Buffy the Vampire Slayer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I LOVE Buffy, but I LOOOOVE Angel even more. The cast and the writing were both more consistent, and the format was much more varied than Buffy. That said, I probably enjoy watching Buffy more.

I've always loved how Alexis Denisof and Alyson Hannigan upstaged their respective leads on each show, and then they got married.

*wouldtotallysellsoultobealexisdenisof*

Best episode of Angel ever?

angelpup5.jpg

angelpup3.jpg

angelpup7.jpg

IMO, yes.

YES.

"Wee little puppet man!" :lol:

I loved how Wesley went from uptight British twit to totally awesome on Angel.

There is a woeful lack of Buffy clips on Youtube. Stupid Fox network. :grumpy:

Stupid Fox X 2 for cancelling the traveling shows of the Buffy musical singalongs, too.

Yeah, just checked and there isn't much there

The chemistry between the major characters on Buffy was really quite extraordinary. They could have sit around discussing the weather all day and it still would have made riveting TV.

This scene was always a favourite of mine: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wHBWyWhxRXc

Great acting, dialogue and score.

Ah, crazy Spike from season 7.

I loved annoying Andrew's translation of the phrase that actually meant "From Beneath You, It Devours":

"It eats you, starting with your bottom."

:lol:

I think the best episode from season 7 (other than the finale) was the Anya episode, where she went all vengeancy on the frat boys and expounded on her backstory and had the fight with her and Buffy. That was an amazing episode.

corianderstem said:
Okay, Buffy fans. Come out of the woodwork, and let's gush (or gripe) about Buffy and the Scooby Gang from Sunnydale.

When it first came out, I brushed off all the people who kept telling me how good it was. Whatever, I thought, it's just some stupid high school show with a perky blonde girl. It can't be that good.

Then, some years back, I got laid off just as FX started showing the reruns. I was HOOKED! (And had a lot of people saying "I told you so.")

Yeah, maybe it started to go off the rails a bit in season 4 after high school. Or after Angel left Sunnydale. Or after (insert other event here).

Let's discuss this smart, funny, well-written show that blended monsters with real-life themes.
I had the same experience with Buffy. I first checked it out because some CNN Entertainment Weekly critic said it was better than Millennium Season 2; Season 1 was better than that and easily better than all of Buffy, but I guess he was right about Season 2.

Anyway, so I checked out a Season 3 episode in which Buffy lost her powers. I wasn't too intrigued. Didn't check out the show for another 3 and a half years.

Was bored out of my mind in summer school in undergrad in 2002. Watched the 5th season finale and was hooked. Over the rest of the summer, I'd sneakily watch the show, hating myself for watching this silly show. I enjoyed the comedy and mostly Spike and Xander. Then I started to appreciate the other characters and even was interested in the drama and those teen/early adult moments. I always wished I had pals like that who did anything for you!

My favorite season is 5, then 6, then 2/maybe 3 (though the 3rd season finale was awful). I actually appreciate the comedy in Season 4, though the drama's awful; it's better than Season 7, which was without humor, misfocussed on characters, and had awful drama; my early review of Season 7 was actually posted on a Buffy fan site!

I don't quite think Buffy was realistic enough. I think it tried too hard to make mythological archetypes and metaphors for real world emotions to an unbelievable degree -- for example, Angel turning evil was somehow akin to a guy not wanting you anymore because you slept with him.

Still, a unique show and much appreciated humor!

How about Angel. Season 3 was awesome in terms of basic plot, but -- much like Buffy had major drawbacks. Seasons 4 was good (not great because of a lack of humor) and Season 5 was pretty awesome; amazing finale. I was heart-broken when Angel was cancelled. Huge mistake in my opinion!

Last edited:
corianderstem said:
Ah, crazy Spike from season 7.

I loved annoying Andrew's translation of the phrase that actually meant "From Beneath You, It Devours":

"It eats you, starting with your bottom."

I think the best episode from season 7 (other than the finale) was the Anya episode, where she went all vengeancy on the frat boys and expounded on her backstory and had the fight with her and Buffy. That was an amazing episode.
I enjoyed the Anya episode, too. I think it was the best. The only other 2 that were worth anything to me were "Conversations with Dead People" and "Potential". That's pretty much it. What a waste of the characters. Xander was totally wasted by focussing on Principle Wood and those annoying potential slayers and Willow's annoyingly aggressive girlfriend. I loved Xander, and all they do for him is have him lose an eye!

Even Sarah Gellar was upset over Xander!

Joss really screwed up that last season! That's why I will always have a grudege against Firefly for taking away good writers away from both Buffy and Angel that year.

Yeah, I pretty much agree with your take on the last season. I'm not all bitter about it like I am with the X-Files, though.

Buffy redeemed itself with the final episode, which I found satisfying, rather than a show trying to wrap up its overly convoluted unresolved plot threads after pissing me off for a good two years. :wink:

Firefly was still one of the best science fiction shows ever.

That's besides the point, Buffy really did suffer after she died for the 3rd time? 2nd time? I'm not quite sure.

She died twice. Once in her drowning at The Master's hand in season 1, and then the second time when she sacrificed herself into the mystical portal at the end of season 5 (sniff, sniffle).

Didn't you see the musical episode? She even sings, "Hey, I've died twiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiice!"

:wink:

I was curious about Firefly until I found out it was basically cowboys in space. Cowboys. Space. Two strikes against it right there.

I did go back and rent the movie though, and I enjoyed that more than I thought I would. I'm still shrugging at the prospect of watching the DVDs of the series, though.

I remember seeing the musical episode when it first aired and I've been trying to block it from my memory ever since.

Like it's been said before, the Season 5 finale was the bomb. Buffy smacking Glory around with the huge, fucking hammer... then Giles smothering the dude at the end. Badass television.

Firefly is basically a space western, but it's all about the characters, which are probably the best ensemble Whedon's ever put together... sorry Buffy.

"Numfar! Do the dance of joy"
"No longer do the dance of joy, Numfar!"
"Numfar! Do the dance of honor."

I used to love Lorne! Damn, now I'm going to have to have an Angel marathon, too.

I loved Lorne until he sang. Then he made my ears bleed. My GOD, that was some awful, nasal singing.

It's baffling how someone who technically is singing on pitch can sound so painful.

But yeah. Lorne rocked. Fred bugged me. I actually preferred it when she bit it and Illyria took her place. She was cool.

LemonMacPhisto said:
I remember seeing the musical episode when it first aired and I've been trying to block it from my memory ever since.

Like it's been said before, the Season 5 finale was the bomb. Buffy smacking Glory around with the huge, fucking hammer... then Giles smothering the dude at the end. Badass television.
I know what you mean. It's an okay idea, but I feel embarrassed watching it.

Tim Minear and Mere Smith's work on Angel was so much better than what Whedon did most of the time on Angel, though the 5th season was pretty damn good.

The episodes where Fred dies and Wesley just goes crazy are great, in fact by season 3 I think that Wesley was the most interesting character, adding Spike to season 5 was a good call.

And whats up with no Firefly love? It's first 13 episodes are far better than both Buffy and Angels respective ones (except for Heart of Gold, but they can't all be winners).

Yeah, I enjoyed Firefly. Granted, it wasn't given enough time to transcend or invert its clichés and is a little overrated by the young sci-fi crowd, but it was still a solid show.

Back
Top Bottom