British & Irish Lions New Zealand Tour 2005

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

U2NZ

The Fly
Who coming over from the UK and Ireland?
I couldn't get tickets, it's the same deal as trying to tickets to the opening night of a U2 tour. Impossible!

Over a quater of the people in this country (1 million people put their names in) put their names in to a ballot, and if you gat drawn you were allowed to buy 2 tickets. Half of the tickets went to Lions fans, which is fair enough, and I do look forward to seeing you guys. Even seat holders had to give up their seats.

I tried, but didn't get anything, I guess I'll be standoing outside the ground trying to sneak in.

:hyper: Should be great!

I was amused to see the Lions have a game against Manawatu. That game will have a cricket score!

hahaha yeah I know.... though i'd almost think they'd let the fans have a go themselve, while they rest all the players :wink:

Well, Cullen once played for Manawatu ... maybe he'll return and play a blinder? :wink:

hahaha yeah true, he will sneak on the Irish plane to England, the team will come to NZ, where makes a mysterious dissappearance in Wellington, and changes his look as he runs on the field for Manawatu. Score Manawatu 15 Lions 10 :drool:

This thread needs reviving, methinks.

Southland next, and then the first Test.

Edit: List of players selected to play Southland, and therefore NOT going to play against the All Blacks next week:

Murphy
Cueto
Henson
Hickie
O'Gara
Cooper
Stevens
Titterell
Hayes
Shaw
O'Callaghan
Moody
Williams
Owen

Bulloch
Sheridan
Easterby
Cusiter
Hodgson
Shanklin
D'Arcy

Last edited:
And so we have the Test squads!

Lions: Robinson, Lewsey, O'Driscoll, Wilkinson, Thomas, S Jones, Peel, Jenkins, Byrne, White, O'Connell, Kay, Hill, Back, Corry
Replacements: Thompson, Rowntree, Grewcock, R Jones, Dawson, Greenwood, Horgan

New Zealand: MacDonald, Howlett, Umaga, Mauger, Sivivatu, Carter, Marshall, Woodcock, Mealamu, Hayman, Jack, Williams, Collins, McCaw, So'oialo
Replacements: Witcombe, Somerville, Gibbes, Lauaki, Kelleher, Muliaina, Gear

I do hope the Lions win but I don't think they will. They've been very unconvincing this tour and the team selection seems way off.

Lions will probably lose, but not by as much as the NZ media are saying.

I would love to see the excuses they (the NZ media) come up with if the Lions somehow pull off a miracle.

financeguy said:

I would love to see the excuses they (the NZ media) come up with if the Lions somehow pull off a miracle.

They will say "Oh well we lost, and we probably deserved to by keeping lard arse Marshall at scrum half". If NZ lose, a major reason will be Marshalls slow ball.

yertle-the-turtle said:
And so we have the Test squads!

New Zealand: MacDonald, Howlett, Umaga, Mauger, Sivivatu, Carter, Marshall, Woodcock, Mealamu, Hayman, Jack, Williams, Collins, McCaw, So'oialo
Replacements: Witcombe, Somerville, Gibbes, Lauaki, Kelleher, Muliaina, Gear

Mistake 1: Marshall for Kellerhet
Mistake 2: No Spencer

These could prove costly.

Nice of Justin Marshall to check on BOD when he was being stretchered off. Good man.

Not so nice that BOD was in that situation in the first place, although I don't think he would've made much difference.

yertle-the-turtle said:
Not so nice that BOD was in that situation in the first place, although I don't think he would've made much difference.

The Lions would probably still have lost. Maybe not by as big a margin.

The Lions did look a tad lost when O'Driscoll went off. But truly the Blacks were so well drilled - it was a fatae comple...

The next game will be a lot closer I predict now thats the Lions know what to expect - there is more room for movement game plan wise on there behalf. But damn the Kiwis are strong.

I was dissapointed Chris Jack wasn't sin binned for tackling in the air - that was disgusting. Nearly as bad as the completely offside tackle!

That ref was pretty amusing in an 'Allo 'Allo sort of way.

"Alright! You are ze capitaine now! Play wiz your 'ead!"

