Brand New Premiership Thread 06/07

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
IT'S THE RED ARMY'S FAULT

By Ed Thursday 22nd February 2007

Too much drink and no one speaks French.

Jean-Yves Guerin a football correspondent for Le Figaro gives a French view on Tuesday's events in the Telegraph

A few hours before Tuesday's match between Lille and Manchester United, I was strolling through the centre of Lille. I therefore saw the start of the chain of events beforehand: a few hundred English fans had gathered in the central square; they were all singing, which is nice. But they had drunk too much, which is less nice.

I went to get a coffee in the cafe Paul, which is well known in Lille, and the waitress told me with some concern that the English had been in the bar from 10am until 2pm and had spent more than 240 euros (£161) on drinks.

All of this does nothing for the image of Manchester United fans. Nor do they need any help in this regard. In France, English fans are considered the most dangerous in the world.

I think the French police were very nervous after the afternoon's incidents on the trains, and seeing drunk fans trying to scale the fencing must have scared them. It gave off the impression that they were going to try to invade the pitch.

The policemen and the supporters could have spoken with each other but the English don't speak French and I'm not sure that French policemen speak very good English.

The French police claim that English fans had bought tickets on the black market and that there were 5,000 people in a stand that can only hold 3,500.

SO there you have it, as usual its the ENGLISH to blame, too much drink, although a bar bill of £161 between a few hundred doesn't sound excessive to me, oh & those naughty lads not being able to speak french, thats guilt if ever you've heard it, & of course too many, don't suppose counterfeit tickets have ever been heard of in france before UNITED went there on Tuesday, so all the evidence is being weighed up as we speak, & soon UEFA in all their wisdom will pass sentence, my guess, United will bew chucked out, forced to play games behimd closed doors whenever they're allowed back into Europe, probably after a 3 year ban, & Sir Alex Ferguson to be beheaded by guillotine, oh & lille will be awarded the Champions League trophy, because of all the stress caused by those big bad English people!

Jesus! common sense from uefa, still even they really couldn't have come up with any other outcome:

Lille's goal protest rejected

Uefa has rejected Lille's protest against Ryan Giggs' goal from a quickly-taken free-kick in the UEFA Champions League on Tuesday.

Up until hearing lille were appealing against the goal I had a little sympathy for them about their disallowed goal, but after that load of BOLLIX, probably done to deflect attention from their childish behaviour, & the french plod's behaviour, & the crowds chucking missiles, hope they get lobbed out, still the chances of uefa making 2 correct decisions are about as likely as me winning the lottery tonight!

How lucky? One of the worst performances by United I've seen in a long time, how on Earth they got 3pts from that match is beyond me, really felt for Fulham they definetly deserved something out of that match.

in the premiership, i haven't really been blown away with manyoo for a while now.

they're still winning games they really don't deserve to, and that's always a sign of a good team.

ronaldo bails them out...

why do i write "manyoo" anyway... that looks ridiculous. i'll try and stop now... PROMISE.

Absolutely FUCKING mind-boggling, this from some BRAIN DEAD TWAT trying to defend the defenceless:-

Damien Vanoise, the chief of security at the Felix-Bollaert, defended their actions.

"I think we responded to what happened," he told French radio station RTL.

"There was not even a problem of communication. From the moment we saw the supporters who were trying to pull on the railings, what is the interpretation we can make from that - us, as security guards? For me, it is violent behaviour

That, incredibly is the chief of security in that backward part of the world, it should come as no surprise to anyone to hear, that when aeroplanes fly over this part of the world, for several seconds the locals have been known to raise thier knuckles from the floor, as they gape open-mouthed in amazement, gawping at the big silver bird flying over head!

jimmm i wouldn't worry too much about this whole lille thing. The French don't have a leg to stand on in this debate.

Anyway i've just finished watching the carling cup final. Haven't seen a final with this much incident in it for a long time. I wanted Arsenal to win because i depise everything that chelsea stand for but looks like it wasn't meant to be. Drogba gave a masterclass centre forwards performance with 2 very well taken goals. Hopefully john terry will get better, that injury looked horrific on the replays.

Also wigans win against newcastle today could have just as large reprocussions on the relegation battle. Charlton may be in the ascendency but im still skeptical as to whether they have enough to survive. I think the bottom 3 now could well be the same bottom 3 come the end of the season.

And i'll finish with a line from the Telegraphs match report on the charlton vs west ham game describing owner Eggert Magnusson - "Magnuson, slumped in his seat with the expression of a man who should be kept away from sharp instruments" :lol:

walcott with his first goal today! good to see... hopefully the first of many.

i didn't see the match, but it sounds like arsenal did well with their kids against chelsea's vets.

you really have to wonder though if some of these cups and competitions should just go to the wayside. i really don't think clubs take these things that seriously.

what do you think? maybe i'm off here, but the carling cup? there's SO many games these guys have to play through the course of a season be it CL, regular premier matches, fa cup, etc. plus any matches involving Country, there's just too much going on.

i think the players would do best with a little more time off. that's just my opinion though...

