BOY OH BOY WOWEE It's the 2014 AFL Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Essendon very nearly humiliated by the Brisbane Lions Bears Lions. Not confident about the rest of our season if we're going to struggle to beat the likes of the Lions and the Dogs.

Speaking of the latter, their game against the Demons has been surprisingly tight so far, with some good goals.

BT's getting really heated up about the boundary umpires not throwing the ball in far enough. "It's OFFICIALLY an EP-EE-DEM-ICK!!!"

Is Bill Lawry commentating tonight or something? They keep telling us it's all happening at the MCG.

Yeah, what's the deal? Did Brisbane change their name?

They were wearing the old Brisbane Bears uniform, but I didn't catch the reason why.

Don't know about anybody else, but it's always looked more like a rugby league uniform to me. Guess that makes sense given what Queensland's sporting landscape was like back when the Bears were established in the eighties.

They were tweeting about taking a picture with the Bear mascot, thus my confusion, but I get it now. Our sports teams have throwback days all the time.

I have absolutely no interest in our game tonight. Normally I care deeply, but St. Kilda is THAT uninteresting.

They were tweeting about taking a picture with the Bear mascot, thus my confusion, but I get it now. Our sports teams have throwback days all the time.

It would've made sense if it were heritage round, but it's not! Though my mum tells me it was voted by Lions fans.

Brisbane's original mascot always pissed me off because koalas are not bears goddammit!!

But Alison, DARE TO BEAT THE BEAR!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9orv6i52sUY

(Don't listen unless you hate life.)

Loved the old Brisbane Bears guernsey and the reverse version that featured the pinkish colour cerise. Better than the Paddle Pop crap they were now.

"We're tough, we're mean, we're strong, we're a team. We're the very best team you've ever seen... We're the Brisbane Bears!"

Funny thing was that they were complete and utter shite for a good while there, snaring a few wooden spoons and suffering some absolutely thumping losses. Daicos and Ablett used to have field days in front of goals.

Seriously, "we're a team" is the single stupidest line to appear in any footy club song ever.

Also, re: last night, poor GWS. Seems West Coast - or at least Josh Kennedy - finally figured out how to kick straight!

West Coast's song is the worst.

Can't believe it after Viney last week but five players are going to get suspended for bumps from the weekend. LeCras and Chapman's were the worst, both elbows to the head, Jones will go as Terlich was KO'd, Duffield will go and so will Roughead.

Fitting, given the cartoonish results experienced by the Bears in their early years.

The highest score ever, 37.17 (239) (and I know that off by heart, such was the amount of stats I read as a kid) was kicked by Geelong against the Bears in 1992.

Nobody does unimaginative quite like St Kilda though.

But it is iconic and simple, and as a result, one of the better songs. Richmond's, of course, is the best, without doubt.

Back
Top Bottom