British skiier stripped of Olympic medal for questionable "doping" charge

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sulawesigirl4

Rock n' Roll Doggie ALL ACCESS
I just stumbled across this the other day and it really is sad. I was so happy to see Britain's Alain Baxter win a skiing medal in the slalom in the Winter Games and now it is being taken away from him because (get this) he used an American over-the-counter inhaler that has ingredients that the exact same British product (which he knew was fine) doesn't. In other words, he has been declared as "doping" and having his medal taken away from him because of this. What a crying shame and really a miscarriage of IOC justice, imo.
frown.gif

British Skier Baxter Determined to Clear His Name
Fri Mar 22, 7:47 AM ET
By Adrian Warner

LONDON (Reuters) - British skier Alain Baxter said on Friday that he had come to terms with losing an historic bronze medal from last month's Salt Lake Olympics because of a drug offence but was still determined to clear his name.

Baxter has yet to decide whether to appeal against Thursday's decision by the International Olympic Committee (IOC) to strip him of Britain's first Alpine skiing medal after he tested positive for the prohibited stimulant methamphetamine.

But Baxter told BBC radio: "The next step is to clear my name and get my career back in line again. I do not want to drag it out. The lawyers are taking control of things. (But) I want to concentrate on my skiing career."

Baxter, 28, blames the positive test on a nasal inhaler which he thought was harmless. He had bought the product in the U.S. thinking it was exactly the same as an inhaler he used in Britain.

The Scot, who was welcomed as a hero in his home town of Aviemore in the Highlands after the triumph, wants to show that his sample did not contain a performance-enhancing drug.

The compound methamphetamine exists in two chemical forms. One has no abuse potential while the other is a stimulant. In the interview Baxter denied taking the stimulant speed.

Baxter has the right to take his case to the Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS), which rules on disputes between competitors and sports bodies.

The Scot has been suspended from competition until mid-April and will learn in early June whether he faces a longer ban from international skiing officials.

British Olympic officials said they expected to make a decision in the next couple of weeks on any appeal.

Baxter has been ordered to give his medal back to the IOC by the end of the month. It will be awarded to Austrian Benjamin Raich who finished fourth in the slalom.

Raich, however, said on Friday that he felt no gratification for being awarded his second medal of the Games. Raich, who won a bronze in the combined event at last month's Games, said a medal won on the negotiating table had only limited value.

"I'm accustomed to achieving my successes on the piste," the Tyrolean said.

"I still haven't been told by anyone that the third place in the Olympic slalom actually has been granted to me," the 2001 World Cup slalom champion added.

But, told of Raich's comments, Baxter said: "If I am taken out of the race, the medal is his."

[This message has been edited by sulawesigirl4 (edited 03-22-2002).]

well a rule is a rule.

but common sense must also come into play. if the product is packaged the same as it is in the UK they should let the guy keep his medal. especially if it can be proven that the stuff he tested positive for is of the harmless variety.

glad to see the ioc is spending it's time wisely.

Not to be cynical Sula,
wink.gif
but if this was

a) a North American
and
b) Figure skating

It would be front page news, and yet, strangely, LESS interesting, generally.
smile.gif

[This message has been edited by RufusYoungblood (edited 03-24-2002).]

Back
Top Bottom