Britney Spears latest adventure

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
yes, Bono is bigger than, say, Robert Plant, but Bono doesn't take his shirt off during performances (anymore :wink: ) and writhe around on stage with female dancers.

i agree with the overall sentiment -- too much emphasis is placed on weight, etc. but i'd also argue that it's way, way better than it was 10 years ago and there are many women who are considered "hot" and curvey. though i'd also add that most of the women who spring to mind -- Beyonce, J-Lo, Jennifer Hudson -- are all women of color. white girls gotta be skinny, it seems.

but whether this is good or bad, right or wrong, fair or not, absoultely everyone on Team Britney knows this and has to deal with it. don't put her in something that isn't flattering.

now, if she had gone out and kicked some ass, would we still be hearing "fat"? not as much, i don't think. we'd hear that she doesn't look like she did, but in a performance where there was so much to criticize, one that fell flat on virtually every level, this was one thing.

i do worry, however, about those awful headlines. and i'd worry about the poor girl getting an eating disorder. it might seem hypocritical of me, since i'm harping on her choice of dress, but i don't actually think she's fat. and i'm not writing headlines about this.

i'm just saying that everyone should know better. and there was a whole lot that was worse about her performance than a few jiggles.

i genuinely feel bad for her.

ylimeU2 said:

I think the more important question in regards to that is what is wrong with the photographers?

Yes, she could wear panties, but there are plenty of people out there who don't. In my mind, stuff like that is the fault of the people who are taking the pics, not the person being photgraphed.
woah, I agree the paparazzi are pretty much scum, but she KNOWS they'll be there and yet she wears a short skirt, forgets her panties, and gets up legs spread :slant: Personal responsibility is what it's all about.

kafrun said:
Personal responsibility is what it's all about.

Agree 100% but does anybody believe that they are accountable for their actions these days? It seems like people are always blaming someone else - hence the countless stupid lawsuits and warning labels on everything.

joyfulgirl said:
I honestly did not think she looked "squeezed" into anything. I get that she's not in the same shape she used to be in, but I didn't think she looked like she was wearing something way too small at all.

I thought she looked like what I'd look like if I wore hot pants - they made her look bigger than she actually is. (Which is why I don't wear hot pants. Well, that and the cellulite. And the fact that they're, you know, hot pants. :wink: )

Anything that tight on a normal person with a reasonable amount of body fat is going to look kind of unflattering, I think.

and now Kanye weighs in:

Kanye: MTV exploited Britney for ratings 2 hours, 58 minutes ago

NEW YORK - Kanye West blames MTV for Britney Spears' less than stellar performance at the Video Music Awards.

"Man, they were just trying to get ratings, and they knew she wasn't ready and they exploited her," the 29-year-old rapper said Tuesday on Sirius Satellite Radio's "The Morning Mash Up."

The network made a "bad move" by having the troubled pop star open Sunday's event in Las Vegas, said West, who feels he should have kicked off the show with "Stronger," the first single from his new album, "Graduation."

"They exploited her, they played me and I really don't mess with MTV," he said.

Spears, 25, looked unprepared while performing her new song, "Gimme More," to a bewildered audience of her music industry peers. She seemed nervous and, at times, stopped singing altogether.

West said he wanted to perform "Stronger" on the show's main stage — where R&B hotshot Chris Brown wowed the crowd with Michael Jackson-esque dance moves — but complied when he was asked to host a suite party.

West said it was a blow to the ego when Justin Timberlake, who also hosted a suite party, ended up "on the big stage" to give the closing performance with Timbaland and Nelly Furtado.

"Those are the big things, and you know what I do man, I really made the song `Stronger,' you know, for stadiums," he said.

MTV spokesman David French didn't immediately return a phone call from The Associated Press seeking comment.

West — who threw a tantrum backstage after losing all five categories for which he was nominated — said he has bonded with 50 Cent over what they view as disrespectful behavior from MTV.

"So why do you have me do `Stronger' in a suite, but you end the show with Justin?" he said. "I looked at 50 like, yo, we need to help each other as much as possible."

50 Cent has said he'd stop making solo records if West's new album outsells his "Curtis" CD in their first week out. Both albums were released Tuesday.

It's funny to watch the same tabloid switch between "SHOCKINGLY Thin Stars!!!! Is Angie wasting away??? Brad reveals his fears about her anorexia!!!" and "BEACHED WHALES!! Cellulite! Rolls!! What was Keira thinking in this bikini??" from week to week. :rolleyes:

I think it's strange how many people applauded Kirstie Alley for wearing a bikini on Oprah after she lost weight or talk about how much they like "curvy" women, yet Britney "should know better" than to wear a bikini and that's "how the business works." I don't understand the attitude of "It's really horrible that some people in our society are so looks-obsessed and hold women to ridiculous and arbitrary standards....but, really, she should have known that just how it is and worn something more concealing or lost ten pounds." :huh: I certainly don't think Britney is a feminist icon, but I'd rather see a performer wear something she wants than to know that her team dressed her to conceal industry-determined flaws or conform to a certain expectation.

I guess it just rubs me the wrong way to hear comments about what a woman (or man, for that matter) should wear, regardless of body size.

I don't know why I'm coming to her defense when I've never been a fan, I thought her VMA performance was boring [though it was MTV, and I've seen worse...], and I hated the song. :lol:

If she's proud of her body and wants to flaunt it, fine. Yay for her. But I don't see anything wrong with saying, "You know what? That's unflattering to your figure." :shrug:

But I don't like seeing all the "OMG FATTY" comments, that's just ugly. And I agree with your comments about the weird double-standard in all of this.

I think Tyra Banks also sometimes wears unflattering clothes that make her look bigger than she is. Is she fat? No. Does she wear unflattering outfits sometimes? Yes. That's not a comment on her weight, it's a comment on her fashion choices.

Who says less (clothes) is more. She could have worn more clothing and still looked hot, had she chosen to do so. Wasn't she in jeans and a short white top at rehearsal? And/or she could have worn something tight to make her look "fit & toned" if she wanted to "hide" anything. Whatever...

^^ Exactly. It's pretty obvious that Britney thinks that her body is hot! Otherwise she wouldn't have insisted on wearing that outfit for the whole world to see. I highly doubt that all the press coverage calling her "fat" is going to affect her. It didn't change her when they said that K-Fed was an idiot, that she was an unfit mother, that she was crazy, that she needed to wear underwear, that she needed to go to rehab, etc. Britney has her own image of herself and it's clearly not what the rest of the world sees. So, i don't really think all of this is going to matter much to her. She's gonna keep on being Britney.

Lila64 said:
and now Kanye weighs in:

West said he wanted to perform "Stronger" on the show's main stage — where R&B hotshot Chris Brown wowed the crowd with Michael Jackson-esque dance moves — but complied when he was asked to host a suite party.

West said it was a blow to the ego when Justin Timberlake, who also hosted a suite party, ended up "on the big stage" to give the closing performance with Timbaland and Nelly Furtado.

West — who threw a tantrum backstage after losing all five categories for which he was nominated — said he has bonded with 50 Cent over what they view as disrespectful behavior from MTV.

"So why do you have me do `Stronger' in a suite, but you end the show with Justin?" he said. "I looked at 50 like, yo, we need to help each other as much as possible."

Why didn't he just put in his usual terms..."MTV don't like black people".

Maybe Kanye should realize that Timberlake is a bigger star and draw currently than he is and stop his whining.

More importantly...why am I posting about the likes of Kanye West and Justin Timberlake?

kafrun said:

woah, I agree the paparazzi are pretty much scum, but she KNOWS they'll be there and yet she wears a short skirt, forgets her panties, and gets up legs spread :slant: Personal responsibility is what it's all about.

Yeah, so that makes it okay for the paparazzi to aim their cameras at her vagina? That is far, far more disturbing then her not wearing panties, but you are entitled to think whatever you want, as am I.

I will never understand how you can make the statement that paparazzi are scum and then say its justified to snap a picture like that simply because she isn't wearing underwear.

ultravioletluvv said:
^^ Exactly. It's pretty obvious that Britney thinks that her body is hot! Otherwise she wouldn't have insisted on wearing that outfit for the whole world to see. I highly doubt that all the press coverage calling her "fat" is going to affect her. It didn't change her when they said that K-Fed was an idiot, that she was an unfit mother, that she was crazy, that she needed to wear underwear, that she needed to go to rehab, etc. Britney has her own image of herself and it's clearly not what the rest of the world sees. So, i don't really think all of this is going to matter much to her. She's gonna keep on being Britney.

How do you know some jack ass didn't put her up to wearing it? Because some crappy tabloid said it was her choice? She looked really comfortable up there. Full of confidence. In fact, all of her actions lately just scream confidence. Clearly, she is in total control of her life, and therefore, everyone in the world needs to criticize and ridicule her until she is beaten down completely.

meegannie said:
It's funny to watch the same tabloid switch between "SHOCKINGLY Thin Stars!!!! Is Angie wasting away??? Brad reveals his fears about her anorexia!!!" and "BEACHED WHALES!! Cellulite! Rolls!! What was Keira thinking in this bikini??" from week to week. :rolleyes:

I think it's strange how many people applauded Kirstie Alley for wearing a bikini on Oprah after she lost weight or talk about how much they like "curvy" women, yet Britney "should know better" than to wear a bikini and that's "how the business works." I don't understand the attitude of "It's really horrible that some people in our society are so looks-obsessed and hold women to ridiculous and arbitrary standards....but, really, she should have known that just how it is and worn something more concealing or lost ten pounds." :huh: I certainly don't think Britney is a feminist icon, but I'd rather see a performer wear something she wants than to know that her team dressed her to conceal industry-determined flaws or conform to a certain expectation.

I guess it just rubs me the wrong way to hear comments about what a woman (or man, for that matter) should wear, regardless of body size.

I don't know why I'm coming to her defense when I've never been a fan, I thought her VMA performance was boring [though it was MTV, and I've seen worse...], and I hated the song. :lol:

This just needed to be quoted. :up:

And maybe Kayne's statement was in part whining, but he has a point. MTV put her on there for ratings. Not that they are to blame, but it was a ploy. Everyone knew she was going to bomb and MTV knew people would tune in just to see it. And that is just what happened.

People need to leave that girl alone and let her get her shit together. Hounding her relentlessly isn't going to do anything. Yeah, she's a celebrity. But no one deserves to be treated the way she is.

ylimeU2 said:
She looked really comfortable up there. Full of confidence.

Really? Were we watching the same performance?

I do agree with you about the MTV thing, though. They've made no secret about all the things they're trying to do to get more viewers. They'd throw their own grandmother under the bus to get higher ratings for the VMAs.

Speaking of MTV, I caught a glimpse of John Norris during the pre-show thing ... what the hell happened to him? Has he looked like that for a while now?

ylimeU2 said:

How do you know some jack ass didn't put her up to wearing it? Because some crappy tabloid said it was her choice? She looked really comfortable up there. Full of confidence. In fact, all of her actions lately just scream confidence. Clearly, she is in total control of her life, and therefore, everyone in the world needs to criticize and ridicule her until she is beaten down completely.

I suppose I can't be 100% sure that it was her choice, but based on the kind of outfits she has been seen out in lately, and knowing the unlikelihood that somebody "put her up to wearing" all of those outfits, i'm fairly confident that she chose to wear it. She's fired all of the people around her that were actually good for her career, so yes, i believe that she is in complete control of what she is doing. Nobody tells Britney what to do or what to wear.

Last edited:
I read that MTV had a corset outfit for her and she didnt want to wear it. She wanted to wear her own outfit.

corianderstem said:

Speaking of MTV, I caught a glimpse of John Norris during the pre-show thing ... what the hell happened to him? Has he looked like that for a while now?

So, I'm not the only one who noticed. The whole time I was looking at him I was thinking, "John Norris...we all know you're 105 years old. The eyeliner and blond 'do aren't fooling anyone.":lol:

I heard Kurt Loder got a mohawk and started shopping at Hot Topic. :happy:

Ah, Kurt Loder. Is he still there, or did they sack him for being 6,236 years older than their target demographic?

Lila64 said:
and now Kanye weighs in:

Kanye: MTV exploited Britney for ratings 2 hours, 58 minutes ago

NEW YORK - Kanye West blames MTV for Britney Spears' less than stellar performance at the Video Music Awards.

"Man, they were just trying to get ratings, and they knew she wasn't ready and they exploited her," the 29-year-old rapper said Tuesday on Sirius Satellite Radio's "The Morning Mash Up."

The network made a "bad move" by having the troubled pop star open Sunday's event in Las Vegas, said West, who feels he should have kicked off the show with "Stronger," the first single from his new album, "Graduation."

"They exploited her, they played me and I really don't mess with MTV," he said.

Spears, 25, looked unprepared while performing her new song, "Gimme More," to a bewildered audience of her music industry peers. She seemed nervous and, at times, stopped singing altogether.

"Those are the big things, and you know what I do man, I really made the song `Stronger,' you know, for stadiums," he said.

MTV spokesman David French didn't immediately return a phone call from The Associated Press seeking comment.

50 Cent has said he'd stop making solo records if West's new album outsells his "Curtis" CD in their first week out. Both albums were released Tuesday.

Poor Kanye.

I'll admit, I'm definetly not in great shape. Me criticizing Britney for being out of shape would be like the pot calling the kettle black. And for someone who had 2 kids in 12 months, she doesn't look bad. Something that showed off her curves but hid the not so flattering parts would have looked good, in a classy-sexy way.Then again, when was the last time you heard class and Britney Spears in the same sentence?

Back
Top Bottom