Bucksnort, Tennessee Superthread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Reggo, I'm with Renato's suggestions for the tracklist - also, not sure why you'd use 4th Of July (especially since it's the weakest UF era instrumental), and how come an acoustic Walk On?
I included all of TUF album and I hate the studio version of Walk On, but the acoustic version on 7 is surprisingly tolerable.

ETA: I'm an idiot. It's an acoustic version of Stuck. well, no Walk On at all then, damn it. Or Stuck, for that matter.

Ha, awesome, send it my way. My tastes tend to be fairly diverse actually - as fond as I am of some metal subgenres, it actually surprises me how little they show up on my last.fm charts. This evening, I'm rather addicted to the indie stylings of Pinback; one track I'd been writing off for months suddenly hit me and I can't get enough of it.

As for Feist, I've only heard one or two of her songs ... one was that annoying song used in iTunes ads, but you can't judge anybody by that, as we well know with U2!

Will do. You are probably referring to 1, 2, 3, 4, which I guess is the weakest track on reminder. I prefer her first solo album (and even more her work with Broken Social Scene). Anyway, the track will be interesting, at least for the title!

I'm only giving her actual CD tracks for now. If she turns into a U2 nerd like the rest of us, then I'll provide her with B-sides and rare and unreleased stuff.

And, actually, I'm out for a while. :wave: Got errands to run.

I'm only giving her actual CD tracks for now. If she turns into a U2 nerd like the rest of us, then I'll provide her with B-sides and rare and unreleased stuff.

And, actually, I'm out for a while. :wave: Got errands to run.

Maybe she'll be surprised with some hidden gems! I'm sure you'll turn her into a U2 nerd. ^See you around! :wave:

Have a good one, Reggo! :wave:

I would do very little note-taking before, but I find it extremely useful now, particularly when I have some gaps in between intensive research periods. It helps me get me up to speed quickly.

To be frank, I think we don't really have a minimum or maximum word/page limit for the thesis. But we do use page count, generally with strict rules for margins, space between lines and font, so you have a uniform size for everybody.

I'm looking forward to the interviews. It would help if I manage to get transferred to the field in the second semester, if not I'll have to plan for some visits. I

Yeah, that's what I'm thinking - I won't be writing in concentrated bursts as I'm accustomed to, so note-taking might have to become something I do frequently. Maybe I'll just spend lots of money on photocopying though, haha. Or photograph things ...

I prefer having a word limit, since I think it's a fairer way of enforcing a limit. Plus I'm known for my detailed footnoting (and only footnoting; I'll resist in-line citations and endnotes as much as possible), so that'd screw me over on page limits.

Have a good one, Reggo! :wave:

Yeah, that's what I'm thinking - I won't be writing in concentrated bursts as I'm accustomed to, so note-taking might have to become something I do frequently. Maybe I'll just spend lots of money on photocopying though, haha. Or photograph things ...

I prefer having a word limit, since I think it's a fairer way of enforcing a limit. Plus I'm known for my detailed footnoting (and only footnoting; I'll resist in-line citations and endnotes as much as possible), so that'd screw me over on page limits.

Photograph things ftw!

I can see how footnotes can screw you if you have page limit rather than word limit. Footnoting is good but it can be a pain if you want to transform the thesis into a book afterwards.

Photograph things ftw!

I can see how footnotes can screw you if you have page limit rather than word limit. Footnoting is good but it can be a pain if you want to transform the thesis into a book afterwards.

Might need to invest in a cheap but good quality digital camera ... it may look a wee bit funny if I'm in a library photographing old newspapers and things with my DSLR. Then again, the DSLR gives the best quality. I'm used to looking funny ANYWAY.

I imagine any referencing system is a pain to turn into a book; what I've heard from publishers is that if you're going for a book, you might as well just redo the referencing entirely as the commercial market is totally different. I hate that. I hate reading books with endnotes rather than footnotes; I find them staggeringly inconvenient and I don't know why anybody uses them.

Will do. You are probably referring to 1, 2, 3, 4, which I guess is the weakest track on reminder. I prefer her first solo album (and even more her work with Broken Social Scene). Anyway, the track will be interesting, at least for the title!

That's the song alright ... over-promoted lead singles seem to inherently be weak!

I've heard BSS's You Forgot It In People. Can't say I felt any desire to play it more than the once though.

OK folks, sneak peek at the Simon Mayo interview summary that I'm going to put up on U2gigs once the Evans interview begins (I'll be following these two paragraphs with live Evans updates - I don't want to clutter the main page with too many articles). In trying to keep it brief, I've stuck just to setlist information and some other stuff that I think is most interesting.

Since the Live Lounge appearance, U2 have been busy. Bono and Adam showed up for an interview with Simon Mayo on BBC Radio 5 in the mid-afternoon. The interview covered a wide range of topics. From a setlist perspective, the most interesting revelation came when Simon asked the band a listener-submitted question about whether they have considered playing a whole album live. Bono responded that they had considered doing at least playing a whole side of an album, in the traditional vinyl sense, on the Vertigo Tour: Achtung Baby, The Joshua Tree, and especially Boy were candidates. As their song selection for Boy was nearly an entire side anyway - the only song not played on Vertigo in any manner from Boy's first side was Twilight - Bono said it was the closest to actually happening on the two arena legs in the US.

