Brest, Belarus Superthread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Confession: I have not yet heard Fear of a Blank Planet. It was a new album when I was first introduced to the band and I was wary of starting there, so I never got around to it. I also haven't heard The Sky Moves Sideways or Signify, so keep that in mind.

I'm kind of inclined to tell you to listen to Signify first out of those three ... I rate it the lowest as a whole, but you should love Waiting Phase One.

That said, if you want something along the lines of In Absentia or Deadwing, FOABP is the place to be, especially Anesthetize, which is amazing.

And The Sky Moves Sideways is how to record a fucking good Pink Floyd covers album without actually covering any of their songs.

Deform To Form A Star, No Part Of Me, and Postcard are much more what I expected from this album than the first two tracks.

I'm kind of inclined to tell you to listen to Signify first out of those three ... I rate it the lowest as a whole, but you should love Waiting Phase One.

That said, if you want something along the lines of In Absentia or Deadwing, FOABP is the place to be, especially Anesthetize, which is amazing.

And The Sky Moves Sideways is how to record a fucking good Pink Floyd covers album without actually covering any of their songs.

Signify was released during PT's classic period...all the best stuff seems to start around there. The reviews in general aren't their most positive though. TSMS will be good if I'm feeling first wave prog at the moment, but doesn't seem to be the general first choice.

I think I will listen to Fear of a Blank Planet next.

Actually, I didn't care much for Postcard...felt a little dull in a Snow Patrol kind of way. And then the interlude was meh. Remainder is kicking my ass now though.

Signify was released during PT's classic period...all the best stuff seems to start around there. The reviews in general aren't their most positive though. TSMS will be good if I'm feeling first wave prog at the moment, but doesn't seem to be the general first choice.

I think I will listen to Fear of a Blank Planet next.

Actually, I didn't care much for Postcard...felt a little dull in a Snow Patrol kind of way. And then the interlude was meh. Remainder is kicking my ass now though.

Yeah, this is the thing about Signify, it's a classic example of an album with some great tracks that just doesn't quite click as a whole. Waiting Phase One, Sever, Sleep Of No Dreaming, Every Home Is Wired, and Dark Matter are the highlights for me. Some of the other stuff is a bit plodding and overdone, though.

Remainder didn't stick out to me much at all the first time around, but this time it's sounding pretty great. Though is it just me, or is SW really trying to be a King Crimson fanboy in places here? I guess it's not just me judging by some of the more negative reviews on RYM.

Yeah, this is the thing about Signify, it's a classic example of an album with some great tracks that just doesn't quite click as a whole. Waiting Phase One, Sever, Sleep Of No Dreaming, Every Home Is Wired, and Dark Matter are the highlights for me. Some of the other stuff is a bit plodding and overdone, though.

Remainder didn't stick out to me much at all the first time around, but this time it's sounding pretty great. Though is it just me, or is SW really trying to be a King Crimson fanboy in places here? I guess it's not just me judging by some of the more negative reviews on RYM.

Robert Fripp plays on this album, doesn't he? I'm sure his presence has an influence. I love King Crimson, so I don't mind.

Belle de Jour >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Grace For Drowning

SW's mates with Fripp, so it's not surprising. Not sure if Fripp plays? I've no idea what the credits are.

Belle De Jour is the first of the interlude tracks that's worth a damn.

We're going to need a new thread soon. I totally had a great location but now I can't remember it.

Mentioned collaborations to the album so far include Nic France on drums, Steve Hackett on lead guitar, Robert Fripp,[8] Tony Levin, Nick Beggs and Trey Gunn on warr guitar, Theo Travis and Jordan Rudess,[9] and some jazz musicians as mentioned above. However, no context for each participation have been revealed yet.

Hackett's in there somewhere??

Jordan Rudess is in there somewhere? I thought I would've noticed his trademark godawful circus keyboards the first time around!

Hahaha

I also like the nondescript "jazz musicians" that Wilson supposedly hired. He's not doing this halfway.

Well the jazz influence definitely isn't hiding on some of these songs.

Index was pretty good. Oh god, here's Raider II.

Working on a new thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom