Boot, Surprise, Arizona Superthread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't see how some of the verse lyrics could possibly mesh with that, though. The chorus and verses seem to be coming from totally different places, almost like it's the chorus of one song and verses of another. I'd perhaps put this up as a discussion topic on WTAHAN, but I'd rather not receive dan_smee's high school music class final essay.
I just picture the young couple on a date at a carnival, which makes it all fit. The verses all have that carnival imagery. Then the chorus comes in with that boots stuff and how beautiful you are stuff. There's also that war between nations bit, but I think that's more a reference to the modern day and wanting to put his political/humanitarian work and worries completely out of his mind when he's alone with his wife.

Also, I like it because I'm totally in love with Bono and Ali's relationship.

Hey Liam, did Phish do Silent In The Morning much live?

Hopefully this sequence will come early in the setlist, preventing us from hearing Pride --> One

But let's hope it comes after Rejoice, Twilight, and Wire.

You know, if this album more heavily emphasises atmosphere, nuances, and layers, I really hope it prompts them to dig up some of UF's forgotten gems. What I wouldn't give for ASOH to be a regular live fixture ...!

UF always ropes me back in. No matter how sick of U2 I might be, no matter how much I don't expect to get much from the album, it never fails to succeed. Songs like ASOH and the title track have an intangible quality that resonates quite deeply with me every time.

I get the impression that with NLOTH, U2 are trying to make a proper album package. The cover is a good point and will hopefully serve more of a purpose than the ridiculous HTDAAB cover did.

ASOH is timeless - it takes me to a different place everytime I put on that album. I wish we had more songs like that. The second half is otherworldly as well (despite the unjust criticism songs like 4th of July and EPAA receive).

:goes and puts on TUF:

You know, if this album more heavily emphasises atmosphere, nuances, and layers, I really hope it prompts them to dig up some of UF's forgotten gems. What I wouldn't give for ASOH to be a regular live fixture ...!

That's what I was thinking the other. Just like HTDAAB for some reason made them dig songs like Electric Co., Gloria and An Cat Dubh, I hope NLOTH will make them go back to TUF and some of the unplayed songs from JT (and, who knows, maybe Heartland as well).

Hey Liam, did Phish do Silent In The Morning much live?

But let's hope it comes after Rejoice, Twilight, and Wire.

From memory? 155 times. I'll go check.

Ouch, wrong.

Silent in the Morning - 128 (10%)
The Horse - 125 (10%)

actonbig.jpg

ASOH is timeless - it takes me to a different place everytime I put on that album. I wish we had more songs like that. The second half is otherworldly as well (despite the unjust criticism songs like 4th of July and EPAA receive).

:goes and puts on TUF:

4th Of July very nicely links Promenade and Bad (though I personally favour Bass Trap for the job), and EPAA is undoubtedly underrated. Definitely one of Bono's best performances.

Have I shared with you my alternate UF tracklisting?

That's what I was thinking the other. Just like HTDAAB for some reason made them dig songs like Electric Co., Gloria and An Cat Dubh, I hope NLOTH will make them go back to TUF and some of the unplayed songs from JT (and, who knows, maybe Heartland as well).

The band seemed to enjoy doing One Tree Hill after the New Zealand gigs, so I'd love to see them stick with it a bit more and play it on the new tour. If there are some darker atmospherics, a song like Exit would not be out of place at all (moving further through the band's discography, Love Is Blindness would suit that nicely too). As for Heartland, as much as I am forever head over heels in love with that song, I'd be very wary of them playing it today. I just don't know how Bono could do it justice. I wish they had done it on Lovetown.

I'm gonna head off to bed. But first I must point out absurdity.

Astrology can be completely ridiculous. I believe it has its merits, but listen to this. Aquarius. AQUArius. The water bearer. You'd think it would be a water sign. That only makes sense, right?

NOPE. AIR SIGN. I DON'T KNOW WHY.

I mean. Fine. You can only have three signs per element. Water already has Cancer, Pisces, and Scorpio. Cancer and Pisces, being a crab and fish respectively, make perfect sense. But couldn't they stick the ol' scorpion elsewhere and put Aquarius where it makes sense to be?

4th Of July very nicely links Promenade and Bad (though I personally favour Bass Trap for the job), and EPAA is undoubtedly underrated. Definitely one of Bono's best performances.

Have I shared with you my alternate UF tracklisting?

Please do - I had fun with your alternate ATYCLB - I can only imagine TUF would be much better.

The band seemed to enjoy doing One Tree Hill after the New Zealand gigs, so I'd love to see them stick with it a bit more and play it on the new tour. If there are some darker atmospherics, a song like Exit would not be out of place at all (moving further through the band's discography, Love Is Blindness would suit that nicely too). As for Heartland, as much as I am forever head over heels in love with that song, I'd be very wary of them playing it today. I just don't know how Bono could do it justice. I wish they had done it on Lovetown.

The One Tree Hill renditions where much better than I expected (how I wish I was there...), I could see them doing it again. Bono's voice has changed a lot since the JT area, so it would be difficult for him to sing Heartland or Red Hill Mining Town again. If he did, I would probably be too overwhelmed to pay attention to his vocal delivery, though.

Which three are those? I'll find a show with all three of them in it and get you to listen, you might get them then. It often takes a full concert to get them.

Mound, It's Ice, and Silent In The Morning. Nothing against All Things Reconsidered either.

I'm gonna head off to bed. But first I must point out absurdity.

Astrology can be completely ridiculous. I believe it has its merits, but listen to this. Aquarius. AQUArius. The water bearer. You'd think it would be a water sign. That only makes sense, right?

NOPE. AIR SIGN. I DON'T KNOW WHY.

I mean. Fine. You can only have three signs per element. Water already has Cancer, Pisces, and Scorpio. Cancer and Pisces, being a crab and fish respectively, make perfect sense. But couldn't they stick the ol' scorpion elsewhere and put Aquarius where it makes sense to be?

Being Aquarius, I always found that pretty fucked up.

Oh well. Catch you, Chass. :wave:

Please do - I had fun with your alternate ATYCLB - I can only imagine TUF would be much better.

Here you go. I quite enjoy this. Full credit to LM for the Boomerang II --> Wire transtion. I've largely followed the original album's structure, since it works quite well, but I realise the ending is a bit on the unconventional side.

1. The Three Sunrises
2. A Sort Of Homecoming
3. Boomerang II
4. Wire
5. The Unforgettable Fire
6. Promenade
7. Bass Trap
8. Bad
9. Indian Summer Sky
10. Love Comes Tumbling
11. Elvis Presley And America
12. MLK
13. Pride

The One Tree Hill renditions where much better than I expected (how I wish I was there...), I could see them doing it again. Bono's voice has changed a lot since the JT area, so it would be difficult for him to sing Heartland or Red Hill Mining Town again. If he did, I would probably be too overwhelmed to pay attention to his vocal delivery, though.

I'm still delighted that they chose to do a proper full band, electric version of One Tree Hill. It was astonishing to be there. The second night in particular. I'm hesitant to go to any U2 gigs in future simply because the last live song I've heard by the band is One Tree Hill and I don't know how they could top that. It was something else entirely.

But then I've had amazing times following U2 around to multiple gigs, so ... I don't know what I'll do next tour. Guess I'll wait and see what the schedule is, and what they decide to play on the earlier legs! If they play some really special tracks, that'll make the decision easier. Perhaps songs like Heartland could work, just not in their original form. U2 have reinvented numerous other songs live, so why not do something creative in this case too?

Remind me to get back to you on this, I'm about to go. The good thing is Mound was only played once after 96 so I only have four years to look for!

Hah, OK. How could they ditch Mound, though? It's an awesome track.

And this is an early departure for you.

Here you go. I quite enjoy this. Full credit to LM for the Boomerang II --> Wire transtion. I've largely followed the original album's structure, since it works quite well, but I realise the ending is a bit on the unconventional side.

1. The Three Sunrises
2. A Sort Of Homecoming
3. Boomerang II
4. Wire
6. Promenade
7. Bass Trap
8. Bad
9. Indian Summer Sky
10. Love Comes Tumbling
12. MLK
13. Pride

I'll have to try this, but I really don't like having TTS as the opener. I guess I can't knock it til I try it though, eh?

I need to make my own list - I already know I'm going to include both Boomerangs - a reverse refrain thing, Boomerang I appears around the middle of the album and Boomerang II closer to the end, after a few tracks.

I'll have to try this, but I really don't like having TTS as the opener. I guess I can't knock it til I try it though, eh?

I need to make my own list - I already know I'm going to include both Boomerangs - a reverse refrain thing, Boomerang I appears around the middle of the album and Boomerang II closer to the end, after a few tracks.

Really? TTS seems like a natural opener to me - and judging by most other alternate UF lists, to a lot of other people too. I'm honestly not sure where else to even put it. Possibly swap its position with ASOH? I'll see how that works right now.

Will be interested in seeing your version. It was tempting to include Boomerang I in my list - but I already have that epic UF era loop with all the tracks, so I aimed for something more concise here. It still sprawls to 13 tracks, but I think every single one is essential.

1. The Three Sunrises
2. A Sort Of Homecoming
3. Boomerang II
4. Wire
6. Promenade
7. Bass Trap
8. Bad
9. Indian Summer Sky
10. Love Comes Tumbling
12. MLK
13. Pride

Thanks, sounds really interesting. I don't have my iTunes and my U2 collection with me now, so I'll have to wait until I'm back home in a couple of weeks. But I will definitely give it a try.

I'm still delighted that they chose to do a proper full band, electric version of One Tree Hill. It was astonishing to be there. The second night in particular. I'm hesitant to go to any U2 gigs in future simply because the last live song I've heard by the band is One Tree Hill and I don't know how they could top that. It was something else entirely.

But then I've had amazing times following U2 around to multiple gigs, so ... I don't know what I'll do next tour. Guess I'll wait and see what the schedule is, and what they decide to play on the earlier legs! If they play some really special tracks, that'll make the decision easier. Perhaps songs like Heartland could work, just not in their original form. U2 have reinvented numerous other songs live, so why not do something creative in this case too?

I can imagine your excitement - I was overwhelmed just to read about it and then to see the clip on YouTube. Despite the delays for the Australia/New Zealand/Japan tour, I had wished the South American tour had taken place after Australia to get the chance of hearing One Tree Hill live.

I'm still making plans for the new tour. I'll probably try to go to a few concerts in Europe, hopefully Dublin if I can get tickets. You should see them in Europe, I had loads of fun during Vertigo despite the more or less standard setlist for Leg 2. I think the whole concert experience - the travelling, meeting interesting people, etc - is great regardless of one's opinions on their recent output.

As much as I love ASOH, sometimes I feel it starts off a bit abruptly, so maybe TTS can do a good job there.

Really? TTS seems like a natural opener to me - and judging by most other alternate UF lists, to a lot of other people too. I'm honestly not sure where else to even put it. Possibly swap its position with ASOH? I'll see how that works right now.

Will be interested in seeing your version. It was tempting to include Boomerang I in my list - but I already have that epic UF era loop with all the tracks, so I aimed for something more concise here. It still sprawls to 13 tracks, but I think every single one is essential.

Hmm, you might be right. I don't know, I'll have to work with it. I haven't decided on an opener yet. I think ASOH would make a great closer though, just as it is an opener. I didn't really think about how it could go in a Side B until recently.

Initial thoughts on GOYB, first listen through: Edge is using a very chunky meatball sound, not the usual billion-layer echo. Larry is on drugs of some sort to be playing that quickly. There's a definite trace of Muse and The Last Shadow Puppets in the sound of this song, especially in the echoed chorus. Adam's doing great. Bono's not really singing, is he?

Edge's sound seems to reappear briefly about 45 seconds from the end. Song ends with the same riff-abrupt-thing as Vertigo.

All in all? Hard to believe that it's U2, and they have in a sense created a new sound. Whether or not the rest of the album is like this - remains to be seen.

Thanks, sounds really interesting. I don't have my iTunes and my U2 collection with me now, so I'll have to wait until I'm back home in a couple of weeks. But I will definitely give it a try.

Ah, righto - let me know what you think once you get the chance to try it.

I take it from your location that you're back in Brazil for a bit?

I can imagine your excitement - I was overwhelmed just to read about it and then to see the clip on YouTube. Despite the delays for the Australia/New Zealand/Japan tour, I had wished the South American tour had taken place after Australia to get the chance of hearing One Tree Hill live.

I'm still making plans for the new tour. I'll probably try to go to a few concerts in Europe, hopefully Dublin if I can get tickets. You should see them in Europe, I had loads of fun during Vertigo despite the more or less standard setlist for Leg 2. I think the whole concert experience - the travelling, meeting interesting people, etc - is great regardless of one's opinions on their recent output.

It's funny, I think the delay ultimately worked out in our favour, since Bono's voice at the fifth leg shows sounded much stronger than at the fourth leg ones. Sometimes in South America, he seemed a little strained. And I don't know if we would've got One Tree Hill or Kite! But then you guys got longer sets in general, which I'm a bit jealous about, and Fast Cars and AIWIY at some shows ... I suppose you win some and you lose some. Whatever the case, One Tree Hill was even better than I could have imagined it would be, and to hear it performed in the shadow of One Tree Hill itself? Words cannot describe. Song of the night, and the magic of New Zealand shows is that the audience reception to One Tree Hill is off the charts, higher than any other song on the night. I mean, the news was even reporting "will they play One Tree Hill?" before the gigs.

I doubt I'll have the money to go to Europe for the tour, which is a real shame as I'd love to do it. Just travelling around Australia and New Zealand was really exciting! I'd love to see some new places, combine some sightseeing with concerts. Hard to do better than that. Though if U2 and Porcupine Tree are touring at the same time, I'll have to give it a lot of serious thought ...

Cool to hear your thoughts, U-Wen.

It's funny reading WTAHAN, with some people expecting the lead single to be just another immediate insta-hit like Beautiful Day or Vertigo and panicking because this ISN'T. And one of our serial pests returns with lulzy predictability: http://www.u2interference.com/forums/showpost.php?p=5767507&postcount=611

Hmm, you might be right. I don't know, I'll have to work with it. I haven't decided on an opener yet. I think ASOH would make a great closer though, just as it is an opener. I didn't really think about how it could go in a Side B until recently.

Huh, I can't say I'd thought of that myself - but then I hadn't thought of Pride as a closer until quite recently. The great thing about the UF era is that its tracks lend themselves to creative ideas and tracklist trial-and-error often pays off.

I still think the Knights of Cydonia / The Age of the Understatement sound is a bit prevalent in the chorus.

It's definitely very catchy, and like Utoo said in the other thread seems to be a return to a darker sound for U2.

Good to hear that this hasn't been overproduced, sounds like the remastered Joshua Tree to a degree, in fact (at least, after a few listens).

Definitely not quite what people expected, which I reckon is what the rest of the album will be like (hopefully).

I know everyone else has heard already, but I'd be interested in hearing others' thoughts.

FUCKING HELL I AM HYPER.

I wasn't hyper when the beach clips came, I wasn't hyper when all the news came. But FUCK ME, it sounds great!

ADAM IS ACTUALLY PLAYING BASS! And Lardence isn't playing a standard thing! And the effects are great! And the harmonies in the chorus vocals, awesome!

Bono sounds pretty damn good too!

GREAT first single. Tho it is in the same line as Elevation and Vertigo, it's way better!

Ah, righto - let me know what you think once you get the chance to try it.

I take it from your location that you're back in Brazil for a bit?

Yeps, I flew in Saturday to visit family. It was great to leave Geneva at -4 celsius and arrive here at 25.

It's funny, I think the delay ultimately worked out in our favour, since Bono's voice at the fifth leg shows sounded much stronger than at the fourth leg ones. Sometimes in South America, he seemed a little strained. And I don't know if we would've got One Tree Hill or Kite! But then you guys got longer sets in general, which I'm a bit jealous about, and Fast Cars and AIWIY at some shows ... I suppose you win some and you lose some. Whatever the case, One Tree Hill was even better than I could have imagined it would be, and to hear it performed in the shadow of One Tree Hill itself? Words cannot describe. Song of the night, and the magic of New Zealand shows is that the audience reception to One Tree Hill is off the charts, higher than any other song on the night. I mean, the news was even reporting "will they play One Tree Hill?" before the gigs.

I doubt I'll have the money to go to Europe for the tour, which is a real shame as I'd love to do it. Just travelling around Australia and New Zealand was really exciting! I'd love to see some new places, combine some sightseeing with concerts. Hard to do better than that. Though if U2 and Porcupine Tree are touring at the same time, I'll have to give it a lot of serious thought ...

I also got the Love Rescue Me snippet instead of Love Is Blindness and Stuck In A Moment, so not all that happy. But we did get longer setlists!

I'm hoping they will tour Europe in the summer. I might have to temporarily leave Europe for a year starting in the second semester, it would be a shame to miss them.

I'll keep my fingers crossed for you that Porcupine Tree will tour as well so that you go to Europe! Maybe we'll end up catching the same U2 concert together...

FUCKING HELL I AM HYPER.

I wasn't hyper when the beach clips came, I wasn't hyper when all the news came. But FUCK ME, it sounds great!

ADAM IS ACTUALLY PLAYING BASS! And Lardence isn't playing a standard thing! And the effects are great!

At the moment, to my ears, there's actually two layers of percussion happening in the verses: the Middle Eastern-sounding drums, then a drumbeat that's almost the same as Vertigo happening at the same time.

But yeah, Adam's really having an amazing time here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom