilet roll holder. The scummy public loo deserves better.

Words cannot describe how much I despise him. I also dislike Alan Jones, for obvious reasons, you know, both being reactionary assholes.

I've heard of the band before, but not any of their music. There's still much Russian/Eastern Europe music for me to discover, thankfully.

It's never too late to re-learn Cyrillic!

All I can remember off the top of my head - besides the letters that are the same - is that Cyrillic P = our R and C = our S.

Not sure he's ever checked the veracity or quality of a source in his life.

AND HE'S A TEACHER.

A FUCKING TEACHER.

On many occasions, I've been tempted to say that I worry for the welfare of the children that inevitably fall under his "teaching".

Hahaha, that is so accurate. I should watch this show.

You totally should. It's on tonight. Wednesday nights are my one big TV night. Spicks & Specks repeat at 7, SBS has good docos in the 7:30-8:30 slot, then back to the ABC for new Spicks & Specks, Gruen Planet, and Hamster Wheel. :up:

On many occasions, I've been tempted to say that I worry for the welfare of the children that inevitably fall under his "teaching".

I think somebody once actually called him out using similar language, but then kind of backed down when he took offence.

You totally should. It's on tonight. Wednesday nights are my one big TV night. Spicks & Specks repeat at 7, SBS has good docos in the 7:30-8:30 slot, then back to the ABC for new Spicks & Specks, Gruen Planet, and Hamster Wheel. :up:

I think somebody once actually called him out using similar language, but then kind of backed down when he took offence.

I'll do my best to tune in. :up:

You whippersnappers! :fist: /old

God, even I knew who Heavy D was. He did "Mr Big Stuff", The In Living Color theme, the MADtv theme, and a very strange cover of Islands In The Stream.

No. Wait. That last one was PM Dawn. Don't know how I got those confused :huh:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom