Boys say, Girls say.....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MonaVox

Rock n' Roll Doggie
[color=royal blue]The other day I was thinkin'

WORLD: o no.

And I said to myself, 'self......why is it that the majority of bands are either fronted by or composed mainly of Men?' If there are girls, most of them are in the pop scene or something. What is it? Do boys just form bands more?

I am not one of those extreme feminists....I was just lookin at my CD collection the other day and wonderin' this.
[/color]

Most female singers perform by themselves and then there are just lots of male bands.......most pop bands have both male and female singers tho...who knows why there are more males in bands....im not complainin :D

Your thread titles has got no doubt in my head "hey baby hey baby hey" :rolleyes:

That's a good question.

Many men don't mind a woman frontperson or an all-girl band and enjoy listening to it.

Many men find a woman frontperson or all-girl bands to be the musical equivalent of a "Chick Flick."

Thus, the all-girl bands quite often have to develop a schtick or they get lost in the slipstream.

just my .02. :wink:

HelloAngel said:
Many men find a woman frontperson or all-girl bands to be the musical equivalent of a "Chick Flick."

Thus, the all-girl bands quite often have to develop a schtick or they get lost in the slipstream.

[color=royal blue]That's true.

Well where the heck are all the reputable female musicians, I wanna know :mad:
[/color]

MonaVox said:

[color=royal blue]That's true.

Well where the heck are all the reputable female musicians, I wanna know :mad:
[/color]

Well... hrmm... no easy answers there.

There's always (and this list is subject to taste ;) ):

PJ Harvey
Tori Amos
Fiona Apple
Hole
Jane Jensen
No Doubt
Portishead
Cocteau Twins
Kosheen
Norah Jones
Diana Krall
Sheryl Crow

... I need more coffee but I could go on :)

Well.... the only female bands I can think of ever having liked are Hole. And look what happened to them. I dunno. I have no answers.
I personally have always preferred male bands/singers over women, but have acquired a share of female favourites over the last ten years. It's a tough call.
We still live in a man's world.

I'm going to admit that I'm a total hypocrite and come clean with the fact that although I'm very much for girl power, I generally enjoy male voices more than female. So my personal music collection is definitely skewed.

Angel said:
Well.... the only female bands I can think of ever having liked are Hole. And look what happened to them.

Miss Love formed a new band.........

There are lots of female singers aboot like

Lulu
Cher
Petula Clark
Shania Twain
No Doubt have a female lead singer
Jack Off Jill too
Kitty *shudder*

100's of them........

Sure, there are lot's of female singers, just no bands.

Maybe the answer comes down to the fact that women generally don't get along as easily as men do. Maybe four powerful women can't stand being close like that. :lol:

I don't feckin know. You are talking to someone who's friends are mostly men. :huh:

[color=royal blue]Well I know they exist but I just think it's weird that the boys out number 'em o_O I don't know.

The point about voices is good; I didn't think about that.
[/color]

HelloAngel said:
That's a good question.

Many men don't mind a woman frontperson or an all-girl band and enjoy listening to it.

just my .02. :wink:

I disagree, but that is just me. I find female lead singers in a band and female bands to be at least the equal of male bands. I look at it more on the front of do I like the music, not that it is a female so it is too chick flick like. But that is me.

i think that there are a lot of girl groups but they break up easily. think about how much more catty girls are than guys. i mean, a girl group would have to be extra tough to be around as long as u2...think about being with your friends for ever. 24 hours a day. i'd puke.

just an addition:

patty smith
blondie
the corrs
tina and the b-sides
siouxie and the banshees
the go-gos
bananarama
carole king
janis joplin
fleetwood mac
natalie merchant
jewel *shudder*

Angel said:

We still live in a man's world.

I think you hit the nail on the head Angel.

Maybe females are not afforded the same opportunities as men are in the music business. It seems that the only way *most* females can compete is to sell out to Hollywood's desire of looking/acting/singing a certain way.

Yes there are some wonderful women groups- but the men do outnumber them.

I'll add to the list Joni Mitchell though.

Hey baby hey baby hey

I think there are alot of powerful female singers/songwriters out there. Unfortunately, sex sells, and people are going to buy a half naked Britney and J. Lo (*double shudder*) before they will buy:

Bonnie Riatt
Joan Osbourne
Etta James
Billie Holiday (Aaaaaaaaaaaangeeeeeeeeeeelll)
Carole King

I've wondered about the lack of all female bands myself. I guess rock bands are still considered male territory. There are also very few bands where there is a mix of female and males. No Doubt, Blondie, and Garbage are all one female plus many males, but Fleetwood Mac had 2 females and 3 males. It would be interesting to see how the interband dynamic is different compared to bands composed of the same gender.

oliveu2cm said:

I think you hit the nail on the head Angel.

Maybe females are not afforded the same opportunities as men are in the music business. It seems that the only way *most* females can compete is to sell out to Hollywood's desire of looking/acting/singing a certain way.

Yes there are some wonderful women groups- but the men do outnumber them.

I'll add to the list Joni Mitchell though.

[color=royal blue]That is an excellent point. I guess it's not so much an issue of their existence, it's their prevelance.....how much publicity they're affored o_O Dood that sucks.

Slapnutz-- you have GOT to be kidding about Coldplay o_O
[/color]

Dont know why there is more male band then female bands, I hope that one day there will be more female bands. I am starting one and who knows maybe Ill become famous someday...........Not! I can still dream, right!:lol:

maybe we'd have more respectable remale artists if they went on stage fully clothed..........:rolleyes:.........me? spiteful? nah.........

Back
Top Bottom