Cameron Crowe's Next Movie

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I was in Louisville, Kentucky where they did a lot of the filming for Elizabethtown last year. So the Courier-Journal (L'ville's paper) would have reports of what was going on. They even had a casting call for extras but I didn't go.

If case you didn't know, Elizabethtown is south of Louisville about 30 miles on I-65.

I have high expectations for this film.

On a side note, my sister and I were in downtown Louisville last year and we passed one of the Gallopolooza horses (don't ask, you can if you want though) and Cameron Crowe had signed it, Thanking Louisville.

Shame on Cameron for writing on someone's work of art!! LOL!

I know it's a real town in Kentucky :) I'd like to know what the horse is

So you're telling me Orlando Bloom was in your town and you didn't ever try to get near him? For shame :tsk: :wink:

Btw Tom Cruise is one of the producers on Elizabethtown

MrsSpringsteen said:
I know it's a real town in Kentucky :) I'd like to know what the horse is

So you're telling me Orlando Bloom was in your town and you didn't ever try to get near him? For shame :tsk: :wink:

Btw Tom Cruise is one of the producers on Elizabethtown

yeah it's a real town but they didn't do a lot of filming there. They used bits of over towns.

I didn't doubt that you guys didn't know it was a real town. Just wanted to give you a good geographical reference.

Well I was a new time mom and well couldn't drive downtown to go see them hang out in the Highlands. My friend saw Orlando walking down the street.

Well Tom and Cameron are cool and it would make sense that Tom would produce right. Lots of Mapothers in Louisville!! They even have a law firm.

Oh Horse story, well for last year;s Derby Festival (you all know the Kentucky Derby right? :wink: ).

http://www.gallopaloozaderby.com/

This website explains it more.

Basically 223 life-size fiber glass horses that various organizations and people painted. These horses were then placed in various places around the city. Later some were auctioned off.

Some of them were really cool and then Cameron defaced one. HEHE!!

Last edited:
I hope you didn't think I was being nasty or something :wink:

Well congrats on your baby :) If I saw that man walking down the street I think I might be overcome..with something :D

That's interesting about the Mapothers there

MrsSpringsteen said:
I hope you didn't think I was being nasty or something :wink:

Well congrats on your baby :) If I saw that man walking down the street I think I might be overcome..with something :D

That's interesting about the Mapothers there

No of course, I didn't think you were being nasty!!:sad: kidding!!

yeah he's a hottie but I think kate bosworth was with him a lot. The Free paper in Louisville, the LEO (Louisville Eccentric Observer) had a whole story on locations of filming. Wished I had kept that!

Mapothers, yep. In fact, Tom Cruise went to high school at one of the Catholic High Schools before his mom got remarried and moved.

skjuls said:
. In fact, Tom Cruise went to high school at one of the Catholic High Schools before his mom got remarried and moved.

I've read that he moved around quite a bit, so that makes sense

I would have just pretended Kate was nowhere in sight :wink:..he's too young for me but I ain't dead yet :D

Tks for all the info..I remember they tried to start rumors about Orlando and Kirsten Dunst, I guess Orlando and Kate are back together maybe even engaged

MrsSpringsteen said:

I've read that he moved around quite a bit, so that makes sense

I would have just pretended Kate was nowhere in sight :wink:..he's too young for me but I ain't dead yet :D

Tks for all the info..I remember they tried to start rumors about Orlando and Kirsten Dunst, I guess Orlando and Kate are back together maybe even engaged

Kate with the two different colored eyes which freaks me out a little when I see her in those Revlon ads!

FYI, BELOW IS AN ARTICLE FROM THE LEO (LOUISVILLE ECCENTRIC OBSERVER) COVERING THE FILM AND THE VARIOUS PLACES IT WAS SHOT..........................

SOME L'VILLE HIGHLIGHTS: EAR X-TACY (GREAT INDEPENDENT MUSIC STORE) AND GUITAR EMPORIUM (STORE WHICH IS IN HTDAAB LINER NOTES, DALLAS HAS BOUGHT GUITARS HERE-makes sense since Dallas is from L'ville)

Enjoy everyone!!!!!!!!!!