Also anyone see the SA-France match? A chicken wandered onto the pitch for the last five minutes. Good stuff.

:wave:

Goodbye O'Driscoll, the Blacks always like to seperate the boys from the men.

I jest, O'Driscoll is probably on of the better centres the game has seen in the past 10 years. Certinally better than any NZ have produced.

Well I think that tana must have taken him out on orders from his family to make him proud as the new 'best center' in the world.

As much as tackle was bad, I even think it was worse the citing didn't even want to watch it or take any notice.

Haha we were in town after midnight, and it was sooo packed that we had to wait 2 and half hours in line outside in the snow to get into the pub. Lol thanks lions fans for making the night memorable.

The Manuatu game we are all anticipating, well it wasn't exactly a cricket score, though I have worse scores in a cricket game :wink:

Also I predicted to some that Clive had put too many English on the starting line-up, and well after their performance in the 6 nations, it was predictabe the Welsh and Irish fans would get annoyed after their dominance in the 6 nations bar France.

U2NZ said:
Well I think that tana must have taken him out on orders from his family to make him proud as the new 'best center' in the world.

As much as tackle was bad, I even think it was worse the citing didn't even want to watch it or take any notice.

Haha we were in town after midnight, and it was sooo packed that we had to wait 2 and half hours in line outside in the snow to get into the pub. Lol thanks lions fans for making the night memorable.

You have no idea how insanely jealous I am that you were in that environment over there. The Lions series here treated with such contempt. "The Wallabies could easily beat the Lions, they aren't even good" most Australians think. Thats why several of them are fucked. (I don't generally swear but that sentance pisses me off)

Tana has never been "that" good a player for us. I mean he has been acceptable and pretty good by world standards - but he is nothing more than a glorified winger - he sorely lacks any quality ball skills - Bunce vs Umaga is kinda like a sad joke in that respect.

yertle-the-turtle said:
Manawatu will bat next...

I rang my father who is currently in Auckland, I asked him what the song the Manawatu/Lions game was as I had been out...

This is the general vibe of that part of the conversation

timothius: What was the score?

dad: 109 to 6

timothius: Oh well at least the Lions got some points. Thats three more than last time, theyre progressing.

dad: You're serious aren't you?

Anyway here are the squads -

Lions: J Lewsey, J Robinson, G Thomas (capt), G Henson, S Williams, J Wilkinson, D Peel, G Jenkins, S Thompson, J White, P O'Connell, D O'Callaghan, S Easterby, L Moody, R Jones.
Replacements: S Byrne, G Rowntree, M Corry, M Williams, M Dawson, S Jones, S Horgan.

NZ: M Muliaina, R Gear, T Umaga (capt), A Mauger, S Sivivatu, D Carter, B Kelleher, T Woodcock, K Mealamu, G Somerville, C Jack, A Williams, J Collins, R McCaw, R So'oialo.
Replacements: D Witcombe, C Johnstone, J Gibbes, S Lauaki, J Marshall, M Nonu, L MacDonald.

Possibly, but I still can't see any other result than an All Blacks win, with the Lions getting a face-saving victory in the third Test to make sure it's not a whitewash.

It's really nothing to do with the selection, but more to do with the fact the ABs are way too powerful. That said I still don't think that's the best team SCW is putting out (Cusiter for me is the big omission, he should be on the bench at least) to give the Lions a fighting chance. Who knows, they may prove me wrong. I hope they do, personally.

Thank you, Gareth Thomas, and thank you Lions for giving me 10 minutes of good cheer before it all went wrong.

The All Blacks were utterly brilliant though. I'd like to say Carter was magnificent but truth be told they were all superb.

I am hesitant to say it... but I do honestly think we may be at the beggining of a huge era of dominance for the All Blacks. I think Graham Henry may be just the man to march from here onto the illusive World Cup victory. :bow:

Carter was amazing, Kellerher also brilliant (after 10 minutes).

Well the Lions did play better and so did the All Blacks. I think it was a game where none of the Lions players knew what to do after they were beginning to trail behind. Well I have to say go the Lions against the Aucklanders, being a Cantab and all.

Back
Top Bottom