Britney Spears latest adventure

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Allanah said:

I agree, but here's what I can't figure out -- anyone ever see clips of her singing when she was a little girl on those "Before They Were Stars" shows? She actually used to be able to sing when she was 10 (like on Star Search: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NUunpave4rM ). What the hell happened? Other than vodka and cheetohs, that is.

She sounded amazing there!:ohmy: I think she's tried to oversexualize her voice, and it winds up in too low and narrow of a register. There's a song she wrote right before she got pregnant (I think it's the only one she's written) that's very stripped down and beautiful. It's not extremely similar to the clip you posted, but it's the most natural I've ever heard her.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GXsjf3_o3MY

Irvine511 said:
she's "fat' compared to the expectations that are in place for singing/dancing performers who are in near-Olympic calibur shape and are surrounded by team of personal chefs, trainers, and masseusses.

The difference is she wasn't performing for years, and had two babies. The same standards don't apply compared to someone like Rihanna or Beyonce who are in the spotlight constantly, and didn't have kids.

:huh: I think only in the weight-obsessed US is her current figure "fat". Factor in that she had 2 kids, and I think that's a very good figure.

There's a difference in being out of shape/less toned and overweight, which the word fat suggests. She may be the former, but not the latter.

U2girl said:

:huh: I think only in the weight-obsessed US is her current figure "fat". Factor in that she had 2 kids, and I think that's a very good figure.

:up: I don't even have kids, and I'd love to have a figure like that.

The girl needs to start wearing underwear! If she were Christina Aguilera, she could get away with it, but she's not. Thankfully, Christina has blossomed into a classy woman while Britney has regressed to flea market trash.

Britney's management or record company should've never allowed her to perform at the VMA's. They should've seen that her dreadful performance could possibly do irreperable damage to future record scales.

U2girl said:

The difference is she wasn't performing for years, and had two babies. The same standards don't apply compared to someone like Rihanna or Beyonce who are in the spotlight constantly, and didn't have kids.

There's a difference in being out of shape/less toned and overweight, which the word fat suggests. She may be the former, but not the latter.

i think you're misunderstanding -- she isn't fat. she looks great.

but, by pop star standards, she is fat. and all she needed to do was to wear something different and not a bikini.

and the trend of ultra-skinny models is a european import (see Kate Moss).

Page Six says

September 11, 2007 -- Britney Spears has no one to blame but herself for her disastrous performance at the MTV Video Music Awards Sunday night. The lip-synching pop tart showed up for her big comeback late, unprepared and with a drink in her hand.

On Saturday, the day before the VMAs, Spears was scheduled to arrive at rehearsal at around 1 p.m. Our spy said, "She didn't even get to Las Vegas until 4:30 p.m. It was ridiculous . . . The production people at MTV were freaking out . . . Nobody can tell Britney what to do anymore. No one can control her. She is a mess."

To make matters worse, when she arrived in Vegas, Spears didn't go straight to rehearsals.

"She went to her hotel room and ordered a bunch of food and some frozen margaritas," the spy said. "She came down, like, an hour later with a frozen margarita in her hand."

When Spears preformed on Sunday, she stumbled a couple times and couldn't remember the words she was lip-syncing. She covered her mouth at one point but by the end of the song had simply given up any pretense of singing.

"The dance number was spectacular - without her," said our spy at rehearsal. "When the stand-in was rehearsing with the dancers, in the hours they were all waiting for her, it was amazing. Then Britney showed up and refused to do anything. The dancers were supposed to lift and twirl her in the air a few times, and that just wasn't going to happen. The more complicated dance moves had to be erased because she couldn't do them."

Meanwhile, Spears was agitated because she didn't like the outfit MTV had selected for her.

"MTV wanted her to wear a corset outfit. It would have looked great and covered a lot of things up, but she hated it and didn't think it was sexy enough."

Instead, Spears changed into a spangly bra-and-underwear outfit she'd brought with her that emphasized her weight gain over the last year.

