Bummerville, CA, United States Superthread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
People talking in movies is also a real deal breaker. I won't go the cinema anymore, you just know you're going to end up a row away from some idiot couple who crinkle and crunch chip bags and talk through the whole damn thing.

I actually had no idea who the old avatar was. Nor am I sure who the new one is, though there's a faint degree of recognition.

Also, I was genuinely surprised to learn in that other thread about your screen name being your actual name. I'd always assumed it was an obscure reference I didn't get.

I actually had no idea who the old avatar was. Nor am I sure who the new one is, though there's a faint degree of recognition.

That's ok, it was pretty obscure. The new one is the hyper-wired Lydia from the closing season of Breaking Bad.

Also, I was genuinely surprised to learn in that other thread about your screen name being your actual name. I'd always assumed it was an obscure reference I didn't get.

That was probably always my secret weapon. It must be a madeup name! No, it was my contrary and foolish urge to seem 'authentic' amid a sea of U2fan2002!'s and the like when I first registered.

Ironically, now, everyone's oversharing and curating themselves on bullshit facebook pages and I won't go near the thing. Deeply, deeply suspicious of that shit. Wear a mask instead, I say, and thereby tell the truth (and this is a mask, real name or no).

People who talk during gigs are pretty much the worst people.

I tend to make little jokes and such to Travis during shows, but I try not to talk much.

Which is why I will never forget the one time that I was kinda talking a bit during a Bob Dylan gig. This guy turns around and goes, "NO ONE WANTS TO HEAR YOU TALKING DURING 'BALLAD OF A THIN MAN'!" Which led me to wonder if it would've been acceptable during any other song.

Yeah I'm all for doing whatever during the gig, but just don't ruin it for everyone around you.

That was probably always my secret weapon. It must be a madeup name! No, it was my contrary and foolish urge to seem 'authentic' amid a sea of U2fan2002!'s and the like when I first registered..

Ouch. :lol:

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Nothing personal, mind. I didn't have you in my brain when I did it, thinking, that'll show Bonoman2002! Though there might have been a nice dada-esque quality if you had joined in like 2000 or 1999 but named yourself Bonoman2002. Or done the same in 2009.

Nothing personal, mind. I didn't have you in my brain when I did it, thinking, that'll show Bonoman2002! Though there might have been a nice dada-esque quality if you had joined in like 2000 or 1999 but named yourself Bonoman2002. Or done the same in 2009.

Oh no I know, I was just saying. I think I went for 2002 because A) bonoman was taken and B) Honestly never thought I'd be on this site for more than a year.

Oh no I know, I was just saying. I think I went for 2002 because A) bonoman was taken and B) Honestly never thought I'd be on this site for more than a year.

There have been quite a few Bonomen here over the years, but there's only one Sting Two.

B2mLmu5CQAAyHqu.jpg

It's funny, from all accounts Abbott was a disaster at the G20, but if you read any Murdoch rag today he's the greatest leader the world has ever known.

B2j378jCQAEnaMg.jpg

I mean FFS he brought up the co-payment in his speech!

Some of the international responses to Tone's performance have been pretty great - like that widely quoted LA Times piece.

What does your username mean? I always had some vague notion it was sport related and thus part of that mysterious other world of sport stuff, but I could be completely wrong.

Actually, it's entirely made up. It dates from my childhood, when I fancied myself as a fiction author. I coined Axver as the last name of three brothers in my main story, the lead protagonists (I'm not entirely positive but I think it was a corruption of a river name from a book I'd recently read). One of them, Amak Axver, was the character obviously based on an idealised version of me; anybody who's got my email address will recognise that name. When I signed up on a messageboard for the first time in 2002, I used Axver as my screen name for reasons long lost to the mists of time. Probably I'd been working on the novel at the time and it didn't sound like anything that anybody else was using. It stuck and I became Ax very quickly.

Now I'm pretty grateful to have an Internet pseudonym I can use anywhere, rather than something generic based on my sign-up date, location, or a song that I like. Imagine if I'd called myself GoldCoast11OTT or something stupid like that, simply because that's where I lived when I signed up for Interference and 11 O'clock Tick Tock was my favourite U2 song at the time.

Some of the international responses to Tone's performance have been pretty great - like that widely quoted LA Times piece.

Actually, it's entirely made up. It dates from my childhood, when I fancied myself as a fiction author. I coined Axver as the last name of three brothers in my main story, the lead protagonists (I'm not entirely positive but I think it was a corruption of a river name from a book I'd recently read). One of them, Amak Axver, was the character obviously based on an idealised version of me; anybody who's got my email address will recognise that name. When I signed up on a messageboard for the first time in 2002, I used Axver as my screen name for reasons long lost to the mists of time. Probably I'd been working on the novel at the time and it didn't sound like anything that anybody else was using. It stuck and I became Ax very quickly.

Now I'm pretty grateful to have an Internet pseudonym I can use anywhere, rather than something generic based on my sign-up date, location, or a song that I like. Imagine if I'd called myself GoldCoast11OTT or something stupid like that, simply because that's where I lived when I signed up for Interference and 11 O'clock Tick Tock was my favourite U2 song at the time.

Hey, that's a pretty cool origin story for a username, I must say. Certainly a few streets ahead of GoldCoastBot25 or HiluxBloke.

My own handle (started an alter as 'Zedbetty' once, but ended up using it everywhere but here) was/is much less interesting. It was a play on Z Edge (aka Mrs Garrison) and a long gone South Australianer called Brettig who everyone addressed as Betty. And the Australian pronunciation of "Z". Yeah.

Hey, that's a pretty cool origin story for a username, I must say. Certainly a few streets ahead of GoldCoastBot25 or HiluxBloke.

My own handle (started an alter as 'Zedbetty' once, but ended up using it everywhere but here) was/is much less interesting. It was a play on Z Edge (aka Mrs Garrison) and a long gone South Australianer called Brettig who everyone addressed as Betty. And the Australian pronunciation of "Z". Yeah.

I should terrify everyone by having my screen name changed to HiluxBloke for 24 hours.

That's still a better origin story than most! And points for beyond-obscure inside references.

I should terrify everyone by having my screen name changed to HiluxBloke for 24 hours.

That's still a better origin story than most! And points for beyond-obscure inside references.

You should change it to that forever.

I once got a callout on a dating site from someone called 'HiluxBloke' who wanted to hit the town and 'run amuck' with me. I cannot, cannot fathom what in my profile led them to think they were what I wanted in my life.

I successfully avoided yet another Myki fine today. Saw the inspectors get on, just stood near the doors, and then got off at the next stop. Waited 30 seconds for the next tram. I would estimate I've now avoided inspectors on about 10 separate occasions. Getting off has been my most popular method, but I've also done it pretending to be asleep, and once I even avoided one after the inspector got me. He was like 'there's no money on this you haven't touched on' and I was feebly like 'ohh what didn't work oh no" and he was like "just get off here and go and top up at that 7/11".

I've been doing it since February last year. I don't think I have ever paid for a tram. I'm saving myself what $50-60 a week? It's genius.

Cobbler, if we fall $50 short of being able to afford a new tramline, we now all know who to blame. :wink:

You should change it to that forever.

I once got a callout on a dating site from someone called 'HiluxBloke' who wanted to hit the town and 'run amuck' with me. I cannot, cannot fathom what in my profile led them to think they were what I wanted in my life.

Hahaha that's classic.

Kieran, after all, being a popular women's name. The mistake's understandable!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom