BOY OH BOY WOWEE It's the 2014 AFL Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
k1b8fID.gif

While Melbourne has been bad in the three years I've been following the sport, it never occurred to me that they could actually get worse. This is amazing.

It's hard to believe that as recently as round fourteen, 2011, Melbourne were in the eight. That's less than three years ago, but it feels like a lifetime. Two lifetimes for those who have the misfortune to barrack for the Dees.

GWS and Gold Coast are progressing at a much faster rate. We suck and blow this year, but I would hope that Melbourne will be in the cellar after this weekend with our match and Adelaide facing St. Kilda.

Five rounds after Melbourne were last in the eight, Geelong thumped them by 186 points, Bailey was sacked, and everything spiralled out of control from there. The ship is now practically beneath the waves.

Given the success of Gold Coast and GWS in building themselves from the ground up over the same period, it's increasingly less absurd to suggest that everybody at the Dees should just be sacked - players, administrators, coaches, the lot - and start again. Preferably in Tasmania. Yes, yes, let's give Paul Roos a chance, but fuck me this is ultimate basketcase material. Carlton are probably going to dish out what they received on Sunday; re-gift the 81 point drubbing, if you will.

Oh yeah I meant to post that earlier and forgot. I think it'd be great. It has always baffled me why the VFL never included teams from Ballarat, Bendigo, and the like back in the day. If the Doggies played some games in Ballarat it would make their "Western" moniker a bit more meaningful!

That's what a story in either the Age or the Hun said, that the Doggies would look to expand to Ballarat.

Ballarat (1862) and Bendigo (Castlemaine is the second oldest Aussie rules team, formed a month after Melbourne) teams have existed since the 1800s but played in their own areas... as it stood then, the Ballarat and Bendigo teams/areas were on a similarly equal footing as early VFA clubs.

That's what a story in either the Age or the Hun said, that the Doggies would look to expand to Ballarat.

Ballarat (1862) and Bendigo (Castlemaine is the second oldest Aussie rules team, formed a month after Melbourne) teams have existed since the 1800s but played in their own areas... as it stood then, the Ballarat and Bendigo teams/areas were on a similarly equal footing as early VFA clubs.

It's a shame that when the VFL was really getting into expansion mode in the early twentieth century, it didn't try to feature more teams from regional Victoria. How cool would it be to have Bendigo, Ballarat, Shepparton, etc. too? I suppose that's the story of all sporting codes in Australia though, that regional areas have been totally neglected and all the talent and money focused on clubs clustered in the capital (I really appreciate that New Zealand sport never went this way, and teams like Bay of Plenty, Hawke's Bay, Tasman, and Southland can compete at the highest level).

Don't fuck this up by being pricks at the negotiating table Cricket Victoria. I mean, a lot of that is fair enough but I think Cricket Victoria needs to acknowledge that 1. cricket is very much the poor relation at the moment and 2. doing what's best for all Victorian sport might require a willingness for individual sports to compromise and collaborate.

Country football is strong in and of itself, though. As Danny could attest the people that live in those communities live and breathe their local football.

If he's the one who writes all the Guardian's weekly previews and summaries, I read those each week.

And what a shit effort by Richmond tonight.

Shameful performance. Couldn't stay composed against the relentless defensive pressure applied by the 'Woods.

Our team is fraught by mental weakness, this is becoming abundantly clear. When things don't go our way, we panic, lose focus, become clumsy and fail at the basics. How this can be turned around, I don't know? We scarcely dictated any of the play tonight. We let Collingwood feast on countless skill errors.

I really, really want us to win this week. If we don't, I mean, wow.

I hate to imagine your reaction if you lose.

I honestly feel sorry for the fans of whichever team Melbourne next defeats. If that ever happens.

We are now losing to Melbourne. Isn't that an automatic halftime firing? I don't necessarily agree with it, but rules are rules.

Melbourne may be in front now but I just can't conceive of them actually winning. Carlton may have had a rocky start but they're an obviously superior team.

So we had a set shot inside 50 to tie it up...and threw it away. Unbelievable. It's like we're doing Melbourne a favor.

Though we haven't kicked a goal since the 1st quarter, it's good to know we're facing a defensive juggernaut at least.

Back
Top Bottom