MTV execs weren't the only ones worried about Spears' impending debacle. Another spy said, "The dancers were texting pals, asking them to pray for them. They were worried."

After Spears performed at the VMAs, she allegedly broke down in tears but then partied until 3 a.m. She changed outfits several times and again was photographed by paparazzi wearing no underwear.

A rep for Spears didn't return e-mails.

Last edited:
Irvine511 said:

i think you're misunderstanding -- she isn't fat. she looks great.

but, by pop star standards, she is fat. and all she needed to do was to wear something different and not a bikini.

and the trend of ultra-skinny models is a european import (see Kate Moss).

If she looks great, why are the "fat" comments there ?

Less toned and in shape than "pop standards", but that's not a surprise given the circumstances. She can still wear a bikini, whether or not it's appropriate is a different matter.

There are skinny models everywhere, not just Europe (it's irrelevant where it started). But no other country is as looks and weight obsessed as the US. I doubt we'd be getting "fat" thrown around as easily elsewhere.

ultravioletluvv said:
Well, it looks like she's still got at least one fan... This video is too funny not to share.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kHmvkRoEowc
Is that Alexis Arquette??

WTF is with people who post this kind of stuff?
"Anyone who has a problem with Britney, you deal with ME!"...so should I come to your parent's basement where your youtube studio is set up and have a fight with you if I think Britney is a train wreck?

Exhibit A that Al Gore inventing the internet is not as good as sliced bread.

U2girl said:
There are skinny models everywhere, not just Europe (it's irrelevant where it started). But no other country is as looks and weight obsessed as the US. I doubt we'd be getting "fat" thrown around as easily elsewhere.

This is true, but, unluckily for Britney, this happened in the states. And the expectation is that if a pop star comes on stage in a bikini, she's going to be skinny and toned. If you're not in 'pop star bikini' shape, then you wear something else. She had to have known that beforehand. Her people had to have known that beforehand.

But all that is besides the point. Even if Britney was as toned as she was 5 years ago, the number would've still been a disaster. She looked lost up there.

Well I'm taller and a few sizes bigger, so I am definitely obese :shrug:

Yes she is a pop star and built her career on her looks and her body, but there is still the element of targeting/attacking a woman for her weight. It's not necessary, and the standard doesn't exist just for pop stars. She might not be in pop star bikini shape (to me she looks good but I get it), but she's certainly not fat.

MrsSpringsteen said:
Well I'm taller and a few sizes bigger, so I am definitely obese :shrug:

Yes she is a pop star and built her career on her looks and her body, but there is still the element of targeting/attacking a woman for her weight. It's not necessary, and the standard doesn't exist just for pop stars. She might not be in pop star bikini shape (to me she looks good but I get it), but she's certainly not fat.

I agree. I'm incredibly disgusted by the whole thing. I don't recall seeing headlines like "Lard and Clear!" in reference to Bono, who I think we can all agree has always been heavier and more out of shape than most hot rock star men.

I don't think Britney is "fat" by any means. But i do think that by wearing that outfit on national TV, she knew exactly what she was getting into and she deserves all the comments that come her way. She's been in the business long enough to understand how it works. The girl has obviously lost her mind. She keeps on making one bad decision after another. She's completely self-destructing and she doesn't seem to care. I feel bad for her because she obviously needs help, but i don't feel bad that people are calling her fat. Maybe it's the wake up call she needs to stop dressing like a tramp! (maybe, but probably not.)

joyfulgirl said:

I agree. I'm incredibly disgusted by the whole thing. I don't recall seeing headlines like "Lard and Clear!" in reference to Bono, who I think we can all agree has always been heavier and more out of shape than most hot rock star men.

I guess some people would respond to that by saying that Bono hasn't built his career on his looks (though they are an enjoyable side dish :wink: ), so somehow that justifies the opposing close criticism of Britney's weight. I suppose if you could name a male equivalent of Britney in music/entertainment and see if he was subjected to same. Most actresses are expected to be so thin and beautiful-and woe be to them if they have the slightest stomach pooch-they must be pregnant! Or just "fat".