Commomn sense from Tony Mowbray, unlikely to make any impression on the powers that be, but worth looking at what he has to say,
A RADICAL APPROACH

By Editor Tuesday 27th February 2007

West Brom manager asks whether fans should get into matches for free.

Tony Mowbray:

"It is a surprise to me that we are finding it difficult to get crowds in and is that because there is an air of resignation about what you can achieve? Maybe so.

"This club wants to get into the Premier League and somewhere down the line compete for a UEFA Cup spot.

"That's the height of what we you can achieve. It's quite sad because we should be saying we want to get to the Premier League and in five years be competing to try and win it but it isn't going to happen.

"So, people might be disillusioned. And I'm sure there is a balance to be had with the financial side of it as well.

"Football is expensive these days and fans can become a little disillusioned - going up and coming back down - because the gulf is too big and the teams already up there have too much money to spend.

"That may be happening with the Premier League. Certain clubs are already reducing ticket prices because of the television revenue.

"I read an article the other day about whether football might become free to fans because of the amont of money generated television revenue.

"The grounds should be bursting if you don't have to pay to come in. Will that happen? Is it worth looking at?

"My opinion is that the game is awash with cash at the top end. I don't see why the game is bleeding money from the fans as well. Football is in danger of pricing the lifeblood out of the game.

"I can see the dangers. On one level it's almost glamorous to see players earning £100,000-a-week.

"But is it really? It's not if you are realistic and you see the jobs and money that hard-working family people earn every day of their lives.

"I know it is the entertainment business and there are arguments for and against it. Hollywood stars have lived in big mansions for the last 80-90 years. Where does professional sport come in the entertainment business? I don't know, but it is worth discussing."

The only thing that fletcher could do to raise my opinion of him, is, if he'd hold his hand up, admit he's not good enough for United, or even the Premiership for that matter, & F**K OFF!, * whilst he's at it, take that obnoxious RUNT, richardson with him, but thats not going to happen whilst I've got the proverbial hole in my A**E

the fletcher and richardson situation is interesting. I think i could confidently say that they wouldn't get into the starting line up of a significant amount of other premiership teams. I think fergie needs to buy more quality in the summer to replace them however he might simply spend his entire budget on owen hargreaves. Although i'm sure the budget will be higher depending on how far they progress in each of their competitions. Most importantly from a financial point of view - the champions league.

The fight at the end of the Valencia v Inter match was hilarious! The way the Valencia player planted one on the Inter players jaw then legged it, what a tough guy!

Zoomerang96 said:
real crashes out... :(

what's wrong with real madrid anyway... unreal.

To be fair, they only played football in the last 15 minutes of Wednesday's match.

Don't worry, we're lucky if we can beat AC.

My bet is on either Man U or Chelsea winning the Champions League.

i'm definitely looking forward to watching roma vs. man u the most of the remaining CL matchups.

it's ridiculous... watford doesn't deserve to be on the same INTERNET as the rest of those clubs.

and replays are the stupidest thing going at the moment. football players play enough without these stupid rematches...

Have to disagree with you there Zoomy, the FA cup's been going over 120 years, & all that time replays have taken place, part of what made, & still makes it the BEST domestic cup competition in the world, IF footballers are playing toooooo much football, perhaps the greedy bastards who organise pointless pre season tours to here there & everywhere, could just line up a couple of friendlies on home soil, against opposition from the same country, & have fifa put an end to meaningless international friendlies. As I've said before, its the clubs who pay the players wages, lookk after them when they're injured, & bring them on from youth to full team status.
BTW, Watford are there because thats Cup football for you, mainly down to the luck of the draw, on their way to the Carling Cup final this season, I don't think chelski met Prem. opposition til the final.

An amusing little interview on Red Ish....

Gill says Ronaldo will not be leaving OT: 'No amount of money could be offered to alter that.'

David Gill on Radio 4 at 07:25am today:

"Every United fan be assured that Ronaldo will not be leaving this summer."

Interviewer:

"'No amount of money could be offered to alter that?"

Gill:

"Correct."

Hmmm, wonder what a certain yank family think to that, my guess £30 million will tempt the gl$$$$s to cash-in!

No Bridge or Cole for England's Israel game.

But not to worry, right? Because McLaren can pick from any number of left-sided players having really good seasons. Barry, Shorey, Baines, even Lee Naylor of Celtic.

But you know, he's really just going to stick Phil Neville there.

england v israel, I really am struggling to find any enthusiasm for this game at all. Just been watching TV interview with steve "interesting" mclaren, how anybody could be inspired by him is totally beyond me, in a long line of truly uninspiring managers he really is the best/worst!

Back
Top Bottom