Almost Wrapped:
Days of Retail and Rubbernecking With the Stars

By Cindy Lamb

It was on a blue moon that the cast and crew of a major motion picture pulled out of their temporary Kentucky home. To some, it would be just an astronomical report. To others, an omen.

Major portions of the film, a lost and found story called “Elizabethtown,” were shot, wrapped and packed off to Hollywood. It’s produced by a familiar face with a Louisville history — Tom Cruise — and directed by Cameron Crowe, a man rediscovering his Bluegrass roots with a pen in one hand and a camera in the other. (Crowe’s father was raised in Kentucky.) He and the film’s principal actors — Orlando Bloom, Kirsten Dunst and Susan Sarandon — along with supporting cast and crew, didn’t just show up for work at a movie set here. They created a village.

People in the jet-setting film industry often refer to the vast geography between New York and Los Angeles as “flyover country.” This time, though, they flew in and stayed. Worked, partied, shopped, made new friends, collected old stories. By the time writer-director Crowe is seen wandering Fourth Street again, he’ll have premieres on his mind and, hopefully, a hit on his hands. Again.

If rock journalism had a lemonade stand, Crowe, who got his start in that world, would be serving it up. Given nearly 30 years of opportunity to age, it doesn’t seem Crowe’s face has kept its part of the bargain — he still resembles the teenage scribe who managed one of the youngest published bylines in magazine history. A winning combination of guts, smarts and serendipity had him sitting across from Jimmy Page and a bottle of Jack Daniels instead of sharing a pocket of change with other kids at an arcade.

A Bustle In My Hedgerow
I recall reading Crowe’s observations from the rock road and studios when picking up copies of Rolling Stone in the 1970s from Karma Records, then in St. Matthews. The music literary fare of the day was Creem, Crawdaddy, Circus. The bands were hairy, sweaty and stoned. And there was Crowe, a kid with a cassette recorder, sitting at the hearth of Robert Plant, getting the skinny on everything from Celtic mythology to sex at the Hyatt House. Damn him! It was all I could do to fail math, date musicians and attend as many concerts as possible, and I still couldn’t hold a Zippo lighter to what he’d accomplished. So I did what a lot of kids from the mid-south did — I made it across the continent to California, with an achin’ in my heart and enough Led Zep 8-track tapes in tow to keep the Volkswagen moving westward. Cameron’s mother could blame Jimmy Page. My mother could blame Cameron Crowe.

Why Do We Care?
Depending on who I spoke to during the month or so that the “Elizabethtown” cast and crew created a new zip code, I found we’re pretty much divided on the excitement. One camp pretty much “I don’t care,” and the other, “This is really exciting.” The latter won out. (We can recall that “Stripes” and “The Insider” were heretofore the biggest pictures shot in town. I wonder if the buzz was as loud when “Goldfinger” scenes were shot in Louisville back in the ’60s.)

Researchers say they can differentiate among hero worshipers, from casual stargazers to serious stalkers. Anthropologists suggest our love affair with luminaries is just an extension of a centuries old instinct to imitate successful people. If our prehistoric predecessors worshipped the hunters, today’s celebrity seekers hunt the worshipped. The modern mutation became a fervor that imbued the city, especially for the people who just can’t get enough of it at Derby, as there were multiple sightings of the actors, directors and assorted crew.

Louisvillian Paul Smith wasn’t among the throngs skirting the sets, but in the movie itself. He was first seen on the silver screen in a supporting role “Nice Guys Sleep Alone” by Louisville’s Stu Pollard and is a performer with Project Improv. In “Elizabethtown” he portrays a waiter, which he says “wasn’t much of a stretch” because his steady employer is Lentini’s. His scene was shot in the alley between the Brown Hotel. “I’m on a smoke break behind the restaurant and I’m watching a catering party unload,” Smith says. “Orlando is chasing Kirsten down the alley for that particular scene, but afterwards, he stuck around and signed every autograph for the crowd watching.”

What was it like working alongside Crowe?

“He is very interesting to talk with and listen to,” Smith says. “He’s all about music, all the time. During one romantic scene, he’s blaring the Rolling Stone’s ‘Wild Horses.’ Even when I was at the casting call, he wanted to play music during all of that.”

While Smith hasn’t yet read the entire script, he knows that Crowe said it would be more like a love story in the vein of the director’s work on “Say Anything” or “Jerry McGuire.”

“He really loved this city, loved the way it felt,” Smith says. “Most importantly, that it wasn’t L.A.”

In Louisville, the crew set scenes throughout downtown Louisville, at Cave Hill Cemetery, in the Art Zone, at Wagner’s Pharmacy and a few points beyond. The otherwise tight sets were padded by fans and onlookers ranging from curious to salivating. Orlando Bloom had an entrenched mass of female admirers ranging from Girl Scouts to the Power Puff demographic. (And they say “Lord of the Rings” was a boy flick.) Yes, the locals gabbed about the suave Brit (often accompanied by his black mutt Sidi, rescued in Morocco) and others in the cast of famous faces they were seeing around town. If you missed the hoopla, here’s a rundown of the sightings.

Brown Hotel
In the tradition of grand hotels everywhere, the Brown is mum on the movie star and production guests. All we want to know is whether any of them ordered the famous Hot Brown and if any special moments occurred they might share with the city?

Nope.

They run a tight ship, and nary a barkeep or general manager will give any hint of what it was like to be Mission Control of a major motion picture. Makes me feel like I’m working for The National Enquirer or sumthin’.

Later, after the entourage is gone, I get in touch with Marc Salmon, assistant general manager who was also cast as an extra in the film. He reports there were 140 cast and crew guests at their peak stay.

“Most guests stay for three days on the average; they were with us for 45, so naturally there was some personal attachments,” he says. “It was the most generous, supportive and kind guests we could have hoped for.”

One day a wedding was taking place and Crowe, who had a camcorder handy, asked permission to videotape part of the wedding party, saying it might help him with a wedding scene in the film. He met with the parents of the bride and all were thrilled.

Overall, there were no security problems. The teenage girls waiting for a peek at Orlando outside the hotel were well behaved, and the only negative thing Salmon could think of was that Sidi ate one pillow during his stay.

Cunningham’s
A popular stop indeed, especially for production crew. Nothing comforts like a famous fish sandwich and a cold one. Elaine, the animal-loving barkeep, noticed that Orlando and Sidi enjoyed an umbrella table on Fourth Street, where she made sure the pooch had water but forgot to bring his master’s drink. Orlando was a great sport and a good tipper, she reports.

Kentucky Museum of Art + Design
Around the first of July, cool veteran Susan Sarandon rounded the corner into the Kentucky Museum of Art + Design as it was about to close. She had enough time to inspect the gallery shop when a gracious David McGuire, the gallery’s personal sales associate, asked if a sneak peek of the evening’s opening would be of interest. She enjoyed a relaxing, self-guided tour of “Tea For Two,” “Duets” and “This Splendid Table” and thanked them on the way out by promising she’d be back.

Amazing Grace
Health and hangovers — Orlando and Kirsten had their favorite purchases at the venerable whole foods hub of the Highlands, Amazing Grace. Purchasing a bottle of Source Naturals Hangover Formula, Ms. Dunst was free to party on with no early call-time worries. It’s amazing what Milk Thistle can do! Mr. Bloom so liked the energetic results of the Emergen-C drink crystals that he had his assistant return and purchase an entire case.

Baxter Avenue Theaters
Where do stars go to watch other stars? The Baxter, baby. A huge crowd of cast and crew enjoyed private screenings of “Fahrenheit 9/11” and “Super Size Me.” Orlando Bloom, who had appeared most recently on the screen at Baxter as an elf, was now in the company of his girlfriend, Kate Bosworth (“Blue Crush”). (Mr. Bloom also walked around Mid-City Mall, which was surely an exotic cultural experience.)

During one of the screenings, a theater staffer had a pleasant chat with a nice man who engaged him in film banter. A comedy came up and the staffer said it was a good film that reminded him of “Fast Times at Ridgemont High” and asked if the nice man had seen it? The man chuckled and said, “Yes, I have. That’s my movie.”