Criticism exists for males in entertainment but it just isn't on the same level, or done with the same intent. The expectation level is just not the same. They will be criticized for so many things before their weight will ever be brought up. For women in entertainment, not just Britney, the weight will be first or nearly first. Look at what happened to Tyra Banks, just to give one example. And she's not even working as a model. It's not just Britney, and it's not just women who built their careers on their bodies. Of course they will also criticize women for being too thin, but that's done in almost a sideshow circus kind of way.

Yes that "lard and clear" is so unfair, but that's the NY Post for you. Clever headlines and all.

I agree that Britney's performance was god-awful, but I feel sorry for her when people criticize her weight. I literally have the same physique as she does, and all the criticism she's getting is making me feel bad about myself.

Pearl said:
I literally have the same physique as she does, and all the criticism she's getting is making me feel bad about myself.

This is precisely why I'm so angry about this.

MrsSpringsteen said:

I guess some people would respond to that by saying that Bono hasn't built his career on his looks (though they are an enjoyable side dish :wink: ), so somehow that justifies the opposing close criticism of Britney's weight. I suppose if you could name a male equivalent of Britney in music/entertainment and see if he was subjected to same. Most actresses are expected to be so thin and beautiful-and woe be to them if they have the slightest stomach pooch-they must be pregnant! Or just "fat".

Criticism exists for males in entertainment but it just isn't on the same level, or done with the same intent. The expectation level is just not the same. They will be criticized for so many things before their weight will ever be brought up. For women in entertainment, not just Britney, the weight will be first or nearly first. Look at what happened to Tyra Banks, just to give one example. And she's not even working as a model. It's not just Britney, and it's not just women who built their careers on their bodies. Of course they will also criticize women for being too thin, but that's done in almost a sideshow circus kind of way.

Yes that "lard and clear" is so unfair, but that's the NY Post for you. Clever headlines and all.

I agree with you completely.

But what about J-lo? Why is she hot and voluptuous while Britney's fat? If Britney's performance had been fantastic, would her weight have been seen in a different light?

joyfulgirl said:

I agree with you completely.

But what about J-lo? Why is she hot and voluptuous while Britney's fat? If Britney's performance had been fantastic, would her weight have been seen in a different light?

Easy. J-Lo has always looked like that. Britney hasn't, so now she is considered a cow. Double standard.

Whatever her problems in life are, being fat isn't one of them.

ylimeU2 said:

Easy. J-Lo has always looked like that. Britney hasn't, so now she is considered a cow. Double standard.

Whatever her problems in life are, being fat isn't one of them.

kafrun said:

k, srsly.. wtf.. is nothing sacred anymore?

what is wrong with that girl???? :|

I think the more important question in regards to that is what is wrong with the photographers?

Yes, she could wear panties, but there are plenty of people out there who don't. In my mind, stuff like that is the fault of the people who are taking the pics, not the person being photgraphed.

You gotta be jokin', right? Bottom Line: If you're Britney Spears you absolutely know that wherever you are, your picture may be taken. I mean, geez, on this thread alone we saw her at the grocery store. Britney has got to learn to wear undergarments. There's no excuse whatsoever.

I think the difference is that if your body is comparable to Britney's these days, would you have made the decision to wear something that makes you look like you're squeezed into something way too small?

Granted, the "fat" comments are undeserved, but I don't think you should feel bad. I fully believe everyone here would have more sense than to wear something so unflattering.

Britney seems to be incapable of making a single good decision these days. Since she's apparently stopped listening to anyone around her, it's no wonder she wore something so completely unflattering.

Anyway. I guess my point is: don't feel bad, Interferencers!

corianderstem said:
I think the difference is that if your body is comparable to Britney's these days, would you have made the decision to wear something that makes you look like you're squeezed into something way too small?

I honestly did not think she looked "squeezed" into anything. I get that she's not in the same shape she used to be in, but I didn't think she looked like she was wearing something way too small at all.

I did, however, think she had a "dead" look in her eyes. Really sad.

Back
Top Bottom