Braves vs. Cubs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Chizip said:
here and now the cubs have won nothing yet

Yeah, that's right. They haven't won ANYTHING. Again, Chizzer, I don't think the Cardinals are playing tomorrow. Must mean the Cubs have won SOMETHING. Cardinals, nothing.

looking at the two teams currently in the playoffs with the longest histories of losing... the cubs and the red sox... you can see the huge philisophical difference between the fans of the two teams. red sox fans won't be happy with anything short of a world series title... thus why they're the most miserable fans on the face of the earth. cubs fans have such a history of being bad that just making the playoffs is a success for them. they are, after all, the only team in baseball history to lead the league in attendance while finishing in last place.

and as for the most world championships... here's the list (teams like the a's, giants, dodgers, braves have totals from all cities they've played in combined, while the rangers total includes 1 title when they were still the washington senators).

Yankees 26
Athletics 9
Cardinals 9
Dodgers 6
Red Sox 5
Reds 5
Giants 5
Pirates 5
Tigers 4
Orioles 3
Braves 3
White Sox 2
Indians 2
Twins 2
Rangers 2
Cubs 2
Mets 2
Angels 1
Royals 1
Diamondbacks 1
Marlins 1
Phillies 1
Brewers 0
Mariners 0
Browns 0
Devil Rays 0
Rockies 0
Astros 0
Expos 0
Padres 0

and for my money... the braves always have the best pitching and lose... this year they don't, so they'll probably win. plus the cubs pitching is very young and unexperienced... so as much as i dislike the braves, and i'll be rooting for the cubs (i wanna see cubs red sox in the series... just to see if the world ends)... if i were a betting man, i'd say braves in 4

I think it shoud be Twins with three and Rangers with 1.

The Twins were Senators before. The Sens were then an expansion team, that moved again, next to Texas.

[q]How they got there: The Atlanta Braves

September 29, 2003
JERSEY CITY, New Jersey (Ticker) - Three reasons why the Atlanta Braves were able to capture the National League East Division:

1) Offense, offense and more offense - No team in the National League has as potent a lineup and the Braves have just pounded the opposition this season. :macdevil: It starts at the top with great table-setters in Rafael Furcal and Marcus Giles. The middle of the lineup borders on ridiculous and Vinny Castilla at the end always provides the team a slugger's chance. The Braves feature total balance as six players reached the 20-homer plateau - the only other National League team to accomplish the feat was the 1965 Milwaukee Braves.

2) A healthy Javy - The Braves' backstop has been among the biggest surprises in the sport this season, putting together one of the greatest offensive seasons ever by a catcher. He already has established career highs in all the key offensive categories and his bat is so important to the Atlanta offense that there is no questioning the decision to start him in the postseason games Greg Maddux starts. [/q]

capt.atf10209291516.cubs_braves_atf102.jpg

and yes give it up to my town for being the ever supportive fans! :tsk:

this is not a surprise at all.
[q]Tickets still available for division series

By DARRYL MAXIE
Atlanta Journal-Constitution Staff Writer

BRAVES VS. CUBS
Best-of-5
Game 1: 8:18 p.m. Tuesday, at Atlanta; Fox
Game 2: 7:06 p.m. Wednesday, at Atlanta; ESPN
Game 3: 8:06 p.m.Friday, at Chicago; ESPN
Game 4: Saturday, TBA,
at Chicago
Game 5: Sunday, TBA,
at Atlanta

Home-field advantage might mean something in the National League playoffs, and the Atlanta Braves made sure to get it Sunday.
"We're in good shape going in," Braves manager Bobby Cox said.

By beating Philadelphia to close the regular season, Atlanta ensured that it would have the best record in the National League (101-61).

With a little extra effort, the San Francisco Giants (100-61) could have tied the Braves. But they decided that flying across the country to New York today to make up a blackout-postponed game against the Mets, then flying back to open a playoff series Tuesday against the Florida Marlins, was more trouble than it was worth.

Had the Giants tied the Braves in the standings, they would have won home-field advantage because they beat the Braves in four of six meetings.

The Braves, who open Tuesday against the Chicago Cubs, have reason to believe home field might be worth something. They lost the 1991 World Series to the Twins because four of the seven games were in Minneapolis and the Braves won only the three played in Atlanta.

They won the 1992 National League championship because when Sid Bream slid home with the winning run in Game 7, Pittsburgh didn't have a final at-bat to counter it.

If the Braves reach the World Series, they won't have the home-field edge. That was determined in July's All-Star Game, when the American League won and secured home field as the prize.

Tickets remain available for the NL Division Series. The price range is the same as last year's: from $8 to $45.

If the Braves advance to the National League Championship Series, for which tickets are on sale, prices will range from $30 to $60.

-- The Associated Press contributed to this article.[/q]

Baseball would LOVE a Sox/Cubs series, probably get the highest ratings ever for a WS. Last thing they want is a Yanks/Braves series, the whole country minus NYC/ATL would just tune it out.

Who love ya MVD? :D

Could not agree with you more, Mr. Brau1...sox/cubs could be one of the biggest world series EVER. that would be crazy, although unlikely. :shrug:

Wankee fans are the least likable or respectable in all of sports.
They have no perspective because they get a WS win every 4 years or so, they're the easiest team to root for in all of sports.

Remember that kid up the street from you when you we're growing up? He always got everything he wanted for his B-day or Xmas- new bike, trainsets, videogames, ALL the Legos, then he'd come to your house and rag on your toys. When he was 16 he got a BRAND NEW CAR, while you drove an '83 Buick Skylark w/ 123,754 miles on it? Oh, and he'd make fun of it. His rent's paid for his ENTIRE college education including $1000/month spending money, while you worked 2 jobs all year to afford college? Remember how at your 10 year highschool reunion that kid up the street showed up and got jumped by the entire class when he was leaving ; )

Well, that kid up the street is like the Wankee fan, they don't appreciate what they have, and everyone knows it, and hates them for it.

KERRY WOOD

He did it all today as the Cubbies took game 1. Zambrano tomorrow night and Prior finishes it off Friday night at Wrigley......Cubs sweep in 3!!!!!

Back
Top Bottom