Canadian Wins World Rock, Paper, Scissors Championship

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Headache in a Suitcase

Site Team
Staff member
With the other morally corrupt bootlicking rubes.
TORONTO (Reuters) - The competitors, in glitzy, off-the-wall costumes, call themselves professional athletes. Some even bring along team doctors to supervise their nutrition and take them through intense warmups.

This, it seems, is serious stuff to the 320 competitors who shook their fists early into Sunday morning at the World Rock, Paper, Scissors Championships at a nightclub in downtown Toronto.

The man who did win -- and netted himself a purse of C$5,000 ($3,825) -- was Toronto's Rob Krueger, a member of the team "Legion of the Red Fist."

To achieve the lofty title of World RPS Champion, he threw a combination of rock-paper-paper, defeating his opponent's offering of three rocks.

Treading a thin line between silly spectacle and serious sport, the event drew a crowd of about 900, including many bemused spectators who wandered, with drinks in hand, among a slew of local and international media.

Andy Cumming, 28, flew to Canada from London with five other members of the United Kingdom team, as well as their team doctor who counsels them on warmups, diet and practice.

"It's an internationally played game, you know," he said, wearing a pair of worker's coveralls with the red, white and blue of the Union Jack patterned on it.

"It's a complete travesty that not many people take it seriously."

To the uninitiated, taking the playground game seriously is something of a tall order. Many competitors wore crude, homemade costumes, and played with a can of beer in their non-throwing hand.

Douglas Walker, managing director of the Toronto-based, 700-member World RPS Society, is a little more realistic about the so-called sport he promotes.

"We take rock, paper, scissors about as seriously as you take something like rock, paper, scissors. We have a lot of fun with the concept."

http://www.worldrps.com/

Canadian%20Flag.JPG

Headache in a Suitcase said:
what isn't mentioned in this article is that the coach of the "legion of the red fist" is actually our very own cujo

Really? Last I heard, he'd only mastered paper. I cant believe he learned rock and scissors so fast! What an inspiration!

NO!!!!!!!!!!!! :scream:

I was just reading about the UK team. It was the first year that the UK had a team there. :sad:

*sadly waves flag of country she doesn't even belong to

Ananova:

UK to do battle with scissors, paper and stone

The UK's scissors, paper, stone team is preparing to do battle as the game's world championships kick off in Canada.

The five team members will face more than 1,000 rivals in the playground game - officially called Rock, Paper, Scissors - for the largest purse in professional RPS history, ?3,400.

Magician Derren Brown, who once unfailingly predicted an opponent's throws on his TV show, has already given the squad his backing as they prepare to go hand to hand in the knockout in Toronto. It is the first time in the championship's two-year history that the UK has fielded a team.

Team captain James Lawson says he hopes the British public will get behind the team "in a big way".

"After all, our chosen sport has all the intensity, drama and excitement of a Rugby World Cup and the team I've put together is determined to carry the trophy home."

Mr Lawson added that RPS is a skill-based game with two halves to it.

"First there's the physical side, actually getting the throws out, and on the other side is the psychological game," he said.

"It's about working out what your opponent is going to throw by doing things like looking for signs on their face."

Championships organiser Graham Walker says he is delighted the UK team will be competing.

"It's evidence of the growing international appeal of RPS as a sport, which has been used in various forms over the millennia to resolve disputes and test an opponent's reactions and dexterity," he said. "A game of chance it's not."

The UK team, who are all based in London, also includes Rob Roscoe, Andrew Cumming, Will Blackwell and Dougal Kerr. They are all aged 27, with the exception of Mr Cumming, who is 28, and are all English apart from Scottish Mr Kerr.

Story filed: 08:00 Saturday 25th October 2003

there are weird things in every country if you turn over stones and search enough. I've never known this was such a serious sport

:huh:

nbcrusader said:
Is this something you do when your curling career is over, or do you specifically train for it from a young age?

In the long frigid winters you have lots of time to exercise dexterity.

Red Fist :up:

I dare anyone to challenge my wrist.

Back
Top Bottom