Check out the new Coen Bros. film!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
They also recently directed one of the vignettes in Paris, je t'aime. I thought that had been released long already and just hadn't been shown around here, but it's showing at a cool little independent theater sort of near me (is it sad that I have to but am willing to drive almost an hour for a non-megaplex movie?), so I may go check it out.

I've been dying to see Paris Je T'aime for a long time, but I haven't been even close to having the opportunity. I'll probalby end up seeing it on DVD unfortunately.

I read "No Country for Old Men" and it was great. From the second I heard that the Coen's were doing the film, it seemed like a perfect fit. Looking forward to it. By the way, it's a quick read from an author whose writing is typically a lot less breezy...so, think about checking the book out before seeing the film.

I thought O'Brother was good, but definitely overrated, at least compared to the rest of the Coen's catalogue. They're coming off a pretty unimpressive streak of three films now (including O'Brother, their best since Labowski) and none of them can really hold a candle to the rest of their career. No Country For Old Men seems to be a more than glorious return to form for these gents. I get more excited about it every day.

As for reading the novel. I definitely will after I see the movie. If I'm excited about a film based on a novel, I never read the novel first, because I like to experience the film with a clean slate so to speak.

Lance, I'm the complete opposite. If I see the film first, reading the book becomes an impossibility, or at best, a struggle, simply because I now have the actors in my head, instead of what the description/my imagination conjure up. Glad, though, that you are excited about the film and I agree that this material should help the Coen's return to form. I'm with you on O'Brother...good film, enjoyed it, but pales when compared with stronger Coen work.

Truth be told, I always say stuff like that, but once I finally see the movie, one of two things happens.

I'm either disappointed with the film and then don't even care enough to read the novel.

Or I'm so in love with the film that I don't want to read the novel for fear of it lessening my enjoyment of the movie.

But regardless, all this hype over the McCarthy will probably entice me to read some of his work, if not No Country first.

I loved O Brother. Not a dull moment, imo. The Coen's are definitely worth keeping an eye on.

Hot damn, it's the Soggy Bottom Boys! :wink:

Loved Raising Arizona, but wasn't as crazy about Fargo as most people I know. Lebowski, Barton :drool:

Their work is always worth checking out. :up:

Fargo, Arizona and Lebowski rule, Brother is okay, and what was the one with the businessmen in NYC? That turned out cool.

Hudsucker's been on HBO non-stop for the past 2 months, I end up watching it every time.

Maybe the only movie where I've liked Tim Robbins other than Shawshank :up:

I'm looking forward to seeing it, especially since it was filmed in and around two towns I know intimately and will no doubt recognize some extras in the background, as well as one or two locals who were given speaking roles during shooting in Marfa, TX. I saw some of the actors a few times around town, too--Javier Bardem in Starbucks wearing a Bruce Springsteen t-shirt and Tommy Lee Jones in the cheese dept at Whole Foods. :D: I stared at the t-shirt a long time before I looked up and realized I was staring at Bardem, and he was staring at me staring at him. I left quickly after that. :reject:

Back
Top Bottom