BOY OH BOY WOWEE It's the 2014 AFL Thread - Page 50 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 06-07-2014, 07:11 AM   #981
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 12:17 AM
Another different jersey worn by West Sydney?! Looks like some sort of power cord or something this week. Good luck trying to build some sense of identity when you keep wearing something different every week.

I think it's a bit harsh on St.Kilda, that they should merge. They've marketed themselves pretty nicely in the Bayside strip towards Frankston. And they were a couple of kicks and bounce away from two more premierships in the past 5 years. Footscray have made a 5 prelims in the past 25 years or so which is a decent (and enviable) return (just weren't able to convert), and North won a couple of flags in the nineties. They've just been very mid table since.

They are all relatively successful (aside from the Dees). If we're talking Premierships as the sole yardstick for success, then there are actually only three successful Victorian clubs in the past thirteen seasons.

Old 06-07-2014, 07:11 AM   #982
Vocal parasite

Phew, what a relief. GWS really did play very well and if they can keep playing like they have the last fortnight, they'll claim another big scalp sooner rather than later. I'm just glad we escaped by a bigger margin than the Hawks!

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Old 06-07-2014, 10:23 AM   #983
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 11:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobl04 View Post
What fucking pissed me off was the fact that Heath Scotland, who was fucking convicted for assault, was kept on the books, but because Bootsma was fucking shithouse the club sees a chance to make a tough stand. Fucking bullshit.
Similarly, Nathan Bock's 'indefinite' ban only turned out to be for a few matches when his incident was brought to light. Still on an AFL list.
Old 06-07-2014, 12:44 PM   #984
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 01:17 AM
Fuck you Brisbane Lions. I changed my tip this afternoon to the Bulldogs
Old 06-07-2014, 06:46 PM   #985
Vocal parasite

Quote:
Originally Posted by intedomine View Post
They are all relatively successful (aside from the Dees). If we're talking Premierships as the sole yardstick for success, then there are actually only three successful Victorian clubs in the past thirteen seasons.
I wasn't using that yardstick though. I was using the entire history of three of the four, and Melbourne for the last fifty years. I was also not only referring to on-field lack of success, but to financial problems and a very limited supporter base (North, even at the height of their on-field success, seem to have troubles with both of those).

As I noted above, ideally I'd love a viable, competitive tournament (both on- and off-field) that features all existing clubs plus a few more, both to represent AFL heartlands without a team or with insufficient teams - e.g. Tassie the former, WA the latter - and to penetrate new markets, like Northern Queensland and New Zealand. 24 teams in particular would be very welcome as we could finally return to a non-compromised fixture. I can't think of much better. But if there is little ability to expand beyond the existing 18 thanks to talent dilution (this is the important factor here; I'm not saying we need mergers just for the sake of it, or out of disdain for the teams involved), there are three options:

1. Merge the weakest Melbourne teams so that they are more competitive, and so that one or two new teams can be established in Tassie, etc.
2. Relocate and rebrand an existing weak Melbourne team, and hope it is accepted by its new home rather than viewed as a cast-off.
3. Keep the competition unchanged, leave traditional AFL areas unrepresented in an allegedly national competition, fail to spread the game to new markets, and risk other national competitions taking the AFL's market share in its absence.

To me, #1 is vastly preferable, especially given the AFL's current programme of aggressive expansion.

(Of course, it's a shame nobody in the 1980s had the good sense to create a proper national competition above the state leagues, using state teams as feeders to ensure support, rather than letting the VFL grow into the AFL...)

"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 06-08-2014, 02:26 AM   #986
Vocal parasite

Good lord Gold Coast, if you'd kicked straight this would be agonisingly close.

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 06-08-2014, 02:51 AM   #987
Blue Crack Addict

Hey look it's the shit Adelaide Crows again.
Old 06-08-2014, 03:04 AM   #988
Blue Crack Addict

It's unbelievable how often we just stop trying when the game's there to be won. The entire quarter was spent in Freo's forward half because we didn't bother to use our fucking brains.
Old 06-08-2014, 03:09 AM   #989
Vocal parasite

I'm just impressed your lot were in front at half time. It's Freo, after all, and at home. I figured you'd never get a proper look-in at all.

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 06-08-2014, 03:25 AM   #990
The Male

Local Time: 07:17 AM
The game was close for a while, but I knew Adelaide had fallen behind when I saw Vlad under New Posts.
Old 06-08-2014, 03:26 AM   #991
Blue Crack Addict

Piss off Travis, now's not the time.
Old 06-08-2014, 03:29 AM   #992
The Male

Local Time: 07:17 AM
I just wish you'd be around once in a while when they're doing well. Happy Vlad is fun.
Old 06-08-2014, 05:43 AM   #993
Vocal parasite

Clearly Richmond didn't get the memo that they're now totally hopeless.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonMelon View Post
The game was close for a while, but I knew Adelaide had fallen behind when I saw Vlad under New Posts.

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 06-08-2014, 05:49 AM   #994
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 01:17 AM
I wish Interference was around in 1997 & 1998. This will cheer you up Vlad.

Old 06-08-2014, 05:59 AM   #995
Vocal parasite

I see the memo was conveyed to the Tiges during half time. Holy shit, what a third quarter for North.

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 06-08-2014, 06:49 AM   #996
Vocal parasite

Oh fuck me Richmond, how does something like that even happen?!

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 06-08-2014, 06:39 PM   #997
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axver View Post
:

(Of course, it's a shame nobody in the 1980s had the good sense to create a proper national competition above the state leagues, using state teams as feeders to ensure support, rather than letting the VFL grow into the AFL...)

It is a great shame. You could almost have had a sort of Champions League operating at the end/second half of each season. Interstate trips would have been much more momentous occasions (for fans as well). Promotion/Relegation may have also existed and teams may have been far more likely to play out of their own home ground, rather than just playing at the same stale concrete donuts.

Wasted opportunity to create something quite special. The composition of the AFL just looks like patchwork.
Old 06-09-2014, 12:30 AM   #998
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axver View Post
On an unrelated note, BT and Friends need to be banned from ever calling Mumford "Big Mummy" ever again.
This better go into the next thread title. That, or "Wankard".
Old 06-09-2014, 02:23 AM   #999
45:33

BT just added psychologist to his commentary role.
Old 06-09-2014, 04:52 AM   #1000
Vocal parasite

I was saying on Saturday that Freud would have some very interesting things to say about BT.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Sad Punk View Post
This better go into the next thread title. That, or "Wankard".
I was going to do a Bruce Macavaney parody, but that's a much better idea.

Gig pictures | Blog

Tags
ben, mcevoy