Chipping Sodbury, England Superthread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
And the first song so sounds like Talking Heads ... but in Russian. I can go for that.

The first song's title apparently translates to "suddenly the trains left" ...?

Yes. I was just listening to it then and that exact thought, the connection between you and trains and the song's title, made me laugh a little. :D

And the first song so sounds like Talking Heads ... but in Russian. I can go for that.

My favourite of the album.

How much are the lyrics actually about trains?

I downloaded a copy with the song titles all translated into English, so that's cool. Up to the end of Vladivostok 2000 right now and it's pretty good, I think my favourite since the first one.

Not sure why you were so worried - if the album stays this quality all the way through, it's an easy 3.5/5. Maybe a 4 if I keep listening to it.

How much are the lyrics actually about trains?

I downloaded a copy with the song titles all translated into English, so that's cool. Up to the end of Vladivostok 2000 right now and it's pretty good, I think my favourite since the first one.

Not sure why you were so worried - if the album stays this quality all the way through, it's an easy 3.5/5. Maybe a 4 if I keep listening to it.

I think I was a bit skeptical as to if you'd like it as I wasn't really aware on what you thought about Britpop and I generally just found it a mismatch in comparison to what I know about your music tastes. But I'm happy you're enjoying the album, I feel it does get stronger towards the conclusion.

As for the song's lyrics, here's a quick Google Translate job I did.

As if suddenly drunk on the night
Forgot to disable the light
This was the light of
Lips, whispering, wine
Oh-oh-oh-oh-oh
The driver said the gray
Referring to a map of the country
Look on the bridges - s
Cigarettes, flowers
And the trains are gone
Taken to the other side
From thee far, far, far away
Lai-lai-la-la-la-lai
But let me get it all
I weave thee ready on the grass
Can the glass in the snow on the concrete floor
And if no pity for such treasures
Divide them with me or leave to look
Let the corner of my eye, a hundred years
Or even from other planets
In the telescope
Cut the wings of glass
choking noose
The plane of the star run so far, fly
Over the head of an arrow
perish for ever
Sginem suddenly into the ocean
Do not like, do not forget, is not open
Dam-dam-da-da-da-dum

You like the Talking Heads
Ax?

Sort of. Never really been taken by a full album yet (though it's been a long time since I've given one a proper listen), but I really like some songs - usually the obvious ones like Once In A Lifetime, And She Was, and Life During Wartime. Lots of nostalgic memories associated with them. When I was six, my mother painted my bedroom yellow, my favourite colour, and spent the whole time listening to Talking Heads' Best Of and Dire Straits' live EP On The Night.

I think I was a bit skeptical as to if you'd like it as I wasn't really aware on what you thought about Britpop and I generally just found it a mismatch in comparison to what I know about your music tastes. But I'm happy you're enjoying the album, I feel it does get stronger towards the conclusion.

I've honestly never listened to much Britpop outside of the big radio hits (and The Verve's Urban Hymns album, even if it's borderline). But I am of an age that I can sing every word of a shitload of Oasis songs and enjoy a wave of childhood nostalgia as I do so.

As for the song's lyrics, here's a quick Google Translate job I did.

As if suddenly drunk on the night
Forgot to disable the light
This was the light of
Lips, whispering, wine
Oh-oh-oh-oh-oh
The driver said the gray
Referring to a map of the country
Look on the bridges - s
Cigarettes, flowers
And the trains are gone
Taken to the other side
From thee far, far, far away
Lai-lai-la-la-la-lai
But let me get it all
I weave thee ready on the grass
Can the glass in the snow on the concrete floor
And if no pity for such treasures
Divide them with me or leave to look
Let the corner of my eye, a hundred years
Or even from other planets
In the telescope
Cut the wings of glass
choking noose
The plane of the star run so far, fly
Over the head of an arrow
perish for ever
Sginem suddenly into the ocean
Do not like, do not forget, is not open
Dam-dam-da-da-da-dum

The trains are gone, taken to the other side?

Shit, they're onto me.

улад, гэта дзень, позна, але шчаслівы дзень кастрычніцкай рэвалюцыі.

I've honestly never listened to much Britpop outside of the big radio hits (and The Verve's Urban Hymns album, even if it's borderline). But I am of an age that I can sing every word of a shitload of Oasis songs and enjoy a wave of childhood nostalgia as I do so.

I think I remember you saying that you had never listened to an entire Oasis album, but this was quite a while ago.

Ooh, Vremya Tepla is great.

Will finish the album later - we're off for a walk or run now, and to put up a few more "have you lost a rabbit?" posters. We're going to pop into the local schools tomorrow morning to see if we can get them to put up a notice on their noticeboards or in their weekly newsletter, since I reckon it's a damn good bet it's some family's pet.

Have you given an LCD Soundsystem ALBUM a listen, Ax? He's definitely heavily influenced by them, bell X1 as well. If you're ever feeling the need to listen to electropop, Friendly Fires first album owes a bit to them as well, IMO.

Hey, Ax. If you do have to give up the bunny, Sheldon the Wonder Cat is still available. New version: I'm a destructive little shitball.

Have you given an LCD Soundsystem ALBUM a listen, Ax? He's definitely heavily influenced by them, bell X1 as well. If you're ever feeling the need to listen to electropop, Friendly Fires first album owes a bit to them as well, IMO.

Must admit that the LCD Soundsystem songs I've heard in DI haven't really done much for me, much as I know heaps of people here love them. So no, I've never heard a full album.

Hey, Ax. If you do have to give up the bunny, Sheldon the Wonder Cat is still available. New version: I'm a destructive little shitball.

He can join the stray cat down the road that we still want to rescue.

Spent 10 minutes looking through Axver's RYM ratings > tempted to join.

Won't that make me a friggin' Cobbler, starting with the latest album rather than the "right" one? :wink:

:lol::up:

case in point - I said "what Portishead should I start with? Third?" and they said "friggin cobbler why do you always think latest = best? DUMMY!!" so i tried it and it was okay. played Third yesterday and liked it a lot more.

I didn't think there was anything wrong with you listening to third. It appears to be very highly regarded.

Axver said:
Won't that make me a friggin' Cobbler, starting with the latest album rather than the "right" one? :wink:

You've already heard All My Friends and Someone Great and didn't care for them, so there's no point in hearing Sound of Silver first. The debut is my favorite but gets bogged down in remixes on the second disc.

Yeah, This Is Happening first for you.

Ax, seeing as you liked Morskaya, I would recommend you Сплин's Фонарь под глазом from the same year. Excellent mix of Russian folky goodness and a dark, depressing atmosphere.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom