Brooke Shields fights back against Tom Cruise

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

trevster2k

Rock n' Roll Doggie Band-aid
Brooke Shields from the OP-ED page in NY Times

London

I WAS hoping it wouldn't come to this, but after Tom Cruise's interview with Matt Lauer on the NBC show "Today" last week, I feel compelled to speak not just for myself but also for the hundreds of thousands of women who have suffered from postpartum depression. While Mr. Cruise says that Mr. Lauer and I do not "understand the history of psychiatry," I'm going to take a wild guess and say that Mr. Cruise has never suffered from postpartum depression.

Postpartum depression is caused by the hormonal shifts that occur after childbirth. During pregnancy, a woman's level of estrogen and progesterone greatly increases; then, in the first 24 hours after childbirth, the amount of these hormones rapidly drops to normal, nonpregnant levels. This change in hormone levels can lead to reactions that range from restlessness and irritability to feelings of sadness and hopelessness.

I never thought I would have postpartum depression. After two years of trying to conceive and several attempts at in vitro fertilization, I thought I would be overjoyed when my daughter, Rowan Francis, was born in the spring of 2003. But instead I felt completely overwhelmed. This baby was a stranger to me. I didn't know what to do with her. I didn't feel at all joyful. I attributed feelings of doom to simple fatigue and figured that they would eventually go away. But they didn't; in fact, they got worse.

I couldn't bear the sound of Rowan crying, and I dreaded the moments my husband would bring her to me. I wanted her to disappear. I wanted to disappear. At my lowest points, I thought of swallowing a bottle of pills or jumping out the window of my apartment.

I couldn't believe it when my doctor told me that I was suffering from postpartum depression and gave me a prescription for the antidepressant Paxil. I wasn't thrilled to be taking drugs. In fact, I prematurely stopped taking them and had a relapse that almost led me to drive my car into a wall with Rowan in the backseat. But the drugs, along with weekly therapy sessions, are what saved me - and my family.

Since writing about my experiences with the disease, I have been approached by many women who have told me their stories and thanked me for opening up about a topic that is often not discussed because of fear, shame or lack of support and information. Experts estimate that one in 10 women suffer, usually in silence, with this treatable disease. We are living in an era of so-called family values, yet because almost all of the postnatal focus is on the baby, mothers are overlooked and left behind to endure what can be very dark times.

And comments like those made by Tom Cruise are a disservice to mothers everywhere. To suggest that I was wrong to take drugs to deal with my depression, and that instead I should have taken vitamins and exercised shows an utter lack of understanding about postpartum depression and childbirth in general.

If any good can come of Mr. Cruise's ridiculous rant, let's hope that it gives much-needed attention to a serious disease. Perhaps now is the time to call on doctors, particularly obstetricians and pediatricians, to screen for postpartum depression. After all, during the first three months after childbirth, you see a pediatrician at least three times. While pediatricians are trained to take care of children, it would make sense for them to talk with new mothers, ask questions and inform them of the symptoms and treatment should they show signs of postpartum depression.

In a strange way, it was comforting to me when my obstetrician told me that my feelings of extreme despair and my suicidal thoughts were directly tied to a biochemical shift in my body. Once we admit that postpartum is a serious medical condition, then the treatment becomes more available and socially acceptable. With a doctor's care, I have since tapered off the medication, but without it, I wouldn't have become the loving parent I am today.

So, there you have it. It's not the history of psychiatry, but it is my history, personal and real.

In my teens I was a huge fan of Brooke Shields. I thought she was incredibly beautiful.

Now that we are both adults Brooke has once again become a heroine for me. Brooke is doing a tremendous job on behalf of mothers. It takes courage to come out and admit what she went through, and even more strength of character to stand her ground. I respect and admire Brooke more than ever.

It's sad it's even come to this. She does not have to justify her choices to anybody, least of all Tom Cruise.

I have seen her speak about her post partum depression in an interview. She was remarkably eloquent, and did a wonderful job advocating help for so many women who have not yet sought it out.

Tom isn't good enough to hold her shit in a shovel.

Palace_Hero said:
Tom Cruise was right.
what.gif

Palace_Hero said:
Tom Cruise was right.

On what account? That post partum depression can be resolved with vitamins? If so, please phone me sometime in the future when you tell that to the mother of your children. If you are not whacked in the face with a wet fish, I'll be seriously surprised.

Palace_Hero said:
Tom Cruise was right.

And what Shield's noted for Cruise also applies to you:

While Mr. Cruise says that Mr. Lauer and I do not "understand the history of psychiatry," I'm going to take a wild guess and say that Mr. Cruise has never suffered from postpartum depression.

I have to laugh when I think that if Tom Cruise ever gets a woman pregnant and she goes through postpartum depression.
If he insists that she go through with it simply with vitamins and exercise...
I see her popping a Centrum "Postnatal" and throwing Tom Cruise off the 58th floor of their apartment window...

:evil:

Palace_Hero said:
Sorry I should have elaborated.

Tom Cruise was right in proposing to Katie Holmes. It is the only thing that will keep his career afloat.

You have a point. It will be interesting to see how many big blockbusters Tom makes after War of the Worlds. I think his stock may be falling.

nbcrusader said:

Too bad he didn't go into his solution for the ancient aliens living in his body...

The way he's been jumping around lately, I think they might be all trying to get out. :yikes:

nbcrusader said:

Too bad he didn't go into his solution for the ancient aliens living in his body...

$380K worth of auditing should do it!

well seeing tom cruise would never dip his pen in the ink to actually understand what its like to have a wife with depression from childbirth then he should shut his big 'my mouth has twice as many teeth as everyone else' FACE and piss off.

go back to brainwashing some more people and get your sneakers and kool aid ready. freak.

But isnt there some other solution then taking drugs to defeat this? Maybe not just vitamins and excercise,(which was wrong to say) but I do not think that drugs is the answer for depression, theres got to be another way around it, so Cruise has a little point, you think?

macphisto23 said:
But isnt there some other solution then taking drugs to defeat this? Maybe not just vitamins and excercise,(which was wrong to say) but I do not think that drugs is the answer for depression, theres got to be another way around it, so Cruise has a little point, you think?

The idea that depression (or any other mental illness) should not be treated with drugs (that's not to say they are the ONLY way), is very odd to me. Very few people are going to tell the heart patient "don't take digitalis because it's a poison" (which it is), but they have no problem telling someone with a mental illness that there must be some other way.

Yes, antidepressants and other meds for mental illness can be dangerous or fatal if taken incorrectly or by the wrong person, but so can digitalis (and damn near every other durg or even food known). But if taken correctly, by the right person, antidepressants, like digitalis (which helped not only keep my mum alive for decades, but also helped her to have a fine quality of life), can be absolute lifesavers.

macphisto23 said:

What voodoo curse is strong enough to beat the extremely strong effects of post partum depression? What Easter Island statue dance can ward off the imbalance making many women want to kill themselves?

Look, I should not be so flippant here. Sorry. But mate, there is no other option currently. Tom Cruise has no point. Vitamins are a ridiculous answer to this form of depression. I can't speak for other forms, so he might have a point there, I dont know. I do know postpartum depression personally, and taking a handful of Centrum every morning would not have saved me. Ever had your little baby strapped into a car seat, pulled up at yet another set of lights and thought (yet again) 'what if I didn't brake...' while contemplating the D-Double truck in front of you? I'm not after sympathy, please dont get me wrong. Knowledge would be a most excellent bonus. My depression did it's best to ruin my marriage (we've since begun the recovery of that), it nearly killed me, and it robbed me of many months of bonding with my daughter. The effects it has are immense. It has far reaching consequences. Drugs aren't a good choice, no one wishes to seek them out; but everyone, don't fuck around with it. Take the drugs, get help, find the want to live again. Tom Cruise is a fucking nutcase. I implore anyone out there to ignore his ridiculous beliefs. This condition is too strong to be helped by much else other than drugs which are designed to help you simply get back on track, and counselling.

macphisto23 said:

Having known someone who is a manic/depressive I totally disagee. Medicaton helps make life "liveable."

I applaud Brooke for talking about her depression. Mental illness is too often treated as a taboo subject.

counseling helps alot; that should probably be the first thing someone should try if depressed.

....and tom cruise sucks.

Angela Harlem said:

What voodoo curse is strong enough to beat the extremely strong effects of post partum depression? What Easter Island statue dance can ward off the imbalance making many women want to kill themselves?

Look, I should not be so flippant here. Sorry. But mate, there is no other option currently. Tom Cruise has no point. Vitamins are a ridiculous answer to this form of depression. I can't speak for other forms, so he might have a point there, I dont know. I do know postpartum depression personally, and taking a handful of Centrum every morning would not have saved me. Ever had your little baby strapped into a car seat, pulled up at yet another set of lights and thought (yet again) 'what if I didn't brake...' while contemplating the D-Double truck in front of you? I'm not after sympathy, please dont get me wrong. Knowledge would be a most excellent bonus. My depression did it's best to ruin my marriage (we've since begun the recovery of that), it nearly killed me, and it robbed me of many months of bonding with my daughter. The effects it has are immense. It has far reaching consequences. Drugs aren't a good choice, no one wishes to seek them out; but everyone, don't fuck around with it. Take the drugs, get help, find the want to live again. Tom Cruise is a fucking nutcase. I implore anyone out there to ignore his ridiculous beliefs. This condition is too strong to be helped by much else other than drugs which are designed to help you simply get back on track, and counselling.

Angela Harlem Could you e-mail me? I'm assuming being a premium member you can get my addy If not let me know.

Thanks

Angela Harlem, thank you for your candid response, and many hugs to you for being so honest. Your experience with postpartum depression echoes my own experience I had 7 years ago to a "t". Mine lasted for well over a year, and I am ashamed now to admit it - but I thought I was strong enough to beat the depression and keep it to myself, bottled up inside. I have never been so wrong about anything in my entire life.

During that time, I watched a lot of daytime talkshows, like the ones Tom Cruise appears on. It sounds silly, but in my fragile state I became addicted to them, it was like I trying to find answers and tried to take what those talkshows said as gospel. I really thought they were there to help me see the world from a different perspective and in turn, make me feel better about myself. I think by design (and clever scheduling) many of those shows prey on mainly women who are in a vulnerable state like I was. Mothers, and those who are unemployed for whatever reason whether they are simply out of work or are too sick to work. Some shows are crapfests like the Jenny Jones ones I tuned into all those years ago... yet some others, yes even the reputable Orpah, I'm sorry to say are paved to hell with the best of intentions. There is an agenda and I can only say through my observations that being exposed to those shows on a constant basis like I was do a lot more harm than good. Tom Cruise knows his audience and when they are watching. He knows that chances are, a good portion of people tuning into Oprah have probably just settled their babies down for their afternoon nap. That's why he's saying the things he's saying, he knows his audience. His ideas are dangerous and this makes him a dangerous man because he's a celebrity and people *will* listen to him and take his word as gospel. I'm not too proud to admit that if I heard him babbling when I was at the peak of my depression, I might have taken his word for it. He is preying on women in a vulnerable state.

And it makes me sick.

Back
Top Bottom