Bowling should be an olympic sport.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
if curling is a sport then bridge, scrabbles , darts and monopoly should definitely also be olympic sports

------------------
Salome
Shake it, shake it, shake it

Or figure skating... Oh, wait... That IS an Olympic "sport".
wink.gif

Curling is the softball of winter sports. It's slow paced, it's social, and it's MANDITORY to down at least ONE beer per end (or per stone, if you're a professional curler
wink.gif
) Not to mention the fact that it's easy to mock.

It's also remarkably addictive to watch (no, I'm not some curling fanatic, though I often do watch it during the Olympics, and rather enjoy it), for some reason. Boring and bewildering, but at the same time thoroughly entertaining. Sort of a cross between bowling (or bacci, I guess) and chess, with the complexity of cricket.

You know what WOULD make a kick ass Olympic sport, though? Egg racing! Just imagine the high-tech, aerodynamic eggs they'd come up with to get an edge. And ergonomic spoons to hold 'em in...

Iron Chef Mofo,

Are you saying that figure skating isn't a sport? I am not a figure skater, nor does it really, really interest me, but I have worked with figure skaters. And if you think there is nothing athletic about skating, try jumping off of one leg, rotating 4 times in the air and then landing on the opposite leg you jumped off of. Or try holding one leg completely straight out in front of you and then do a single leg squat all the way to the ground and back up again and then then write whether or not skating is a sport.

Brian

To play devil's advocate, you make very good points except when you said:
"There is no quantifiable victor in figure skating - it's not a question of who skates longer, or faster, or jumps higher, or farther, or more often. Figure skating is based entirely on subjective opinions - who a third party feels, in their opinion, is the "winner"."

Because that is exactly what figure skating is, who jumps higher, farther and how often. That is one of the components. Granted, someone else judges and picks the winner, and granted that this method is flawed at times, but are you saying that it is a sport if there is a quantifiable winner?
So then by your definition, boxing isn't a sport, or true wrestling? I mean, often times, there is somebody who "subjectively" picks a winner, much like in skating.

I am interested to hear what your definition of a sport is.

Brian

There is a fundamental difference between "athleticism" "skill" and "sport". An athlete is simply 'a person who is trained or skilled in excercises, sports or games requiring physical strength, agility or stamina'. Athleticism simply means something contains the characteristics of an athlete.

Being an infantryman requires athleticism and skill. Combat is not a sport. Being a stuntman requires athleticism and skill. Stunts are not sport. The stuff they do in the Cirque do Soleil requires athleticism and skill. The Cirque de Soleil is not a sport. Ballet requires athleticism, and skill. Ballet is not a sport. Professional wrestling requires athleticism and skill. Professional wrestling is not a sport. The ice capades require athleticism and skill. The ice capades are not a sport.

Do you have to be in good shape to be a figure skater? Yes. Does it require a considerable amount of skill? Of course. Does that make it a sport? No. It's a competition among skilled and athletic individuals (or groups) based on artistic merit. There is no quantifiable victor in figure skating - it's not a question of who skates longer, or faster, or jumps higher, or farther, or more often. Figure skating is based entirely on subjective opinions - who a third party feels, in their opinion, is the "winner".

That does not a sport make.

Originally posted by Salome:
if curling is a sport then bridge, scrabbles , darts and monopoly should definitely also be olympic sports

Ehm, Bridge was a olympic demostration sport this wintergames. And what is wrong with darts ? If shooting with bullets and arrows is olympic, why not darts ?

Read you, Rono. ( a fanatic dartsplayer )

there's nothing wrong with darts
I like to play it myself sometimes
wouldn't call it a sport though

------------------
Salome

Originally posted by Salome:
there's nothing wrong with darts
I like to play it myself sometimes
wouldn't call it a sport though

Damn,..... all that training for nothing.

I'm an auditor
I have to study, keep up on relevant literature and go to company meeting discussing current events concerning our profession
a lot of training
still not a sport

------------------
Salome

Back
Top Bottom