Celebrity Rehab w/ Dr. Drew

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

EdgeIsTooSexy

ONE love, blood, life
Anybody actually watching this?
I saw it today b/c I love Jeff Conaway in Grease.

I'm watching too, for the same reason you mentioned EdgeIsTooSexy. I can barely watch Jeff Conaway. I watched "Grease" last night, and as soon as I popped the DVD out, Celebrity Rehab came on. It's unbearably sad to see someone so talented, or anyone for that matter, go through such hell. Seeing the 2 back-to-back last night was really sobering, no pun intended. It was heart-breaking.:sad:

U2democrat said:
Pardon the pun, but I'm addicted to this show.

It's actually very frightening. If they want to keep kids off drugs and alcohol, make them watch this show.

definitely. and may I say i still love your avatar so much lol.

yeah U2isbest, its heart-wrenching to watch it. I feel so bad everytime I see him on the show. I really hope he sticks it out and gets better.

I thought that when Temptation Island aired, that we'd reached a new low point for TV, and I stand by that...however, that has now been eclipsed by this program. Just the absolute worst. "Celebrity" rehab, good lord.

VH1 makes me sick, in so many different ways.

I just kind of stumbled upon this show and couldn't switch the channel. I loved Jeff Conaway from back in his Taxi days. From that to what he portrays in this show, OMG he is so far gone. It's hard to make out what he is saying most times. There is something riveting about the show though. I think Dr Drew is great and is doing great work with young people and celebrities.

I also agree with U2dem that all young people should be forced to watch this show.

I like Intervention. And this show could almost be what you DON'T see on Intervention - actual rehab. Except, you know, with celebrities.

I've only seen one episode of the Dr. Drew show and don't think I'll keep watching, but I think while the draw-in is yet another celebrity voyeurism exhibit, I think the show has a lot more substance than you might think. I think the title, premise and previews might be misleading to what this show actually is, and that's a shame.

I'm sure there'll be some stupid shenanigans and they'll show drama in the previews because let's face it, VH1 is stuck on this "celeb reality" thing, but I think that's not giving the show a fair shake.

I think it's going to give addiction the real treatment, not just a showcase for another bunch of celebrities acting like jackasses.

Even just the first episode was pretty horrific. Jeff Conaway is now the new poster boy for "Hey kids, don't do drugs."

Eh, I could be wrong. It could be just another dumbass celebrity show that the channel masquerading as a music channel is parading around.

I like Dr. Drew, though. I think he does good work.

Last edited:
Yeah I've caught some of the Intervention shows also. Those shows seem more real because they are everyday people and not celebs like those on Celeb Rehab (doh!). All in all these are people who are really messed up, who have talents and families and people who care enough about them to get help for them. Very sad if they mess up and can't get that help for themselves. Addiction is an evil disease.

The difference between Intervention and Celebrity Rehab is obvious. While Intervention flirts with exploitation, Celebrity Rehab has married it. I see nothing genuine about Celebrity Rehab except that we get to follow "celebs" into places we shouldn't even follow. Shame on us who watch it, shame on VH1 who airs it, but the real shame belongs to the celebrities who allow themselves to be exploited. Who needs paparazzi when they are so willing do it for free?

I still dunno ... if people have interest in watching the show because it's about celebrities, and at least one person sees (what I assume will be) the harsh reality of addiction and rehab and stops them from going down some sort of bad-news path, would that make it less exploitative?

I guess maybe I'm giving it a big benefit of the doubt that it's not as disgustingly exploitative as it appears on the surface.

PlaTheGreat said:
The difference between Intervention and Celebrity Rehab is obvious. While Intervention flirts with exploitation, Celebrity Rehab has married it. I see nothing genuine about Celebrity Rehab except that we get to follow "celebs" into places we shouldn't even follow. Shame on us who watch it, shame on VH1 who airs it, but the real shame belongs to the celebrities who allow themselves to be exploited. Who needs paparazzi when they are so willing do it for free?

:yes: :yes: :yes:

It's a fucking abomination.

PlaTheGreat said:

It's all about addiction and I don't believe about exploitation. If people don't want to watch for wahtever reason, change your TV channel. If the shows can send a message to any viewers who want to deal with their addiction then they've done something good for society. It WILL happen. Some think of it as exploitation, others as simply getting a message out to the masses. Bottom line, if the shows help others, good for them.

Back
Top Bottom