Moving away from setlists, Simon asked them about the role of digital music and illegal downloads. Adam spoke about how a new model of music distribution is developing, and that it is good for music to be out there and people hearing it. However, he expressed concern for young bands and asked how they could financially survive in such a climate; he was frank that this is not a worry for a band of U2's stature. Bono also took a positive view. He emphasised that
listening to music is only one facet, and there is a whole world of photography, liner notes, and other details surrounding the sounds. He believes that digital space will lead to a renaissance in this regard, as album artwork will be more interactive, able to be shaped by the listener to reflect their memories associated with the work. It can bring "the experience of music into an environment". The band were also confronted with a listener's question about the volume of compilations and remasters released recently. Bono's simple advice was that people who don't like a particular release simply shouldn't buy it, though he expressed some worry about how completist fans can be exploited. Adam added that the early albums had never been mastered for CD; the original CD releases were taken from the vinyl masters and the remasters brought them up to the quality of contemporary CD mastering.

Ax, look at this (I really like Wilco):

New Wilco Album Coming in June
New Wilco Album Coming in June | Pitchfork

Hey, Wilco's back! We already knew that their Ashes of American Flags live DVD would come out in April and that indie retailers would get it early as part of the Record Store Day festivities. And we knew that the band had a bunch of tour dates coming up, including a pretty extensive road trip in and around Spain. And now we can also report that Wilco have a new album coming out soon!

As Rolling Stone has reported and the band's publicist has confirmed, the new Wilco album will be out in June. It doesn't have an album title yet, but we do know a few of the song titles: "Wilco, the Song" (which the band played on "The Colbert Report" last year), "Deeper Down", "My Country Has Disappeared", "Sunny Feeling", and "One Wing". According to Rolling Stone, the band recorded most of the album last month in New Zealand, when four members travelled to help out on a forthcoming Neil Finn charity album. Frequent Wilco mixing engineer Jim Scott serves as producer.

Austin Scaggs of the Rolling Stone Smoking Section blog heard a few tracks, and he offered some charmingly vague descriptions: "Let's just say that the record is sick!" Also: "Great melodies, great lyrics, great playing and great sounds. You're gonna dig it!" So Wilco has made yet another professional music writer sound like a tenth-grade stoner enthusing about Foghat. That's probably a good thing, right?

Might need to invest in a cheap but good quality digital camera ... it may look a wee bit funny if I'm in a library photographing old newspapers and things with my DSLR. Then again, the DSLR gives the best quality. I'm used to looking funny ANYWAY.

I imagine any referencing system is a pain to turn into a book; what I've heard from publishers is that if you're going for a book, you might as well just redo the referencing entirely as the commercial market is totally different. I hate that. I hate reading books with endnotes rather than footnotes; I find them staggeringly inconvenient and I don't know why anybody uses them.

Endnotes are like the worst invention ever. I truly feel like physically removing the pages where the endnotes are written just to follow the whole thing properly.

That's the song alright ... over-promoted lead singles seem to inherently be weak!

I've heard BSS's You Forgot It In People. Can't say I felt any desire to play it more than the once though.

I guess I should probably send you another song instead! :reject:

Ax, look at this (I really like Wilco):

Ooh, interesting - though I'm admittedly most curious about the work with Neil Finn!

I need to give Wilco a proper chance ...

Endnotes are like the worst invention ever. I truly feel like physically removing the pages where the endnotes are written just to follow the whole thing properly.

I guess I should probably send you another song instead! :reject:

I can't figure out why some publishers think endnotes are a good idea. What, do they WANT me to ignore the endnotes, or spend ages hunting them down, losing my page, and just stopping reading? Seems older books have footnotes more often; I'd love to know the reasons behind the trend to endnotes.

To be fair, I last listened to BSS when I was ... 18 or 19.

Ooh, interesting - though I'm admittedly most curious about the work with Neil Finn!

I need to give Wilco a proper chance ...

To be fair, I last listened to BSS when I was ... 18 or 19.

On Wilco, I would strongly recommend both Yankee Hotel Foxtrot and A Ghost Is Born.

BSS - I prefer their self-titled (particularly "7/4 (Shoreline)", with its 7/4 time signature as the title says)

Looks like that secret gig in London is happening! Just got a text from the location. Gear is set up, soundchecking's happened, 100 people already gathered ...

any idea if this concert will be broadcast?

I should probably go home like, now, in order to catch it from there.

This is the link to BBC Radio 2: BBC - Radio 2 - Chris Evans

U2 are going to appear on Chris Evans' show for an interview and he'll hopefully broadcast the gig.

Also, people who use IE should be banned from the Internet. Redesigning U2gigs took TEN TIMES as long as it should've thanks to IE users. It worked perfectly fine on every other browser, but IE is a sack of shit and Matthias had to spent 10x the hours making the site work on IE than he spent making it work on EVERY OTHER BROWSER COMBINED.

Without people who use IE on the internet, it would be very quiet. Very very quiet online.

Since still about 90% of the population uses IE.

guys, i'm gonna go home to try to catch the show there. see y'all later!!

I'd prefer a quieter Internet. :wink:

OK, I probably won't be around much, with all the other action. Need to keep on top of U2gigs ...

Ooh, Ashley will like that Larry chose Thunder Road to play on Evans' show.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom