Bruce Springsteen - where to start?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

U2girl

Blue Crack Addict
I only know a few songs: Born in the USA, I'm on fire, Sad eyes, Secret garden, Human touch and Philadelphia - my faves being Sad eyes and Secret garden.

Should i buy some Best of or cut to the chase and go for The rising?

Get the Best Of. Definitely.....also....The Rising, Darkness at the Edge of Town (my favourite :heart:)....Nebraska....oooo and 18 TRACKS is coooool

I swear we just had this thread...I don't remember what I said

My faves:

Human Touch
Murder Inc.
Born in the USA
I'm on Fire
Dancing in the Dark
Glory Days
Pink Cadillac
If I Fall Behind

I'm gonna try to see them on Saturday! :heart:
A friend found GA tix for $130! :no: :rant:

Last edited:
If you do nothing else, run out and buy The Rising, find your significant other, put on "The Fuse," and get ready to make some sweet New Jersey style love.

Miss MacPhisto said:
My faves:

Glory Days

Ok, i'm a dork. First i don't remember that there was already a Bruce thread, and i forgot to mention in know Glory Days (ta da daa da - like those keyboards!)

As for significant other...how about i skip that part? :(

As someone who's never owned a Bruce album until yesterday, I'll put in my 2 cents and say that The Rising is a great album.

And if Bruce's best of even halfway approaches Tom Petty's best of in terms of every single song kicking ass, then I'm gonna have to get that one too. :D

In terms of Best of's, Tom Petty's is by far my favorite.

The greatest hits doesn't have Sad Eyes or I'm on Fire, so don't buy it if those two songs are near and dear to your heart.

It's got most of his hits from the 1980's with a handfull from the 1970's and four new tracks, one of which is Secret Garden.

Overall, it's the best cd for your money, but it is missing Tunnel of Love, I'm Goin' Down, Cover Me, War, Dead Man Walking, Candy's Room, Prove it all Night, Fade Away, Rosalita, and countless others that belong in his gh.

Born in the USA, Born to Run, and The Rising would be the best trilogy in my opinion.

My Springsteen Collection as of late July- Greatest Hits, The Rising

My Springsteen Collection now-

Greetings from Asbury Park, NJ
The Wild, The Innocent, and the E Street Shuffle
Born to Run
Darkness on the Edge of Town
Nebraska
Greatest Hits
The Ghost of Tom Joad
Live in New York City
The Rising

And I plan on picking up Born in the USA tomorrow, and next paycheck The River and Tunnel of Love are priorities, and then Lucky Town and Human Touch. I want it all. I will eventually get the live box set and Tracks, but they're so :censored: expensive.

I really love his use of syllables on the first two albums. The lyrics aren't as deep, but his word placement is so amazing. I must say Born to Run is every bit as good as everyone says it is, and is waaaaaaaay up on my list of favorite CDs now. Live in NY is a must-have simply for Land of Hopes and Dreams, not to mention the live versions of Atlantic City and YOUNGSTOWN. Wow, never knew TGOTJ could rock out that much. Why was Born to Run left off the tracklisting though? It would have been a pleasant surprise, but I already had the DVD, so I knew it was there. Anyway, I have not heard a Bruce song I don't like yet. Must...have...more...

Damnit, Jason! :eek: :up:

I've got The Rising, Greatest Hits, Lucky Town (hey it was used), Nebraska, and Darkness on the Edge of Town. I tried winning Tracks on ebay a week ago but it went way out of my price range. :sad: I also have four bootlegs which are AMAZING, with more (including a few Little Steve and his Disciples of Soul, :shifty: )on the way. :drool: I can't stop listening to Glory Days from Vegas on this tour, it's great!! :up:

I know it's not among the best, but I just bought the "Live 1975-85" set today. I found it used for $14.99, so I couldn't find any reason to let it go.

It's a great collection if you can find it. I'm not sure most stores sell it.

40 songs! 8 songs you can't find anywhere else! Great collection.

Hello,

I bought The Rising last week and I have to say that it is :up: ! There are a few songs I still have to get into, but others are instant classics to my ears (Worlds Apart is gorgeous). And... last week I could get tickets for his only concert in the Netherlands!!! WOOHOO!!! I'm going to be there, baby, on 22 October! YEAH!

Popangel, what's wrong with Lucky Town? I also have that album (it's one of the few Bruce studio albums I have) and I thinks it's quite good (although I haven't listened to it in a while). Better Days, Souls Of The Departed, If I Should Fall Behind, The Big Muddy are all great songs. Don't be too apologetic about it.

UnforgettableLemon, Born To Run was left off the tracklisting (but it is on disc 1) as it was a very late addition to the set. I think it was too late to include it in the tracklisting, but they would include it in subsequent pressings. Guess they never did though. I have to say that I still think the tracklisting is very week on that album (LINYC), as there is no good 'flow'. It's not like a concert, it's just a collection of live tracks. I know that the main focus is on the tracks of the HBO special, but couldn't they fit in the other tracks in a better way (and put Out In The Streets and 10th Avenue Freeze Out together on one disc so that there is no fade-out between them).

Dano, I agree with you, Live 1975-1985 is also a great collection. I especially like the first disc (with the exception of the 2 last songs, you can really hear they're from a different era. Unfortunately, it all had to be fit together when they released it on 3 CD's instead of 5 LP's). Raise Your Hand is a superb song, as is Growin' Up, where he talks about himself and his 'goddamn guitar'. What can I say, I'm a sucker for live Bruce...

C ya!

Marty

Oh, there's nothing wrong with Lucky Town, it's just one of the ones I barely listen to. I love If I Should Fall Behind, Better Days, etc. It's just not on my must have of Bruce albums, but when I saw it used I grabbed it. :D

If they come back in the spring I am so going. It's like when I saw U2 in the heart last fall, never again will I accept nosebleeds for a show of theirs, and now the same applies to Bruce. I'm gonna get GA's again, too! (Hopefully luck out and get front row like last time, haha. :mac: )

I'm 2 1/2 hours away from winning the video collection, woohoo!

LarryMullen's_POPAngel said:
If they come back in the spring I am so going. It's like when I saw U2 in the heart last fall, never again will I accept nosebleeds for a show of theirs, and now the same applies to Bruce. I'm gonna get GA's again, too! (Hopefully luck out and get front row like last time, haha. :mac: )

Well, for me it's the other way round. This time I've got nosebleed seats (second ring at the side of the stage), but last time (and simultaneously first time :)) I saw Bruce, in 1999, I was 2nd row, or as second you can get with GA. That was great, hopefully it will be great too this time.

I'm 2 1/2 hours away from winning the video collection, woohoo!

I saw your other post about it. Congratulations for winning it. Happy drooling...

C ya!

Marty

Popmartijn said:

Well, for me it's the other way round. This time I've got nosebleed seats (second ring at the side of the stage), but last time (and simultaneously first time :)) I saw Bruce, in 1999, I was 2nd row, or as second you can get with GA. That was great, hopefully it will be great too this time.

I saw your other post about it. Congratulations for winning it. Happy drooling...

C ya!

Marty

Have a great time at the show! It's amazing. :up:

Heh....I sure will! Little :shifty: Steven and Bruce....I'll be :drool:! ;)

get greatest hits :D

my favorites:
thunder road
badlands
glory days
I'm on fire
streets of philadelphia
downbound train
brillant disguise

Back
Top Bottom