Cave Hill Cemetery
The only thing spent here was time and energy. The production crew worked feverishly in the serene environment while touching sequences of drama were played out. The ghost of Col. Sanders probably straightened his string tie to make sure everyone was just so. After the shoot, a bevy of giggling girls skipped through the tall iron gates onto Cherokee Road as if they were a band of fairies loosed from the trees, each clutching autograph books, cameras and signs.

Wagner’s Pharmacy and Churchill Downs
Crowe wanted to include as many of the pharmacy, kitchen staff and family members of Lee Wagner’s historic prescription and milkshake emporium as possible in a shoot. He even called to one of the older custodial employees who had tucked himself away, to please come be part of the picture.

With the corner drugstore draped in wire, lights and duct tape, Mr. Wagner himself had to ask the director whether the racing memorabilia would be seen in the shot. Pause. Hold. Of course. Particular attention went to one dramatic racing photo — a famous shot of a thoroughbred stumbling and throwing its jock at the finish line, still in front with jockey and horse still touching, thereby winning. If this photograph was important to Wagner, it would be important for the film. Crowe is said to have rewritten the scene to accommodate the photo.

At Churchill Downs, there were two tours — one for cast, one for crew. Everyone was eager to take in the sights of the world’s most famous racetrack. Orlando Bloom even visited on Independence Day, when he joined a photo in the Winner’s Circle — and took his own photo.

ear X-tacy
Crowe had flown in before while location scouting. Kirsten Dunst dropped in for a look-see as well. Nancy Wilson, Cameron’s better half, visited and returned to the counter with a dozen copies of her current release with Heart sibling Ann, Jupiter’s Darling. She wanted to present the CDs as gifts to friends while in Louisville and had no promo discs on hand. We hope to see a lot of the beloved bumper stickers out in Tinseltown later this month.

Guitar Emporium
Music celebs aren’t uncommon in the store, but a guitar or two were sold as means to avoid the movie set doldrums. Nancy Wilson purchased an inexpensive Martin to strum the hours away. Also recognized was character actor Bruce McGill (“D-Day” from “Animal House”), who wanted to pick and grin in his trailer while the takes and retakes rolled on.

Heine Bros.
The Heine Bros. next to Carmichael’s Bookstore across from Mid-City Mall served many a cast and crew member. Orlando pulled up for a cup o’ joe with Sidi riding shotgun. We all know what a pain it is to maneuver a vehicle to parallel the curb on Longest Avenue, and Bloom wasn’t immune. He bumped the utility pole. Oops.

Jack Fry’s
For such a tiny place, Jack Fry’s hosts some of the biggest celebrated beings who visit Louisville. At one time or another, almost all of the cast and crew dined there, dubbing it the Elizabethtown “clubhouse.” Orlando, Kirsten and Cameron visited numerous times, reports manager Gina Baker. “Every single person was extremely nice. We were so sad when they left town,” she says. “We’ll miss them.”

Jicama Grill
The “J” may be silent, but the enamored wait staff didn’t mind sharing. (Pronunciation key: hik-a-ma.) Kirsten Dunst’s kitchen-away-from-home. While her favorite dish was red snapper, she never had a harsh word to say to autograph seekers. Susan Sarandon heard it through the grapevine about Jicama and brought friends. Orlando made the scene on the patio as well and brought … well, you know.

Leatherhead
Of all the establishments Bloom visited, it was the quiet company of Nick and Lynn Boone of Leatherhead that seemed to tug at his soul, as well as his dog’s leash. Entering the store one day with Sidi, Bloom let the dog run free, and he promptly trotted over to Lynn and took her up on some slices of Tony Boombozz pizza. A friendship was forged. The actor became fond of the Boones, often sitting for long periods in the back with Nick as he worked. Lynn brought back food from the Uptown Cafe for lunch, with Sidi getting a lion’s share. (His favorite? Cream of mushroom soup.)

While always willing to sign autographs and chat with other shoppers, the actor was most content to enjoy the small Leatherhead family. If he couldn’t visit, he’d call.

“I believe that Orlando is a talented young man,” remarked Lynn Boone in her no-nonsense drawl. “He just represents such an honesty and an innocence.”

Nick designed a guitar strap for Crowe’s wife, Nancy Wilson, as well as bags, shoes and, of course, dog collars, for many of the visiting encampment. All in all, good business and good memories — with just a hint of patchouli.

Lynn’s Paradise Café
Being the last Saturday before the “Elizabethtown” camp departed Kentucky for a day of shooting in Memphis, it only seemed fitting to host an early wrap party. A packed house of tired and hungry people were ready to have some fun. Funny, it sounds just like a Lynn’s Sunday brunch crowd. But this was a room full of grips, actors, gaffers, pretty girls and best boys. A DJ was hired, the Formica tables were cleared and a dance floor created. The ugly lamps weren’t the only things lit — everyone partied with zeal (and fluid encouragement). Crowe stuck to his table on the patio and remained with his loyal collaborators and staff till past 2 a.m. The menu included southern white bean hummus, potato cakes, Reuben quesadillas and more. A few teenage girls seeking the aura of Sidi’s daddy waited outside. The irony of the evening was that Lynn herself was in L.A. taking a creative writing class.

In the Art Zone — Artemisia, Swanson Reed Gallery
The E-towners enjoyed many a meal at Artemisia, in East Market Street’s 600 block. Gail Schwartz made sure the staff was considerate of their privacy and each lunch and dinner rolled to the tables with no intrusions. Even Sidi — the famous chocolate pup — held court in the courtyard. “He was made welcome out there,” Gail says.

A few doors down, gallery owner Chuck Swanson says “we’re like a family here on this block of East Market, so it was nice to have another family visit.”

The two families mixed from 9 p.m. till sunrise on Thursday, July 29, during the cast and crew’s last shoot in the River City. Swanson and his wife Karolle watched the scene from the gallery floor. “One of the most interesting and unplanned moments of the night,” Chuck notes, “were all the bugs.”

It’s true; a crew had to come in and spray the actors with OFF, but they couldn’t prevent many of the kamikaze critters from diving into the huge set lights, causing their bodies to hiss, spark and smoke.

Crowe was walking backwards, leading Orlando and Kirsten through their lines. Finding a moment to rest, the director looked up to see the Swansons and gave them a thumbs-up.

“All in all, it was like the circus coming to town; they really worked hard, but it felt festive,” Chuck says. “The cables were draped over the top of the buildings, lights hanging in trees.”

Later, the Swansons asked Crowe for his autograph — their teenage son is considering filmmaking as a career. The genuine message inscribed from Crowe, Chuck says, was “nothing that we haven’t suggested already — to not sign up with a film school first but to wait and attend a liberal arts college. If you don’t, you won’t have anything to write about when you get to film school.” Crowe signed off with, “May the film gods shine on you.”

As the evening gave way to the dawn’s light, the scene’s filming ended with an uproarious applause. The next day, they all packed up and left. It was a wrap.

Contact the writer at lambscribe@aol.com

Last changed: August 10. 2004 9:10PM

I saw the trailer before War Of The Worlds

Is the extended trailer on the movie web site? I went to watch it on mtv.com and they said I had to change my screen resolution..I was too lazy to do it :wink:

MrsSpringsteen said:
I saw the trailer before War Of The Worlds

Is the extended trailer on the movie web site? I went to watch it on mtv.com and they said I had to change my screen resolution..I was too lazy to do it :wink:

The trailer on the website was the same exact one seen before War of the Worlds.

However, they do have an Internet First look with more scenes.

skjuls said:

no comment!:wink:

Titanic 2: The Unsinking

Leo DiCaprio did not drown, he dived until the bottom of the sea and, with the help of the Terminator, re-floated the leviathan, picked up Kate Winslet and Gisele Bundchen on the way and sailed all the way to Madagascar, where he fought the evil empire.

:wink:

I enjoy Cameron Crowe's movies (also enjoyed his articles from Rolling Stone.) Thanks for the heads up, Mrs. S.

Back
Top Bottom